One and two handed animations

PaulMcGann

Hey, does anyone know of a mod that makes one-handed weapons use a few of the two-handed animations? Or is it possible to simply copy and rename them? (Idles too.) Ideally, I'd like a spellsword type that uses two hands on his sword most of the time, breaking off with one hand in order to cast spells. I've seen a mod that makes two-handed weapons use a few one-handers, but not vice versa.

That would only work if your left hand is empty anyway. No spell, no shield, no torch. Because as long as your left hand is used, the engine will blend the corresponding left hand animation into the 1hm animation.

Therefore as a simple replacer this doesn't make sense. It would require a script that excludes all those left hand cases. And maybe uses FNIS "Alternate Animations" functionality to switch between 1- and 2-handed animations.

I once started with a mod like this (as an add-on to PCEA2). But I stopped working on it when I realized that there were not that many noticeably different animations available. And even less those I could get permission for.

It would work. It will probably just look strange when you use an animation which is made for a 2-handed sword, but the left hand is pulled away when you carry a spell, shield, or torch.

Also the hit sound and reaction can be off due to different timing. And maybe a multiple hit sound might occur.

Try it with FNIS PCEA2. Make a new folder with 2-handed animations, and rename them according to the names of their 1-handed counterparts. And see what happens when you activate this folder. With PCEA2 it is also possible to change the timed events that are the cause of the glitches I have described in the 2nd line above.