Dynamically change hairstyle based on equipped hat

mmdestiny

Good evening,

I have retextured and removed the "Hair Long" biped slot from the Grey Knit Cap AA in order for it to be used in a full outfit. It equips fine, and the hair is back, but there's some nasty clipping with the female character's long hairstyle. My first instinct WOULD be to just open the hat mesh up in 3DS, as 3D modelling is my wheelhouse, but I no longer have a license for that program and C4D doesn't import nifs =/. I've noticed that the "Agent X" hairstyle is perfectly flat and thus will fit under the hat.

Is there a way to tell the game to change to a particular hairstyle when hats are equipped?

I've tried simply copying the root NiNode from the Agent X hair mesh into the hat mesh, but as I expected this crashed CK, and I really don't know enough about NifSkope to know what tags need to be tweaked/removed to combine the two meshes.

Edited by mmdestiny

Ooooh neat idea.

There's a way to script it, but I have to remind myself not everyone is looking for scripts.

If someone does tackle this, it would be like Scavver's beard change, only the event would be equipping the hat, and the changed head part would be hairstyle.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4468365-npc-grows-his-own-beard-but-wont-trimshave/

Ooooh neat idea.

ÃÂ

There's a way to script it, but I have to remind myself not everyone is looking for scripts.

ÃÂ

If someone does tackle this, it would be like Scavver's beard change, only the event would be equipping the hat, and the changed head part would be hairstyle.

ÃÂ

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4468365-npc-grows-his-own-beard-but-wont-trimshave/

Thank you Thorald. I am completely open to doing it via script (my mod has plenty of other scripts already). I'll have to take a look at the link you provided when I get home. I'm assuming that is the script you had in mind in the first part of your message?

UPDATE:

HA! That worked! Thank you Thorald! Unfortunately, even that hairstyle clipped fairly bad, but on the bright side I have a new trick up my sleeve :smile:

The problem isn't so severe that I can't give blender a whirl. It's just such a shame though that a high-end program like C4D, which I do have, doesn't play well with the NifSkope process.

UPDATE2: How did I not know about OutfitStudio? That got exactly what I needed done, but the reality is, when the hair moves there's really no way to prevent clipping, hence why they probably didn't have hair with the full-cap hats to begin with haha. Oh well, at least for screenshots it'll work :) Thanks again Thorald.

Edited by mmdestiny