Savos Aren and the Staff of Magnus

FinalEntity

So I just discovered that there's some unused dialog entries in the game for Savos Aren, the arch-mage of the College of Winterhold. It's unclear how they were intended to be used by the developers but they provide an interesting insight into the events that unfolded within Labyrinthian. The dialog lines can be found here: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Savos_Aren#Unused_Dialogue

It may be that the developers initially intended Savos to narrate the journey but eventually opted to use the ghostly mages. I think this dialog is quite interesting, perhaps it would be suited to being played just before each ghost scene begins.

I think the first line from the link above would probably just play in ambience as we approached Labyrinthian. Then we'd find Savos atop the steps to the entrance who would greet the player with the second line, before turning to observe the young mages discussing the ruin that will lead to their demise.

From then on each line of dialog would precede each ghostly encounter with the young mages. So the player arrives at the scene and the ghosts appear, but before they start talking a ghostly Savos appears and talks to the player, running his appropriate line of dialog, then ending the conversation with no reply options. I suppose it doesn't have to be a direct conversation, that's just an easy way to make the player take notice of him. After his line is complete, himself and the player then turn to observe the vanilla scene together - perhaps we lock the player in place during this?

The final line is about how he did what he had to, though he never forgets it. After he has run this line I don't think he would stick around to recount the words he has most likely run through in his head a thousand times since that day. He would disappear after the dialog, leaving the player alone to witness the young mage express his sorrow and regret, and for the player to decide how they feel about it.

I think this would add some much needed depth to the College quest line. I think more quests should build upon emotions and make the player feel something for the characters involved, as you would expect to if you watched a movie or read a book. I think this dialog with this implementation will provide a more deep and emotional experience of the player.

If anyone takes a crack at this please let me know, I'd love to see what you do!

PS I would be happy to take a crack at this myself but I really don't have the time. Between a full time job and two young kids I'm lucky to get on the PC for an hour or two a week.

Edited by FinalEntity

WOW. Didn't know about this dialog... That's a brilliant idea.

You dont even need the ghost... just the narrator would give this quest so much depth. It always felt incomplete...

Whatever someone actually do it or not, its just nice to know this dialog exists...

Edited by avallanche