Authors' Mod Block Abuse Potential

MOLERATMAN

Hey there. While I do understand your concern, we feel that it's best to allow authors to block users from accessing their content at their discretion. We do not feel that being blocked from a file establishes abuse, as access to a given file is not an entitlement of all members.

Hope that makes some sense. If you have any further questions or concerns about a specific situation, you can feel free to PM me if you like.

The main idea is that access to mods is a privilege not a right, and that's valid, but it doesn't necessarily encourage more business.

For example I just realized that I'm only allowed a single account, if I choose to become a premium member, how can I feel secure in knowing that I will get my investment's worth, if some modder didn't like a particular request I made and decided to block me rather than address suggestions and constructive criticism like an adult would?

There is literally no limit as of right now. That has to be acknowledged and looked into.

System's been in place for years and works just fine. A few people overstepping the boundaries are well worth thousands of people posting nonsense and having to deal with.

Also you being a premium doesn't mean you get the right to any mods if the author doesn't want you to. There's nothing to acknowledge or look into. For reference, this is not the first time this discussion has happened either.

No offence, Ethreon, but as an ordinary user you'll have to forgive me if I don't give your response much consideration, as you don't have a say on how the system is managed. I'm respectfully addressing the managers. If your sentiment reflects theirs then I understand. Furthermore, previous complaints of a similar nature don't make my concerns any less legitimate, if anything it encourages more attention to the problem, but as you can tell I'm new to the community.

For example I just realized that I'm only allowed a single account, if I choose to become a premium member, how can I feel secure in knowing that I will get my investment's worth, if some modder didn't like a particular request I made and decided to block me rather than address suggestions and constructive criticism like an adult would?

The premium service doesn't mean that you pay for any mods though, the mod access is the same for all. So you're not losing out on anything you pay for.

As I understand it, being a premium member is a way to support the business, and the perks are merely an incentive.

Edit: Just to clarify, I never suggested that premium membership should exempt me from those restrictions, my point was that this problem doesn't encourage me to become one, when you invest in anything, you expect good service in return, that's how it is.

Edited by MOLERATMAN

As I understand it, being a premium member is a way to support the business, and the perks are merely an incentive.

Edit: Just to clarify, I never suggested that premium membership should exempt me from those restrictions, my point was that this problem doesn't encourage me to become one, when you invest in anything, you expect good service in return, that's how it is.

Mr. Moleratman,

This board is not a "service or a business". It is a hobby. It is the place where people who like to make mods for their games can come and share their creations with like minded people. Membership is free. The mods are free. The creators of these mods are the only reason for this site to exist. Therefore extra protections are in place to keep these modders from being unnecessarily bothered by disgruntled users who may feel somehow self-entitled as to the mod's use. But we users are not customers and as such are not owed anything from the site's owner nor the authours of the mods. If we appreciate the free access to these mods and the site's owner for providing this access we can show our appreciation by kicking back some payment in the form of Premium Membership to help with the costs of running this site. With that we are rewarded with some minor privileges not available to the casual users. You may believe me when I say that a site like this one is not cheap. I may be unusual in that I like it here and do not intend to intentionally do anything that is going to upset the harmony of this site or endanger my stay here. I hope that this explanation is helpful and has not complicated the issue more for you.

Best Regards,

The Rabbit