Fed Up w/ Skyrim CTD TMP Save Bug

LilMrsMoffett

I used to love playing Skyrim, but I had only ever played it on the XBox 360. When I saw the awesome things one could do with mods, I decided I wanted to buy Skyrim on Steam and play it on my laptop. My husband bought it for me for Christmas and me, completely inexperienced with modding and the problems that occur, starting adding mods. Long story short, I now know how to update things, I now use LOOT and GenerateFNIS every time I add/remove/update mods, etc. Still, I am not very tech savvy and there are plenty of things I am not familiar with/don't understand.

But there's one problem that has angered me to no end, with no solution in sight.

Quite a while ago (not sure how long, or what exactly may have started this) I began having a problem where, after playing the game for so long (usually I'd be at least level 30), I'd go to save and immediately upon clicking "save" my game would crash to desktop. I could not figure out how to fix the problem and would lose characters that I had put a lot of time and effort into (especially since I take great care customizing the appearance and trying to roleplay as much as possible).

Once, someone suggested that it was something called "save bloat" causing the problems, even though the Unofficial Skyrim patch is supposed prevent this. The aforementioned person suggested going into Skyrim, opening up the save menu, alt+tabbing out, going into the Skyrim Saves folder, and moving all saves to another folder so that the game would no longer recognize those saves and I could make a brand new save 1. This kinda works. Most of the time, I can get one or two saves in before the problem happens again. So I'm still at a loss.

Once I made sure to get rid of any mods that didn't come from Nexus, made sure all my mods were updated, and ran GenerateFNIS and LOOT, as well as removing some mods I wasn't dying to have, things seemed to get better.

One person suggested getting the Alternate Start Live Another Life mod, which I did. One person suggested using TES5Edit, but others have said not to because it can seriously screw things up. So I haven't used it. I believe I downloaded it, but I couldn't figure out how to use it anyway.

Anyway, for quite some time now, the problem hasn't happened. I was still getting crashes to desktop fairly often, but not on saves and I would usually be fine upon restarting. However, the other day, after updating the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch (or USLEEP), the very next time I tried to save the problem happened again. I should note that I did not make any mod changes while the game was running and I made sure to run LOOT an GenerateFNIS after updating AND checked to make sure the load order was as the modder suggested it should be. Everything appeared to be in order.

Upon going into the Skyrim>Saves folder I discovered that there was indeed a file for the save I tried to make, but instead of saving as an .ess or an .skse file, the stupid thing was a .tmp file. I have not tried changing it to another kind of file, as I do not know how, but I've read in various other threads that doing so only causes MORE problems. Whether or not USLEEP is the cause, I am unsure. Another thing I should mention is that I don't have any special houses like Elisdriel or Proudspire Manor or anything like that. All I know is the problem seemed to have stopped, then upon updating USLEEP it started again.

It should also be mentioned that, when I received the Skyrim Special Edition for free (due to already having regular Skyrim) it would not play at all. It just will not work with or without mods. But that's a small matter compared to the faulty saves.

I am beyond livid at this point. Nobody has apparently offered a real solution to the problem and I know I'm not the only one who is at the point of not wanting to play the game anymore due to not being able to save. Beginning to wonder how Bethesda isn't losing money since their game is so full of bugs. You can't play a game like Skyrim and NOT save. Also, per suggestion, I disabled all forms of autosave.

I. Want. A. Solution. I'm sick and tired of this problem being ignored. Someone needs to be a professional and do something to fix the problem. I'm tired of trying to be patient and nice about this. This has gone beyond ridiculous.

I'm wondering how many mods you are running. I had a problem where my saves CTD:d my game as well. I had to start anew. You sound aware of it but just for the record, don't remove mods on a save you play on. Don't do it at all unless you plan on starting over. That's probably the safest bet here. Never heard about that tmp error though.

Edited by Niborino9409

edit: try this

most problems with crashing and the like have to do with conflicting game records in plugins, assuming you have a good foundation to mod on including cleaned masters and skse/crash fixes/enboost installed and configured properly. it's not that nobody WILL help you, it's just that the likelihood of someone reading your thread who had the exact same 2 mods conflicting in the same order in the past is pretty slim. whoever told you that you can break the game with tes5edit was right. you can also drill through your hand, and yet people still use drills to make holes in things. the only way to have a crash-free game is to look through your game records and manually patch and order your plugin list. if i ran loot i'd wind up with an impossible mess on my hands that would take an entire day (at least) to fix.

Edited by ymf331

i had a similar problem, and found out that SKSE was preventing me from saving for some reason, i reinstalled everything. all of my mods, skyrim, and skse, at first it didn't work but it started working again about 3 months ago, the only thing i could think of was that i needed to update skse and limit the amount of mods i used, i have had problems still but at least i whent back to being able to save lol

I. Want. A. Solution. I'm sick and tired of this problem being ignored. Someone needs to be a professional and do something to fix the problem. I'm tired of trying to be patient and nice about this. This has gone beyond ridiculous.

And that someone is you. You mod it, you deal with it when it breaks.

General tips for a stable game:

- add/remove mods BEFORE you start on a serious playthrough. Use some throwaway test characters. Test thoroughly.

- read mod descriptions carefully and follow the instructions given.

- once you have a nice set of mods you want to run with, STICK WITH IT. Don't go adding and removing mods mid-playthrough unless they are simple texture replacements or something. You will break your save, often in ways that will only become apparent later in the game.

- invest time in understanding LOOT, tes5edit, and wrye bash. Each plays a role in setting up a good mod list and any time invested will be repaid by a enjoyable mostly stable game.

- don't touch ini settings you don't fully understand the implications of.

I offered help, but OP didn't reply. The only thing I can do now is serve up a big helping of the usual:

• Make sure you have the SKSE Memory Patch set up.
  • Install Crash Fixes and be sure to read the description.
  • Install Bug Fixes. Not absolutely required, but it has some nice fixes that aren't covered by USLEEP.
  • Install Load Game CTD Fix. It fixes a thread race condition when loading save games.
  • ENBoost - This gives you the memory management features of ENB without the visual effects processing. Not needed if you run an ENB.
  • If you still have issues, you can monitor your stats with Skyrim Performance Monitor.

Here are the mods I have. Not sure why it requires a spoiler tag, but okay. I'm going by what it says on my Nexus Mod Manager. I've already deleted quite a few mods to try to fix things, so this is what I really wanted to keep and the mods that were supposedly required to make the mods I want work. I don't know squat about how most of this works. I've tried to wrap my head around it, but I'm not very tech savvy and find much of this difficult to understand. I was just told to get LOOT and FNIS and run those every time I update/add/remove mods. Outside of that, I'm not sure what order anything should be in. I don't make or design mods or anything like that and I doubt I could if I tried. I'm also using the laptop that was bought forme when I went to college in 2011; it's old, falling apart and I have to have the graphics for Skyrim set on the recommended settings (the lowest settings) for the game to work without chugging horribly. Thank you to those of you who are trying to help without making rude comments.

More plants and recipes for Hearthfire including Dawnguard and Dragonborn plants-More plants all DLCs with extras by Rowan Thomas - Numberland

Horse Armors for Skyrim - Horse Armors v1_5 by Mystikhybrid

Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS - FNIS Behavior V7_0 by fore

XP32 Maximum Skeleton - XPMS - XP32 Maximum Skeleton by xp32

Immersive Armors - Immersive Armors v8 by Hothtrooper44

Light Armor Clothing - Light Armor Clothing Plus Additional Light Armor by WildAce

Hearthfire Display Case Fix - Hearthfire Display Case Fix by Krucify

Hearthfire Building Materials God Chests - HearthfireGodChests 2.0 by Vincent DAmico

Vampire Sun Trinkets - Vampire Sun Trinkets by Akaman

Left Hand Rings - LeftHandRings v1_5 by duggelz

Radiant Raiment Wedding Clothes - Radiant Raiment Wedding Clothes .7z by Helgi Ralfarsson

Expanded Jewelry Crafting - Expanded Jewelry Crafting Main File by lautasantenni

Cloaks of Skyrim - Cloaks of Skyrim 1-2 by Noodles

Hoods and Circlets - HoodsAndCirclets 1-2 by shinytickles

Tame the Beasts of Skyrim II - Tame the Beasts of Skyrim II - Version 1_6 Low Resolution by hfiani - myriliam - TheSkoomaKing

Sneaky Serana - Sneaky Serana by Hobbs

Alternate Start - Live Another Life - Alternate Start - Live Another Life by Arthmoor

Run For Your Lives - Run For Your Lives by Arthmoor

BeeingFemale - BeeingFemale by Ausbrecher

A Simple Marriage Mod - A Simple Marriage Mod v1-7 BSA by CardinalBiggles

Realistic Ragdolls and Force - Realistic Force by dDefinder

Become High King of Skyrim - BecomeKingOfSkyrim v5e by Solarhamster

Hearthfire multiple adoptions - Now with custom home support for kids and spouse - Hearthfire multiple Adoptions V2_0_15 by TMPhoenix

Stones of Barenziah Quest Markers - BarenziahQuestMarkers_v1-3 by toaDime

The Eyes of Beauty - The Eyes of Beauty 9 by Gabriel Mailhot as LogRaam

KS Hairdos - Renewal - KS Hairdos Renewal by Kalilies and Stealthic

Athletic Jump - Athletic Jump by EnigmaWolf

iNeed - Food Water and Sleep - iNeed v1_602 by isoku

Wet and Cold - Wet and Cold v2_02 by isoku

Bury The Dead - BuryTheDead-0_8 by Kentoss

Wolf's Recipes Redone - Wolf's Recipes Redone - Vendors by CyborgArmGun

Weightless Hearthfire Building Materials - Weightless Hearthfire Building Materials by kieranwilson32

TARDIS - Regenerated - TARDIS - Regenerated (2.3) by ShatteredSteel

Weightless Useless Items - Weightless Useless Items by Vulture 789

PapyrusUtil - Modders Scripting Utility Functions - PapyrusUtil - Scripting Utility Functions by exiledviper meh321

Creating a Playable Race - The right way - Racial Compatibility v1-7 by Expired

Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM - SMIM 2-04 by Brumbek

Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Edition -CBBE- - Caliente"s Beautiful Bodies Edition v3.4f by Caliente_Ousnius and Jeir

Gemling Queen Jewelry - Gemling Queen Jewelry - All In One Installer v4-1c by Saerileth

Males of Skyrim - Males of Skyrim v1.3 - BSA Ver by Aberin

Marriable Serana - Marriable Serana AIO v1_6_2 by C0drm0nk33

My little hatchling Ram-Ku-Argonian boy - main file by Ryeong

ShowRaceMenu Precache Killer - ShowRaceMenu PreCacheKiller 1_3 by kapaer

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch - Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch by Unofficial Patch Project Team

Ethereal Elven Overhaul - Ethereal Elven Overhaul by nuska

Playable Dawnguard Snow Elf Race - Snow Elf v2_0_1 by TacobananaMan and SONNYSPAK

Weightless Crafting Materials - Weightless Crafting Supplies by The0Champion

Aime's Craftable Lockpicks - Aime"s Craftable Lockpicks v1.0a by Unknown_Aime

Unread Books Glow - Unread Books Glow v2_2_0 by duggelz

SkyUI - SkyUI_5_1 by SkyUI Team

Follower Trap Safety - Follower Trap Safety v1_3 by Alek

SKSE ini pre-download for lazy users - INI settings by Sagittarius22

Immersive Weapons - Immersive Weapons by Hothtrooper44 - Ironman5000 - Eckss

PSVAC - Pregnancy Scalable Vanilla Armor and Clothing with TBBP support - PSVAC - Dawnguard by gullu

PSVAC - Pregnancy Scalable Vanilla Armor and Clothing with TBBP support - PSVAC - Dragonborn by gullu

PSVAC - Pregnancy Scalable Vanilla Armor and Clothing with TBBP support - PSVAC - vanilla by gullu

Here's the list of my plugins according NMM in the order that they appear to load in:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

HearthFires.esm

Dragonborn.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp

BeeingFemale.esm

STL-TARDIS-Regenerated.esm

RaceCompatibility.esm

more plants all extra.esp

Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp

Cloaks.esp

WeightlessCrafting.esp

Run For Your Lives.esp

BecomeKingofSkyrim.esp

Tame Beast.esp

SMIM-RiftenDocksRopesObjectFix.esp

armored-horses.esp

Hothtrooper44-Armor_Ecksstra.esp

LightArmorClothes.esp

HearthfireMultiKid.esp

iNeed.esp

buildingmaterialsgodchest.esp

ExpandedJewelryCrafting.esp

HoodsAndCirclets.esp

LeftHandRings - Dawnguard.esp

LeftHandRings.esp

Radiant Raiment Wedding Clothes.esp

Marriable Serana.esp

VampireSunAmulets.esp

Sneaky_Serana.esp

Marriable Serana HF.esp

A Simple Marriage Mod.esp

BeeingFemaleBasicAddOn.esp

HearthfireMultiKid-LastName.esp

BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp

Athletic Jump.esp

BuryTheDead.esp

weightless item sorting hearthfire.esp

Wolf'sRecipies.esp

Weightless Useless Items.esp

GQJ_DG_vampireamuletfix.esp

SMIM-FarmhouseFlickeringFix.esp

SMIM-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp

My_Little_hatchling.esp

aime_lockpicks.esp

UnreadBooksGlow.esp

WetandCold.esp

WetandCold - Ashes.esp

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp

KS Hairdo's.esp

TheEyesOfBeauty.esp

ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp

Immersive Weapons.esp

Males of Skyrim.esp

TBMTrueSnowElf.esp

FNIS.esp

SkyUI.esp

Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp

Please post your plugins list, mods list, Skyrim.ini, SkyrimPrefs.ini and enblocal.ini (if you have one). Please also use

tags for them. Are you using NMM or Mod Organizer? Also, what are your system specs?

I've posted my mods and plugins list. My internet sucks so it took me awhile to be able to reply. I have no idea what you mean by "SkyrimPrefs.ini" and "enblocal.ini"; I don't know what those are. I hope I did the spoiler tag right, but I'm not sure. I'm using NMM. Umm...how do I figure out my system specs? I have no idea what exactly that entails.