Baffled! I Am Haunted By Invisible Objects At Internal Settlements

Ragoda

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still looking for answer to this since this problem locks development of several MODs.

What could cause Fallout 4 to loose links to all textures of Workbench objects?

It's not just the textures... It's losing all the objects themselves... If it's just the textures that aren't loading, the items places will go bright purple, not disappear...

Still looking for answer to this since this problem locks development of several MODs.

What could cause Fallout 4 to loose links to all textures of Workbench objects?

It's not just the textures... It's losing all the objects themselves... If it's just the textures that aren't loading, the items places will go bright purple, not disappear...

Well, I see the outlines of the objects in Build-mode, and I can place them normally. Once placed they are totally invisible, BUT they are there, and functional also.

I have not tried anything of the sort... I can only point you here:

Maybe there is something you overlooked when you made the settlements...

Thank you for the link, I will most certainly take a look at it! However, I must point out that I have already done several working Internal Cell Settlements. Only twice has this problem arisen while making settlements. Also, I have made this latter Settlement twice now, starting from scratch, and I get same problem both times.

do you use a existing interior?, or did you made a new 1?, placed stuff that end up invisible is a result of the broken precombined/visibility, you have to place everything you want true CK, then run those options to generate new precombined/visibility

some original interiors have this invisible thing when you edit them in ck and add a workbench ect, some others don't have the problem

forgot the right names and how to generate the new precombined/visibility( no game/ck installed) but i still have a note that say

1. [Optional] Place a new, custom static into the cell. This step is optional if you've already got a unique object in the cell.
2. In the Object Window, right-click the base object for the custom static.
3. Select "Clear Affected Cells for PreCombine Data".
4. Save your mod.
5. Ensure that the interior is loaded in the render window.
6. Click the "World" tab at the top of the window.
7. Select "PreCombine Geometry for Current Cell".
8. Wait for the Creation Kit to finish.
9. Save your mod.
10. Click the "Visibility" tab.
11. Select "Generate PreCombined Visibility for Current Cell".
12. Wait for the Creation Kit to Finish.
13. Save your mod.
14. ~fin~

Edited by speedynl

I don’t do anything with settlement/workshop stuff and 99% of the interior cells I work with are ones I have created from scratch, so please take what I say with a grain of chainsaw. But I have worked enough with interior cells to offer some suggestions, however. No idea if anything will help with your issues, but here goes.

You haven’t said if these are vanilla cells that you are modifiying, or if they are new cells you are creating from scratch. If they are vanilla cells that you have edited, it’s very possible your issues have something to do with the cell’s optimization system. Not sure if that is the case though, because you would notice some rather obvious visual glitches that you haven’t mentioned. If you've broken the precombined/previs system that most cells use for optimization that is a very likely cause. You should also check to see if the cell uses room bounds and portals. Most vanilla cells don't but some do. Bethesda was very haphazard in their usage. If your workshop items are built outside of a room bound, they will not be rendered.

You can check for room bounds and portals by toggling markers to On, then open the Show/Hide window and make sure the room bounds/portals box is checked. Room bounds will show up as blue boxes. Make sure your build area falls withing the boundary of the room bound markers. Vault 81 is one vanilla cell that comes to mind as an example of room bounds and portals being used. You can look at that cell as a reference to see how they are set up if needed.

I’m thinking it has something to do with how the cell is set up. AFAIK, a cell has to be specified that it has a workshop with both a keyword applied to the location and the Workshop box checked in the cell’s Encounter Zone setup. I think the main thing is the keyword, but can’t say for sure.

In the cell’s Location, add the keyword: LocTypeWorkshopSettlement

If you are editing a vanilla cell, it is likely to be set up with an Encounter Zone. Open the Encounter Zone (pretty sure they are under World Data) it and you’ll see a check box labeled Workshop. Make sure that is checked.

If this is a cell you are creating from scratch, chances are you haven’t set up an Encounter Zone. It’s not crucial for a normal, static interior cell but it might be a requirement for a workshop cell. Dunno.

That may or may nor help. Like I said, I don’t do settlements so I’m just shooting in the dark.

If you haven’t done so already, I strongly suggest you read the CK wiki entries on workshops and interior cells.

Some of the text I’ve linked above goes to the Skyrim CK wiki because I still can’t find FO4 CK pages for those topics. The CK wiki search is about as useless as the Nexus search. But the info is still relevant and more or less the same as the FO4 CK. Hope this helps.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that a user of one of my player home mods said he spawned in a workshop and had the same issue: invisible workshop items. That interior cells does not use precombined/previs, but it DOES use room bounds and portals. It also does not have the Location and Encounter Zone workshop settings I mentioned above. Something to consider.

Edited by RedRocketTV

Yes, but I mean when things are placed, when you don't see them at all, it's the models that aren't loading, not just the textures...

I think it has to do with visibility planes...

Which means you will either have to remove the existing data, or recalculate it depending on how large the internal settlement is...

You should read what montky had to say in this topic:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6202031-cars-near-the-castle/

do you use a existing interior?, or did you made a new 1?, placed stuff that end up invisible is a result of the broken precombined/visibility, you have to place everything you want true CK, then run those options to generate new precombined/visibility

some original interiors have this invisible thing when you edit them in ck and add a workbench ect, some others don't have the problem

forgot the right names and how to generate the new precombined/visibility( no game/ck installed) but i still have a note that say

1. [Optional] Place a new, custom static into the cell. This step is optional if you've already got a unique object in the cell.
2. In the Object Window, right-click the base object for the custom static.
3. Select "Clear Affected Cells for PreCombine Data".
4. Save your mod.
5. Ensure that the interior is loaded in the render window.
6. Click the "World" tab at the top of the window.
7. Select "PreCombine Geometry for Current Cell".
8. Wait for the Creation Kit to finish.
9. Save your mod.
10. Click the "Visibility" tab.
11. Select "Generate PreCombined Visibility for Current Cell".
12. Wait for the Creation Kit to Finish.
13. Save your mod.
14. ~fin~

Indeed, I use already existing Interiors. I will report if your advice solved this problem for me.

Thank you for help again!

Edited by Ragoda

Yes, but I mean when things are placed, when you don't see them at all, it's the models that aren't loading, not just the textures...

I think it has to do with visibility planes...

Which means you will either have to remove the existing data, or recalculate it depending on how large the internal settlement is...

You should read what montky had to say in this topic:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6202031-cars-near-the-castle/

I m looking at this link, and other links on it, now, thank you for the help!