New design constructive feedback

Dark0ne

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know if this has been stated anywhere (i didn't find it), but the one thing that would really be nice is if sorting preferences were saved for your profile, as they seemed to be in the old design. When i go to browse "all files" on a game page, i generally have a preferred search method (default now is "date published", which would not be my default search parameter). The new design resets it as soon as you move away from the page, and it is a bit frustrating and annoying. Same for the main pages search function (where the default filter is set to "mods").

Yes, it's not terribly difficult for me to just change the filter each time i do a search (annoying though because i'm used to not having to, so i always forget i'm not being shown mods based on my preferred search method), but on the other hand if it was something they could have in the old design, i cannot see why it couldn't be implemented in the new one.

Although i may be wrong and the old design didn't save preferences, it's just that the default filter also happened to be my preferred method. Either way, it would a nice option to have.

Another few issues I have with the new design:

- Why is it that when I'm managing the files of my mods, I can no longer see their descriptions?

- What happened to me being able to see what are the mods of the month on the main page? Now I have to specifically go to the mods of the month page in order to see that.

Why is it that Nexus now plays hide the mods, is this an effort to push only the popular mods for revenue? Ads are not the issue with nexus its not being able to find a mod you want in an easy manner.

Really sad that this is the direction that has been chosen, Modb is still an option but the sad thing is steam workshop files are now easier to sort thru than nexus.

Having grudgingly "updated" to the new version, I now find that opening the normal three or four pages as I have done now for years first thing in the morning causes my browser to "hang" for upwards of 30 seconds. Every time. Even opening just one mod page causes the same "hang". Be nice if you could somehow optimize to fix that sort of thing.

Also, no matter what I search for, I mostly get no results, and a line that says tens of thousands of results have been filtered out by blocking tags and authors, even after I've gone into settings and untagged EVERYTHING. I've only had a few authors blocked, and only a couple of tags (anime, can't remember the other one); I can't see any reason my "real" settings should have failed to transfer from the old version.

Used to love visiting the nexus, see what mods are new, try some out, maybe start whole new playthroughts of games.

Now it is a chore. I ignored the nexus a while after the change to this eyesore of a layout, thought maybe things would get ironed out, that things would be better.

just went to look at skyrim mods, and it is just a big ol nope.

Washed out thumbnails, screen clutter, the whole experience has been a disapointment.

So I look in here, only to see that the feedback of the users has been ignored, the site owner responded to the overwhelming response of "the new site sucks" by shutting the old one down, so people have no choice.

And twowolves (who is blocked so I dont have to deal with his screen clutter) is aproaching 25% of all posts in this thread.

I envision the site owner the way south park parodied the cable companies, sitting back, rubbing his nipples, self assured that people have no real alternative, so he can do what he pleases.

Thankfully I have my adblocker, so in no way am I supporting this travesty.

What hope is there for the nexus? None until they have competition. This site now makes the creation club look good.

The new site is improving, but filtered searches that are bookmarked in Firefox don't save with those filters in place for that search, but instead go back to showing all unfiltered results (all mods) as the bookmarked page that was saved instead. Also sometimes mods pop in and out in the filtered parameters. One example is the "lush and gaudy" mods - mods with that in their name change so that sometimes all of them under that name are shown and at other times only one or even none of them are shown. This is one group that I know is bugged for sure because I ran into the bug many times doing the search for all mods titled "lush and gaudy" in their name as a search filter on the Oblivion Nexus page. There may be others like this one. I think there is - like a "better" as a name filter in the Morrowind mods Nexus page. sometimes works as its suppose to and other times as no results. When these bugs show up all general search bookmarks using filters are reset to all mods pages instead of filtered results pages in Firefox on any nexus pages bookmarked as a general search (example general searches in the Morrowind nexus page and the Fallout 3 nexus page both get reset if a bug as described above shows up on just one or the other nexus pages (sections). Sorry I don't belong to GitHub so I can't report this bug there - only here. I hope a moderator reads about this bug and passes on the information to the Vortex developer so it can be fixed. I don't know if this problem runs with other browsers such as chrome or Microsoft edge because I haven't tested that. I do know it doesn't play nice with Firefox and as chrome at least and possibly Microsoft edge is similar it could rear its head on those browsers too. Has anyone else seen this bug?

Outside of the bug I reported above I would like to see the authors name put back next to the title of the mod like on the old nexus site, and the permissions drop down moved to the end after the description as that is the most logical place for it to be. Also the colors used for the background - grey and black need to be brighter with more contrast. Everything blends in. The pictures don't stand out, the text for the version number, author, etc. section is too small. If adds are added to the pages even they would not stand out and be glossed over by the average user as simply blending in rather than catching the users attention as they are meant to. Many other posts I have read make the same argument of everything blending in instead of standing out. I add my own constructive criticism to this as well.

What were once 'notifications' and now called 'updates' seem to be really "lagging". I do not know if this is a symptom of the new site or has been there all along but not noticed because I had more notifications coming in.

Scenario:

I check the forums almost every day and I access them through the Skyrim mod site. Back when the limited trial of Vortex was announced, I did not get informed of that for 6 days (and missed my chance at it - which is fine). And again the more recent announcement about the Steam card giveaway, I did not get that until today (3 days since posted). In both cases, I was only informed of them when I received notice about added comments to a mod.

When I say 'informed' I am referring to the number which displays next to 'Update'. If there is no number, I am under the impression that there is nothing new. If there is something new it should display a number of exactly how many entries there are, even if there is only one.

Furthermore, as a request, I'd like for said number to display how many unread or unvisited notifications / updates there are. Once opened whether or not a notification / update is actually acknowledged by being clicked on or removed, the number display goes away. I feel that it should remain as a reminder of how many more entries there are left to process in the notifications / updates.

Just a new thought on the new site design colors. The darker grey on the top of the pages around the pictures and general information should be a lighter grey so the information in white stands out better, and again the text should be larger for those of us without perfect vision so one does not have to zoom way in all the time to read it. Also I have noticed if you have links to say for example fallout 4 and fallout 3 or fallout new vegas and oblivion they use the same color scheme. It would be better if all the games on the nexus site used their own unique color schemes to make their links and site pages stand out versus having two different games using the same color scheme. Something probably overlooked because its been that way since the old site and just carried forward to the new site. Maybe its time for a change?