New design constructive feedback

Dark0ne

When I edit descriptions and press either the NSFW link or the Terms of Service I only get transported upwards to the top of the page. For the Terms of Service I can just go to the bottom but the NSFW part, not so much. It's in the ToS, but I assume the link is there so you can go there directly.

Edited by Niborino9409

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually don't participate in non-game, non-mod discussions, but I'm going to do so, and for a second time in as many days, here in this thread.

From a UI/UX perspective, the new site design is clearly a step backward from the old. Personally I find it unnecessarily complex, overly busy without added functionality, and far more difficult to navigate than it needs to be.

I will be using the old.nexusmods.com URLs for as long as they remain available, simply putting up with the internal links to the new site because there's nothing I can do about that.

If there's a vote for a return to the previous design, please count me as a +1.

So its constructive suggestions you require ? here is mine.

bring back the old search layout (IE down the side of the mods.like in the old layout) i know that it is already there but you need to jump through loadsa hoops and clicks to get to it.

I like many others i would guess, come here to look for a mod to do this or to do that, and with the old search it was right in your face and you would just click the cat you were looking for and bam the relavant mods wnere there nad no need to enter a query.

BTW i hate the new look but this would make my transition easier ...

Edited by ozzieuk

The new layout wouldn't let me make any changes to any mods i had up but it did let me delete them. I pulled what few mods i had up since for whatever reason it wouldn't let me make any changes (i kept getting a "cannot find page" error). I guess when everythings ironed out one way or the other I'll repost them but if a can't make any changes to them i'm too wary to post them at all.

For what little my opinions is worth on the matter i liked the older layout better not only for ease of navigation but it seemed to be much faster. It now kind of feels like that one stage in Dark Souls 1 where you have to run up that cathedral buttress while two dark knight archers are firing at you from either side. if you go on either side you fall into an alienware add and even if you manage to stay in the middle you die and have to start all over again anyways.

It's just part of the development cycle for any new changes and i have no doubt it'll be back to full steam at some point but for now I'm taking a back seat on mod posting and I'm just going to wait it out.

One of the nicer features that I used all the time on the old page was the tree for categories, and it's gone. I miss it.

You mean this?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/categories/

(Fallout 4 site used for example)

The categories page is found if you follow the "mods" drop down menu on each Nexus site front page.

Not really... more like the simple list that was on the right of the of the main mod page. More like this is what I meant: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=23.

I did see the categories list above the displayed mods, but I think the page would be better served to have the menu off to a side so you can jump filter back and forth between categories with one mouse click instead of the two or three it takes on the new Nexus page. Having to scroll up and down the page to get to where you can change your category seems to add an extra layer of difficulty in finding the mod (or mods) you want.....and with the descriptors "about this mod" being displayed under the mod picture on the page as well makes the page seem ..... busy.

1. It's too inflated, it needs to be more compact, and please put the search thingies back to where they were on the right, it was way more convenient, I could look at all the results and search for something else without scrolling on the old design.

2. Make the new design the mobile version of the site, restore the old one as desktop. Everybody wins.

3. I know one of the people who worked on the whole Windows design everyone is comparing this to, and I can tell you that a graphic design degree is not a substitute for artistic composition. It's like when I went to a fused glass class and sat next to an uninspired architect: everything is blocky, oversized, and sterile.

4. Looking at this objectively, people are telling you they don't like this design. I know you worked hard on it, but that is the opinion.

5. Considering how slow the new layout is, I won't be able to open 300+ tabs of mods like I did with the old one without Firefox crashing. This troubles me.

Other things other people have told you repeatedly that I agree with:

It's slow (especially for those of us in the middle of nowhere).

It looks like it belongs on a phone and it looks terrible on PC.

Make it optional.

The old site was a lot cleaner./ The new design is too busy.

Too stretched out horizontally (which is not how webpages are meant to be read, BTW. They're supposed to be like books, since that is how people are taught to interpret data from a young age).

Too many clicks/too much scrolling to get where you want to be.

It's clunky/boxy.

On a related note: One of my less liked Social Studies teachers in middle school once asked me what I would do if someone told me my work was not to their standards and asked me to throw it away. She expected me to say that I would start from scratch but I told her I would ask them what it was they did and didn't like, then cut out what they don't like, but waste time so that it takes me twice as long to make it to their standards.

This thread is kinda like 13 year old me, if 13 year old me cared even less and wanted to put all the complaints into one easily toss-able basket.

The new look is horrible.

The old site was efficient and simple.

The new site seems like a attempt to seem FLASHY OR HIP but it's no good.

The old site is better and easy on the eyes while the new one gives me a headache.

I was content to ignore it so long as the option to switch to the old layout was there.

But now that's disappeared and I'm left with the frustrating alternative that feels so cluttered and unintuitive.

I had to rewrite this post fifty times before I could post it without it being offensive.

Replying to posts in the main website should have the letters use Black instead of Grey for better visibility.

The new design is literally Skyrim SE... No one asked for it, and no one need it ...

Please integrate an option for turning the old layout permantly on. I'll promise you, the s*** storm will stop immediately!

Yea mate, let's have all the money, time and work sunk into this scrapped cause a few hundred people can't handle or provide ways to improve the current iteration.