How I fixed Skyrim's CTD on loading savegame.

V1t3r

About 2 weeks ago I have lost all my saves - Skyrim crashes after I began load the last savegame. But if I started new game - skyrim works perfect(new savegames loads fine). And now, when I tried to fix some problems with objects shadowing I found one intresting thing in skyrim ini tweaking guide: If you save your game with uGridsToLoad increased value and then reduce it - your saved game will not load!

So if you had CTD on loading savegame - go to My Documents\My Games\Skyrim find skyrim.ini and in [general] section increase uGridsToLoad then try to load your save.

It helps to me.

Also if you want to decrease uGridsToLoad and continue playing check this:

1. Backup SkyrimPrefs.ini, Skyrim.ini and your Skyrim ‘Saves’ folder.

2. Right click on Skyrim.ini in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim and uncheck ‘Read Only’ in the file’s properties.

3. Press tilde on your keyboard, most commonly placed directly to the left of ‘1.’ If it is elsewhere, the keyboard symbol should be ` or ~. If all else fails hit every key on the keyboard until a large, semi-transparent overlay appears on the bottom half of the screen.

4. In the now-visible in-game console type setini “ugridstoload:general” 5

5. Hit Return on your keyboard.

6. Type saveini

7. Hit Return on your keyboard.

8. Hit Return on your keyboard.

9. Close the console using tilde.

10. Create a new save game.

11. Exit Skyrim.

12. Delete Skyrim.ini in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim.

13. Reload the Skyrim configuration tool.

14. Close the tool.

15. Reload Skyrim and your most recent save.

16. Enjoy the game.

thx to guys from fullrest.

No, absolutely do not do this!

Do NOT increase your uGridsToLoad unless you want to destabilize your game. There's no guarantee that setting it back down will work. What makes you think that doing the opposite of the warning that you posted would fix it? It says "your saved game will not load". What probably happened was that you got it to load by sheer luck. Also, do not install the mod "Stable uGridsToLoad". It actually makes your game less stable.

Instead, you should try the mod Load Game CTD Fix. It actually addresses the issue by avoiding a race condition on load.

Please delete your post if you agree with me.

gotta love the irony to this, your method for fixing saves is to increase ugridstoload, yet this will then trigger scripted events much quicker, thus increasing the likely hood of game instability, as well as save bloat and corruption.

as mentioned above never increase this setting, regardless of how powerful your machine is, the weakest part of skyrim is its save games, which is also what causes the majority of severe problems, and its scripting system (Papyrus, which is very fragile and prone to instability with heavy scripted loads) increasing u grids to load could potentially cause script overload, overwhelming the papyrus system which can also in turn destroy the save games (especially apparent if you have many scripted mods that trigger events on cells, these events will then trigger much further away from you, meaning if you have a very high ugridstoload setting, you could potentionally trigger scripted events over the other side of the map you happen to be on, and all cells between that, this is sure to cause instability and potentional save bloat and corruption), scripts and saved games are very connected in the sense its scripts that cause the majority of problems in saved games, number 1 being save bloat, and then from that comes corruption.

it sounds like your post is very similar to the idea of hitting a problematic piece of hardware real hard, which rarely fixes the issue with it (it does happen), but at the same time has a very high chance of destroying the hardware completely, if you know what i mean. Example: your monitor does not work, yet sometimes hitting it real hard tends to actually fix the issue, but at the same time, limits its lifespan, and continuous hitting it will eventually destroy it completely.