Random Crashes

llloyd

Hello! I've not played FO NV in quite some time. I picked it up, unchanged from the last time I played, same mods, mod order, etc. Only replaced the FO 4 Loot mod with Gribs version since the old one broke the display after I activated ED-E and I added the MCM Hotfix to fix the disabled pause menu. Beyond that it's the same as before. But now I am getting random crashes. I am using the FNV4GB version with NVSE. Anyone want to peek at my mods and *hopefully* point out which mod is causing the issue? I use a lot of mods so it would be a lot of brokenness if I start disabling mods to figure out which one is causing a crash. >.<

My Mod List - https://pastebin.com/UNfNbsnZ

Thanks all!

Please see the 'Checklist Item #4' entry and the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide. If your problem isn't fixed with the "heap size" fixes, please provide some more detail about when you crash: after fast traveling, switching between interior/exterior cells, only in a certain area, after a certain amount of time, etc.; anything that can be reproduced on demand.

If your "merge patch alpha" really is a "merge patch" intended to resolve record level conflicts, then it belongs at the very bottom (highest numbered) position in your "load order" (LO) and needs to be rebuilt with that LO in mind. OTOH, if it is a "merge plugin" combining several non-conflicting plugins into one in order to reduce your total "plugin count", then you might need to rebuild it. The plugins included in a "merge plugin" should be contiguously adjacent to each other in the LO before the merge.

-Dubious-

I'll remake the merge patch and see if that does it. I really don't want to start uninstalling mods. Not in the middle of a play through, I have had bad luck with things breaking completely. I am thinking it might be CASM, but not entirely sure. Randomly when loading a new cell (going through a door or fast traveling) it might puke but I have had a puke or two when out just walking from point A to B, like when I put a few rounds into Driver Nephi's black heart, to not mess up his pretty head, and was walking back to McCarren when I had it puke. Restart, reload last save, and I was able to walk back just fine. It's freaking weird. But I've turned off save on fast travel and save on cell transition and it still randomly pukes. >.< I even tried Windows 7 compatibility mode on FNV4GB / FNV.exe / NVSE_Loader just for giggles with no luck. Since my last play through was on Win 7 and now I am on Win 10. :sad:

Edit: Oh! I never did list the NVSE plug ins. Here, the list.

https://pastebin.com/KDGWS3En

Half of them I have no idea what they do. O.o

Edited by llloyd

If you are in the middle of a playthru then I agree you don't want to PLAY with uninstalled mods. But you can certainly TEST without them. If you have the disk space, just backup the current game folder and subfolders to a backup and then restore once you are done testing. Otherwise at least note the last save file name before you start testing and resume playing from that save.

Once the "fast travel" bug gets into your save game, you're cooked. The corruption has already gotten into the saves. Starting over is the only solution I'm aware of. But if you have been using CASM from the start, then you should be unlikely to have that problem because it uses a builtin delay to reduce the risk.

Also, always exit completely to the desktop before resuming play. Don't simply reload a save file of any type, as they don't contain everything from the game world prior to that point. Example: you trip a mine, and reload without exiting. That mine is no longer in the game world. Only by reloading the complete game from the desktop does it get restored. While you are an experience FNV mod user, you might want to review the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article for things you might not have been aware of or forgotten.

Your NVSE plugins are fine. The "sheson patch" and possibly the NVSR tweak to "heap size" are most likely solutions.

Win7 compatibility mode supposedly isn't needed once you have the "Win10 Fall Creator's Update installed. Some people have found that turning of "Superfetch" helps with "stuttering", but that isn't your problem. That section of the "Troubleshooting" guide covers the known issues and solutions.

Ok, so your saying since my game can crash on fast travel the current play through is corrupt and I'd need to restart? As for Sheson, not finding it, just info on it. And one page, the TES Nexus Wiki ( http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/FNV_General_Mod_Use_Advice ) says that Sheson and NVSR don't exactly conflict but might cause a lot of memory usage. Peeking at my NVSR ini file I see, under Heap...

Heap = {
_comment =This section is disabled by default - see Master/bReplaceHeap
_comment =I recommend enabling it however.
_comment = Heap replacement can produce MAJOR improvements in performance on Oblivion at a significant cost in stability
_comment = It crashes instantly on Fallout3 last I remember checking
_comment = It seems to work on Fallout: New Vegas ?
_comment = Algorithms: 1=FastMM4, 2=Microsoft (slow on XP), 3=SimpleHeap1, 4=TBBMalloc, 5=ThreadHeap2, 6=ThreadHeap3, 8=tcmalloc
_comment = Algorithms numbers 1, 4, and 8 require external DLL files in the Data/OBSE/Plugins/ComponentDLLs folder
_comment = Size is in units of megabytes, and only effects algorithms 3, 5, and 6 (other algorithms dynamically determine their own size)
iHeapAlgorithm = 6
bEnableProfiling = 0
iHeapSize = 250
bEnableMessages = 0
bZeroAllocations = 0
}

For giggles I poked at the Event Viewer - Application log after the last crash (walking to Red Rock when it stuttered then puked) and it returns

Faulting application name: FalloutNV.exe, version: 1.4.0.525, time stamp: 0x4e0d50ed
Faulting module name: FalloutNV.exe, version: 1.4.0.525, time stamp: 0x4e0d50ed
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00aef691
Faulting process id: 0x7f78
Faulting application start time: 0x01d369a44e079a5a
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\exes\FalloutNV.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\exes\FalloutNV.exe
Report Id: 80960971-958d-43bb-8c7c-2e7c2f07ec78
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Which seems to be a Stack Buffer Overflow from what Google says? O.o
Ok, more weirdness, I just fired up with NVSE, not the FNV4GB, and an ENB started to work. O.o Let me work on uninstalling that and see if there is any change.
Edited by llloyd

Sheson patch:

* Add the following before the "[Logging]" section of the "nvse_config.ini" file:

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=496

Using a size of "240" or "256" is suggested if you are not using FNV4GB or some other means to utilize the maximum ~4GB of game memory. Too small or too large a heap size causes problems. Keep it under "500" (i.e. "496"), and in multiples of 16. Skyrim SKSE users may be aware of a "scrapheapsizeMB=" setting. This is carried over to NVSE, but is not used in the FNV game engine. Remember, nothing is "free memory". Everything you assign to a "heap" is no longer available to the game itself.

(It was only in one spot, so I've updated that article to add it where-ever NVSE configuration is mentioned.)

That NVSR "heap" section is only used if you have "bReplaceHeap=1" in the "[Master]" section of that INI. You should conduct experiments to determine which of those three algorithms that use it (3,5, or 6) work best for you if you do want to implement it because you are still getting those crashes after implementing "sheson". It's effectiveness has varied results for different users.

A "Stack Buffer Overflow" is a "heap size" error. However, the actual definition of that exception code is "unknown software exception" and it can apparently be triggered by any number of conditions in different applications or the system itself. If implementing "sheson" fixes it, then that was the case in this instance. If not, it is something to pursue further as that report indicates FNV is the source of the fault.

ENB is an entirely different issue, and should be unrelated to your CTDs. But eliminating any complications is the best approach.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Ok, so, created a new text file in /Data/NVSE called NVSE_config.ini, added that memory section noted above, and, well, haven't had a CTD but I have had two game lock ups. One while walking across the outer Vegas area I shot a mad bramin with Dinner Bell and the game froze in mid shot. Later after talking to Pearl I was turning around to leave and it froze. O.o

If you haven't already, enable NVSE logging and see if there are any "error" entries. (Ignore any "warnings".) Please see the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article and look for any Windows Eventlog entries at that same time as the game freezing.

Believe it or not, you are making progress. Be aware that one error may mask a number of other errors, which will not appear until those masking them have been resolved. Building a stable game consists of resolving each problem individually until none remain, and then realizing that every change you make thereafter (including updates to mods already installed) run the risk of introducing new problems. Be prepared to revert to a previous save if you do so.

-Dubious-

Ok, I'll do that next, and I pointed out, earlier, the only Event Log entry I saw when it CTDed, the 0xc0000409 was the error. I also updated NVSE and did a File Verification through Steam, only the Fallout_default.ini and InstallScript.vdf failed and was redownloaded. And now it's back to CTD, better than a game hard lock. So, off to logging.

Ugg, the log file is absolutely massive. O.o

falloutnv_error.log - https://pastebin.com/sViJ0ipy

falloutnv_havok.log - https://pastebin.com/N4Ka1xzf

And before you ask, yes, the local file does cut off in mid sentence on both logs.

Windows Application Log error

Faulting application name: FalloutNV.exe, version: 1.4.0.525, time stamp: 0x4e0d50ed
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x45135271
Faulting process id: 0xec4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d36af530e02253
Faulting application path: E:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\exes\FalloutNV.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: f093c36b-8c91-4403-b5d9-021bf0194b19
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Edited by llloyd

Ok, so, I edited the Falloutnv_error.log file, it's now only 800 bytes roughly big. I took out all the :

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (2104950A) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210B781A) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210AB86F) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210AB891) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210AB881) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210AB872) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (21049534) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210B7823) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210AA9FB) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210AA9F5) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210AA706) is not placed in an exterior.

DEFAULT: Radio station exterior position ref '' (210B782E) is not placed in an exterior.

Hopefully someone will see something that I can pursue? I've already posted a message to the NV Bounties II forum thread on the above radio station error messages that loop endlessly and spam the log file.

FalloutNV_Error.log EDITED - https://pastebin.com/UKXHz9pV