Random Crashes

llloyd

Well, I am running 1024x1024 now, the NMC "High" pack, changed it to High in the launcher settings, reran the FNVLOD program, put in the newest ENB and the ENB Boost .ini for the 1 to 6Gb VRam, ran VRamSizeTest, and inserted the value given into the enblocal.ini file under VideoMemorySizeMb= . Still getting stutters, not as bad most of the time but that varies. *hmm* I might bump up ReservedMemorySizeMB= from 512 to 2048 or something, I have 16gb of system memory so plenty to go around.

Edit: Ah, ENB wasn't even loading. Got it loading but the ENB broke my Pipboy light, I hold Tab until I hear the sound of it coming on but no light. O.o Checking launcher settings, antialiasing is off and HDR is on (not Bloom, HDR), so ... O.o

Edit 2: Which is related to a mod that turns the Pipboy light to reproduce the nightvision effect ( https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40772 ) and makes my game a lot darker. *hmm* I'll have to fiddle with the settings.

Edited by llloyd

I'm using .322, as I use FNV Realistic Lighting I think I'll use the Onix ENB and edit the .iniÃÂ to change the ReservedMemorySizeMb= andÃÂ
VideoMemorySizeMb= settings to see if that fixes things as the ENBoost specific ini breaks nightvision and makes my game way dark.

Edit: Son of a ... <snip> Edit of an edit. I got the ENB to work, FNV4GB makes things a smidge more complicated. FYI for anyone who's trying to get an ENB working with FNV4GB from Monocrome, put the D3D9.dll into the /Fallout New Vegas/exe folder and the rest of the files in the usual place, /Fallout New Vegas/ itself. But it's still uber dark at night, night vision sort of works, and uber bright during the day. It's a matter of finding the right setting and fixing it.

Edit 2: Status Update, got the Enhanced Shaders ENB to work so I now have an ENB running to let me use all of the memory available. Still lags on occasion but not often. Which makes me wonder if more VRam would be useful? I have it set to max of 4096 (which is my cards capacity) and 512 cache (apparently max I can set in the ENBlocal.ini file) so...

Edited by llloyd

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Ugh. I finished up the last play through and started a second but with Project Nevada and the lag is back. Played a couple of days now (and up to the point I am in New Vegas) and nada, it's here to stay. I only added PN and the WMX / PN and DLC / PN patch files, uninstalled and reinstalled UHud (what they say to do when adding new HUD elements, like PN) and let Loot sort the mess then moved Realistic Wasteland Lighting back to the bottom just above the FNVLod.esp (since the mod author wants it loaded last) , then recreated the merge patch and put that at the very bottom under the FNVLod.esp file. So, even though I didn't touch the textures, and still running the ENB with it configured to my card's memory (4094 Mb) , it's once again freeze lagging. >.<

Please see the 'LOD/VWD Texture Packs' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. You need to re-run FNVLODGen every time you change your "load order", as it is highly dependent upon that specific sequence of mods.

Stutter and lag are not restricted to graphics; merely more visibly related. But mods that have a very broad scope (such as "overhauls" of lighting and weather that affect everything) have the most impact. And ones that absolutely MUST be installed after the "merge patch" file in order to work correctly are more likely to cause problems for other mods. That install requirement is so they can override all other conflicting mods, while the purpose of the "merge patch" is to get them to work together by resolving only the individual conflicting "records". (See the 'Third Rule: The Rule of One' and 'Merge Patch File' sections of the "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.) Installing after the "merge patch" sort of defeats the purpose, no?

You can't always have everything. Sometimes you have to decide which is more important.

-Dubious-

Well, that's why I put the Realistic Wasteland Lighting mod third last instead of dead last, to let the FNVLod over ride what it needs to on it to improve LOD and the merge patch is absolute last so it can override everything. Though, oddly, LOOT keeps sorting the merge patch a lot higher, usually around the middle. I have to drag it down to the bottom, same with the Realistic Wasteland Lighting.

Uh-oh: apparently you don't realize that you need to deactivate your "merge patch file" and rebuild it (and the LOD "quads" by re-running FNVLODGen) along with re-activating any wholly incorporated and subsequently deactivated plugins, every time you change your "load order". Otherwise the patch is not reconciling record level conflicts correctly, especially when their position in the sequence changes. (Just one of the reasons I prefer to use Wrye Flash's "Bashed Patch". Rebuilding 10K records manually every time the LO changes gets tiresome fast.)

Otherwise I tend to agree with your choice of the "last plugins" positioning even though the RWL people want it differently.

-Dubious-

Umm, it's why it's now Merge Patch Gamma instead of Merge Patch Beta, I rebuilt the merge patch when the load order was correct (after dragging Realistic Wasteland Lighting back to where it belongs. >.<) and loaded it all except the Merge Patch Beta into FNVEdit and told it to make a new merge patch and named it Merge Patch Gamma. I just reran the FNVLod.exe as well and let's see how that affects things.

Edit: Clarification, even though everything was loaded not everything had conflicting records. Let's see. FalloutNV.ESM, Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Lonesome Road, YUP, PN Equipment, WMX, ResNonLorePac.esp, ResLorePackNV.esp, Rivens Eye Scapes, WMX POP Merged, NV Bounties II, and The Inheritance.

Wait, hold on, that can't be helping anything. Poking at the old mods I haven't touched since the last time I played years ago before the last playthrough. Just realized ResNonLore and ResLore are separate versions that is merged in Rivens Eye Scapes. O.o Ok, so I have to drop those two mods and see if the whole system blows up or not, if not, then remake the merge patch (delta) and redo the LOD thingy. >.<

Edited by llloyd