If anyone was wondering .. I tried 1.1.1.1 for a long while, but eventually went back to having 9.9.9.9 as Primary, and using 1.1.1.1 as Secondary DNS

Reason is Quad9 protects me from loads of malware sites and links, but 1.1.1.1 not so much.

With the advent of Google Chrome possibly amending what it allows Extensions to do (UBlock Origin could become so severely hamstrung with this change its author Raymond Hill has said UBlock Origin may no longer be able to exist due to the new API, it is also a major concern for AD Block Plus and other similar browser extensions too).

So without such extensions utilising some kind of list of bad URLs (like MVPS Hosts file used to, and the well known EasyList of filters which was basicly MVPS Hosts plus a few more thousand bad site lists), some kind of filtering will have to be done another way ..

.. Quad9 can do that for you instead if you find one day your trusty browser extension has died. Not quite as good as UBlock Origin and everything else it does besides filtering URLs, but at least a good filter of all bad sites is better than nothing.

Edited by Guest

If anyone was wondering .. I tried 1.1.1.1 for a long while, but eventually went back to having 9.9.9.9 as Primary, and using 1.1.1.1 as Secondary DNS

Reason is Quad9 protects me from loads of malware sites and links, but 1.1.1.1 not so much.

With the advent of Google Chrome possibly amending what it allows Extensions to do (UBlock Origin could become so severely hamstrung with this change its author Raymond Hill has said UBlock Origin may no longer be able to exist due to the new API, it is also a major concern for AD Block Plus and other similar browser extensions too).

So without such extensions utilising some kind of list of bad URLs (like MVPS Hosts file used to, and the well known EasyList of filters which was basicly MVPS Hosts plus a few more thousand bad site lists), some kind of filtering will have to be done another way ..

.. Quad9 can do that for you instead if you find one day your trusty browser extension has died. Not quite as good as UBlock Origin and everything else it does besides filtering URLs, but at least a good filter of all bad sites is better than nothing.

It was my understanding that Chrome was going to incorporate the ad-blocking features directly into the browser..... Which would be fine, if it works as well as Ublock does......

Yep, or maybe they will come to a compromise that will be covered by whats left of UBlock Origin after the API goes to v3, and whatever google chrome will do in addition. One of the Chromium devs later says :

I'd also like to reiterate a few points:
- The webRequest API is not going to go away in its entirety. It will be affected, but the exact changes are still in discussion.
- This design is still in a draft state, and will likely change.
- Our goal is not to break extensions. We are working with extension developers to strive to keep this breakage to a minimum, while still advancing the platform to enhance security, privacy, and performance for all users.

We will just need to wait and see how it goes.

hile still advancing the platform to enhance security, privacy, and performance for all users.

Yeah, lets improve security by breaking ad-blockers, you know, the first line of defense against malicious ads, the favorite avenue for scammers these days.......

Nice to know that this isn't anything that will be happening any time soon though.