Spawns of the Commonwealth (WOTC 2 New Thread)

SMB92

Hi all,

Decided to start a new thread to match the new Discord server (info below in second post). Since the previous thread (found here) I started some time ago, the core scope and features of the mod has advanced significantly.

EDIT MAY 2018:

SOTC has undergone a lot of changes over the past 12 months of development, and is now a fully modular engine of it's own. This means that third party modders can make addons for this mod. I have deleted all the older documentation that was on this page as a lot of it is outdated now, and as of this moment there isn't a whole great deal of documentation as I haven't had time to write it. However you can find a fair amount of commentary in my scripts. Speaking of which SOTC now has a Github!

https://github.com/SMB92/F4-SpawnEngine

You may have noticed I have changed the name. That is correct, it is now called SpawnEngine (aka SOTC) as this better reflects what the mod is.

If you would like to follow the project more closely, I'd recommend you join my Discord server (link in sig). I spend most of my social time there these days.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I am here to make a "Formal Public Apology" to anyone who visited the old SOTC Discord server and to anyone who was on the new server yesterday and read the post made by a former team member in the "f4 general mod talk" channel.

As the senior member of the group I should have seen where things were going sooner, and when I did I took a passive approach to trying to solve the issue. Yesterday was a breaking point, and the end result was the team member in question being banned from the server.

However I'm not trying to lay mine or SMB's part in this mess off on anyone else. We're just as guilty as anyone because we allowed our server to become a hostile and unfriendly place to be. This was never our intention nor was our intention to offend our visitors. We started a new server with the sole intention of changing the atmosphere and the public perception of our server, unfortunately yesterday a post was made that was so hateful that we feel nothing short of a public apology is in order.

We f***ed up and there is no other way of saying it, we will try and do better in the future. At this point in time all we can do is to apologize, we understand that some people will not accept this apology and rightfully so.

Thanks for you time and again your have both mine and SMB's "Sincere Apologies" and we hope you enjoy your time on the new server should you choose to join.

-Glass

Edited by Glass1411

Here is the invite to our new and fresh server: https://discord.gg/u6DWaPZ

The reason why we have a new server is because the last one was trashed and unorganised. We were running a lawless society and while I thought it was cool at first to have no rules, we ultimately paid the price for what that entails. Apologies to anybody that may have got the raw end of that stick. Needless to say, we now have a much nicer structure and rules. Cos people need a government! Lol.

HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER: If you are interested in becoming a recognised member we got a fun little system going on. When you join, you'll see there is a channel at the top of the list called "membership and roles" under the SERVER INFO category. There you will find a detailed list of F4 Factions that you can join. All of these are the same, we just thought it would be fun for our members to represent a faction in our server, given this is a giant spawn mod after all :smile: You can request membership in the Public Channels category under a channel called "membership requests" (quite fittingly). Members have more access to certain channels.

It's okay to be a lurker, but generally we don't automatically make people a member straight away. You can be a member without dropping a request to join a faction, but we don't go through it all the time and add new joiners. We generally respond much faster to requests in that channel made for that purpose.

At this stage the server is small and contains not a lot of information. It will be the place for all alpha/beta testing in future so if you are interested in following the mod, it will be the place to be.

Ah... not sure what was happening with the discord stuff (just stopped in to see if there was any update timeline or anything as far as progress n the project) but glad that got squashed. Starting to run through and update all my FO4 mods and wanted to see if there was some availability on an update for this one. :)

@Gothpunk4Christ,

Unfortunately there is not a beta available at this time. Looks we'll be waiting till after Christmas. The mod is that at stage of being too big for a small Alpha like we had before, but not complete enough for a Beta.

Edited by Glass1411

Thanks SMB92 for your mod insight and I can tell it will be a great mod.

Interesting that you are including the T-800 Terminators so they will come to enhance the challenge we are looking for. Are they part of the Institute faction ?

Ah... not sure what was happening with the discord stuff (just stopped in to see if there was any update timeline or anything as far as progress n the project) but glad that got squashed. Starting to run through and update all my FO4 mods and wanted to see if there was some availability on an update for this one. :smile:

Don't need an alpha or beta, was just curious as to the progress, is all. Will check back in a few more weeks, just to sort of poke my head in and see what's going on. :)

Thanks SMB92 for your mod insight and I can tell it will be a great mod.

Interesting that you are including the T-800 Terminators so they will come to enhance the challenge we are looking for. Are they part of the Institute faction ?

They are a part of the Institute, however there are a few options one can take - You can have them activated after a certain story event, you can activate them straight away and have them appear with Institute groups as a potential boss, or you could also have them appear by themselves, on rare occasions.

@Goth - I've only just begun looking into the problem I was having previously, ultimately deciding how the code for extra features and systems is going to work, and ultimately where it will reside and what refactoring is required on the main spawn script. The idea is to keep functions here generic so that almost any script from anywhere could potentially access the core system and manipulate or tap into information stored in an instance. Its rather tricky to deal with, as I constantly have to simulate the scenarios in my head and try to find the best medium for both performance and functionality, with a back-of-mind consideration for extensibility. Not as easy as I might have thought before getting to this stage.

Once I have worked through this part, The next stage is to start building the menu to control it all. This much I am dreading. After that, simply just start filling it all in, one region at a time. This is also a timely process as I must manually drop in spawn points at relevant locations for each system.

@Goth - I've only just begun looking into the problem I was having previously, ultimately deciding how the code for extra features and systems is going to work, and ultimately where it will reside and what refactoring is required on the main spawn script. The idea is to keep functions here generic so that almost any script from anywhere could potentially access the core system and manipulate or tap into information stored in an instance. Its rather tricky to deal with, as I constantly have to simulate the scenarios in my head and try to find the best medium for both performance and functionality, with a back-of-mind consideration for extensibility. Not as easy as I might have thought before getting to this stage.

Once I have worked through this part, The next stage is to start building the menu to control it all. This much I am dreading. After that, simply just start filling it all in, one region at a time. This is also a timely process as I must manually drop in spawn points at relevant locations for each system.

Sounds like it's in good hands at least, it's hard to think ahead on certain things and try to imagine every scenario and build a good product around that, but that's the sign of a good developer, someone who at least cares about the quality of the final product, thank you for that.

It'll be worth the wait.

• 2 weeks later...