Random temp freezes from mods

loggabhod

It would appear as though I am having an issue where I will get random temporary freezes in the world space due to mods. At first I thought it was just my system reaching its limit, but after checking task manager its clearly not the case. So I disabled my mods in large groups and launched the game and saw if the pauses still happened, I continued until I managed to weed out the mod causing it. Better Locational damage was causing it, I went to the bug section of the mod page and reported it. He replied with a whole list of things to try such as texture optimization, ini files, game cache, updating drives, none of which worked. So I just disabled the mod and assumed it was a 1 off thing. Not to long after a few other mods caused it as well but they where minor so I did use them either. Today I was greeted with a mod I could not ignore having this issue, FROST, and even worse the unofficial patch. So now I must confront it.

Now Im going to share what I've gathered, as far as I can tell these are not cases of mod conflicts, after determining the mod I the proceeded to disable all other mods leaving only the mod in question enabled. I would still have these temp freezes. They only occur in the world space, they happen at the same spots if saved before reaching the one of the spots. I have video of it occurring right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZp6cfIof8g&t=4s skip 1 min in to see freezes.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

Gtx 1060

WD Blue 500GB SSD

8gb of ram

Edited by loggabhod

It's a RAM issue. Start using ENBoost and set its localenb.ini to 11264MB if the 1060 has 6GB of V-RAM. Detract 1024MB per GB the GPU has less than 6GB.

Just tried it, no luck. The first mod (the mod causing it in that vid) I had this issue with is better locational damage. Which isn't a hefty mod and just to determine that this wasn't a lack of ram, I disabled the plugins for all my mods, as you can see in the vid, except for it and it still gave me the issue. I know it has to do with loading a new area but whats causing it is unknown. Better locational damage doesn't even add new textures or items, its all damage reworks. One time I even got this issue from a face preset with piper. That being said I don't believe its an issue with ram.

I have exactly the same problem but I dont use better locationas

What I do is I find a spot that causes the freezes to happen, then load that last save I made before I got to that spot. then get close to the spot and make a test save. The test save will allow you to determine which mod is causing it. Go through the plugin list and disable groups of around 8 then load up the game and walk through the test spot, if it still freezes those mods are safe and you test another group, if it stops freezing, its one of those mods then you just weed it out.

This isn't a fix but rather a temporary solution. Also the pauses are also a symptom of lacking RAM though it isn't the case for me so also make sure it isn't the case for you.

Edited by loggabhod

Hi

That looks like an I/O freeze to me. I/O freezes usually accrue when a cell with lots of content is loading. I got them around built up settlements and areas with large NPC counts. They are always in the same place & severity depends on system resources.

First off you need more ram (16gb). That would take the pressure off your SSD. I used 8gbs until I started modding this game. It needs more.

Also add these values to your Fallout4.ini

uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

My i7 6700k rig uses the lines to remove I/O mini freezes. My i7 2600k rig does not need it at all. They both use the same brand SSD.

Good Luck.

Hi

That looks like an I/O freeze to me. I/O freezes usually accrue when a cell with lots of content is loading. I got them around built up settlements and areas with large NPC counts. They are always in the same place & severity depends on system resources.

First off you need more ram (16gb). That would take the pressure off your SSD. I used 8gbs until I started modding this game. It needs more.

Also add these values to your Fallout4.ini

uInterior Cell Buffer=12

uExterior Cell Buffer=144

iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

My i7 6700k rig uses the lines to remove I/O mini freezes. My i7 2600k rig does not need it at all. They both use the same brand SSD.

Good Luck.

Nope, no such luck. As I said above, most of the mods that cause this issue are VERY light mods that require almost nothing to run and yet they and they alone when activated cause the freezes. If it caused it with all others enabled I or if it were caused by heavy mods I would consider it but when the little mods causing it are doing all themselves it leads me to believe that there is something else wrong here. That being said I don't think increasing my ram would prevent this. I have many other mods that you would expect to cause this kind of issue and yet they don't even with 100+ other mods on top of them and yet these small ones do this alone. Perhaps all the mods that have caused it have something similar that cause it or maybe its my lack of DLC, none of the mods that have caused it required it but still.

Regardless I will be getting more ram for Christmas and I'll see if the extra ram helps the SSD but I would like to see if its something else so I don't install the new ram and have the unpleasant surprise of still getting this issue.

Edited by loggabhod

FOUND IT! It was https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20445/? mainly because there was suppose to be 2 main files that you install separately but nexus give an nmm option which only downloads on of the 2 main files. No more issues, I still don't see how this would only collide specific mods like BLD or Frost and not just all mods, but it did and now it doesn't so i'm all good here.

Edited by loggabhod