PS4 mods and scripting

SKKmods

Having taken advice from some PS4 pros I have abandoned the port as just too much effort for the outcome.

Yes I could deliver some functionality using quest create fills, vanilla scripts and objects, but investing to learn how to dumb down and deliver a less good experience is not a good use of time.

I am surprised that resources like "how to dumb down your scripted mods for the PS4" or simply "how to get s#*! done on the PS4" don't exist ...

The primary focus of my mods is also Papyrus scripting. When I first started releasing mods almost a year ago, I, too ran in to the PS4 problem. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever managed to slip something past Bethesda's packaging process and load it on to their platform. That said, I haven't read the material mentioned in this thread and I'm making it a point since it looks like good reading.

Every time I see one of these threads I follow it, just in case there's been a change. And every time, the extraordinary effort by chucksteel comes up (in link posted to thread). It's frustrating that my PS4 followers can't use anything I make.

• 2 years later...

You probably can't. They don't allow scripting. PS4 mods are as basic as it gets :tongue:

I wouldn't be so sure about it being "as basic as it gets", that's kind of an offensive way to put it if I'm honest. They don't allow new scripts on PS4, sure, but you can tamper with existing scripts, and manipulate other functions to your advantage, all within the ballpark of not breaking the rules. All it takes is experimentation and creativity. With ingenuity you can move past most of the PS4's hurdles.

Edited by xXxSyNc08

esp file is okay but any external assets (texture, scripts, animation ,etc) r not allowed for PS4 ... Hopefully Sony changed their policy for any future Bethesda game ...

Sure you can't import external scripts, but you can still edit existing ones and manipulate those. I guess what I'm trying to say is, messing with scripting isn't completely off the table if you know how to work around it. Even with the restrictions.

In all honesty. I'm happy the restrictions exist. It's forced me and others to think outside of the box, in order to achieve the similar effects of custom scripts. The restrictions spark ingenuity.

Hopefully Sony changed their policy for any future Bethesda game ...

Not going to happen. Sony couldn't care less about modding, all they care about is a) making shitloads of money while b) retaining absolute control over their platform.

Remember, Sony is the kind of corporation that would slip a rootkit onto your PC, under the guise of "copy protection".

Only one solution: Don't buy their s#*!.

Only one solution: Don't buy their s***.

^ THIS + 1 million

One of the (several) reasons I limit my creations by not using F4SE is to ensure that 99% of my content is avalable on Xbox to recognise* Microsoft's open and mature apporach to mods (within the technical platform limiations), whilst punishing* Sony for being corporate ass-hats.

(*) not that Microsoft or Sony actually care, but it makes *me* feel good :pirate: #modsmatter

I'm not too familiar with the details, but I think Sony use PKI signatures on all the software thats published for their ecosystem.

This means:

- Noone except Sony (in possession of the private key(s) required to create valid PKI signatures) may issue valid PKI signatures for the ecosystem

- Software without valid PKI signature(s) issued by Sony, may not be published (or even loaded) into the ecosystem

- A game publisher submits their software to Sony for approval, will get PKI signatures if approved

- Console loads the software and verifies the PKI signature(s) on the files

- Files for which no signature can be found are rejected (not loaded) by the Console

- Files for which the signature does not verify (because they were altered in some way) are rejected by the Console

- If Sony, at some point, decides that it doesn't want to do business with you (as a publisher) any longer, they may revoke all your PKI signatures and all your Software immediately stops working on all the consoles

Circumventing such a scheme is not trivial because of the always-online nature of things.

If someone were to swap out the public keys in their console, the Console likely would be unable to log onto the Sony network and perhaps wouldn't work at all. Lots of (most?) games wouldn't work either w/o network.

It's also totally impractical to demand of your users to swap out the public keys in their consoles, in order to use your (self published) software.

In other words: They got both their users and publishers by the balls.