Game Resets my Mods Upon Startup

RieValentine

So this started happening a couple days ago. It's an odd issue.

I've updated Nexus and everything. It also happens to mods that are also not installed via the Nexus.

One, it doesn't do a mod limit anymore. It's been running fine up to this point.

I loaded a save, and everything modded was unequipped, and my settlement objects were gone. Everything. The mods had loaded up, seemed like they were there, BUT they also seemed to go through the in-game reinstall process (Like Snap-n-Build had the pop-up saying it successfully installed despite it had not been reinstalled). The DLC had popped up with the quests as if they were reinstalled. My character had lost her hair, equipment, everything, although I could still respawn it via the console commands and re-equip it.

I figured I just had a corrupted save and just made a new game. The new game worked fine... until I started it up again.

Same issue.

I've looked everywhere and it doesn't seem like this issue had been brought up in other forums, and I had updated the Nexus, restarted Steam, reinstalled F4SE, and I hate for my last resort to be to reinstall the game and reactivate all my mods... especially when it isn't guaranteed to fix the issue.

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same issue, it happens to me occasionally.

Don't know why this is happening, I can't find a concrete solution to this annoying bug. It is not a very common problem, only workaround I know is loading a previous uneffectted save and try again.

It seems something cause a corruption to the game at some random point, so saving frequently (not quick or auto save) maybe helps.

But all of these are temporary, I don't know a permanent way to solve it, and I can't find either. I did a through search for this issue and nobody knows about what causing this.

• 5 months later...

Thread's a bit old, but quite relevant to my current situation. Thread started in December and by now (End of June) no solutions to the problem have made themselves known.

Here's what's known or assumed so far:

The issue also exists in Skyrim. With Skyrim, the issue is theorized to be caused bu NMM or ModOrganizer misreporting the amount of plugins, causing a total re-initialization upon loading into a save. In NMM's case, a natural limitation puts a soft cap on how many mods you can have in total, averaging between 240 and 260 mods before problems arise. (Based on user report variations) Skyrim's solution is to delete plugins until functional again, but was unsuccessful in my testing with Fallout 4 even after confirming NMM was no longer overloaded.

The issue is persistent through multiple save files. Further, the original file that is initially affected may show no symptoms. (Like my own) However, upon creating a new save file based on this symptomless one, all further iterations will reinitialize all plugins. Be warned: If you load a seemingly unaffected save file, make an immediate and identifiable hard save and qqq out. Reload and see if problems persist on the new save. (Just attempted on affected game, successfully loaded in with mods intact)

This is likely not a conflict between mods, as even "vanilla" files like Far Harbor and Nuka World are affected just as much as user-made content. Creation club content is affected too.

Thus far, no practical solutions have presented themselves in my research. The only useful solution is already mentioned earlier in the thread. Reload a save that is unaffected and continue from there. From those who have tried, it seems to me that there is a minor risk of recurrence later on down the line. This implies that the core issue has yet to be addressed by anyone. Frustrating, no?

All that said, my technical knowledge of file interactions and mod creation in general is speculative and empirical at best, therefore my information could potentially be inaccurate. But it all seems to hold up in practice. If, as was speculated by the Skyrim community, it is a conflict between the mod organizer program and the game, we may be able to explore solutions. Being that people seem to think NMM was mis-reporting the mod files to the game, if one can figure out how to circumvent that action by NMM then we're in business. (Theoretically) But their solutions did NOT work for Fallout 4, so it may still be a separate issue entirely. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Edit: May not be relevant, but who knows? It occurs to me that I did two things before experiencing this glitch for the first time. Anyone else do this before encountering the issue? I batch built pretty much all available files in Bodyslide to accommodate a mod. That mod was a part of a lover's lab framework (Because why not?) of which I installed 4 mods in the same instance. From there, it was playable from my initial save. But every save spawning from that one encountered the glitch. I more suspect my amateur usage of bodyslide might be a contributor, but that requires corroboration from the community.

Edited by redeyekado666

• 1 year later...

This is now happening to me and I was hoping someone somewhere had a solution.

Old saves work, but after I save then it impacts the new save.

Also worth noting, the old saves that have worked have had the warning that a mod that was being used is gone (Which was fine).

The new saves don't do that even when I remove a mod.

I am using vortex.

I got the same problem when I'm loading a save for some reasons every mods re-initialize and everything from build structures to what I looted from mods desapeare.
I didn't have this issue before recently replaying Fallout 4 uninstalling my hold NMM for Vortex, so I'm deducing it's a vortex issue. I'm pretty sure Vortex have some kind of access to saves and mod loading since it is possible to purge mods from saves without disabling them manually ...

Okay, i was looking forward for a solution and I tumbled accross the "restore save" option which appears with a right click on a saved game in vortex save panel, I clicked it and it seemed that mods didn't show up in game, after several tries I decided to disable enable every single mods of my loading list untilm then averything works just fine, didn't had any issue with pop ups of injecting showing up or item desappearance !

Edited by bOMKHA

• 1 month later...

This is now happening to me and I was hoping someone somewhere had a solution.

Old saves work, but after I save then it impacts the new save.

Also worth noting, the old saves that have worked have had the warning that a mod that was being used is gone (Which was fine).

The new saves don't do that even when I remove a mod.

I am using vortex.

* I'm using M02 and its by far the most annoying thing i have ever delt with. I'm dealing with basically the same issue but for somereason i keep loosing all of my invintory and my hair and eyes and it resets all of my quests. Also reloading saves doesnt work once it starts it affects all of that characters saves

PLEASE MODDING PROFESSIONALS HELP