NVidia GV100 Titan V: Read 'em and Weep

twowolves80

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2u9r1js.jpg

NVidia announced the release of the newest generation of GPU--that's right, a $2,999 monstrosity designed for AI and intense computation.

In this thread, we discuss how this will change gaming on Skyrim and Fallout 4 and other games, how soon we think Elianora will have two of them in SLI config in her rig, and how badly tempted we are to take out a mortgage to get one ourselves. lol

I think the shift towards AI will have some retroactive effects on Skyrim and Fallout 4 as we see improvements like Special Edition. Bethesda knows Skyrim and Fallout is their bread and butter, so I think it's reasonable to expect more improvements a year or two down the line, especially for the AI.

Also, here's the comparison.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/rbjz9y.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, start your drooling.

Edited by twowolves80

lmao Yeah...I think at that price point it becomes a diminishing return. :P I can't figure out why the memory clock is so slow, unless it's specifically not meant for gaming applications.

So, Dark0ne, when you getting yours?

After reading about the NVIDIA DGX-1 entering the business scene, all the above mentioned cards put into gaming machines may be connecting online with, I say "may be" calling home to Dear Grandma Xanadas 1 to let her learn which way to make us humans think reality is to motivate us toward populating another place.

Will we live and breath in Cyberspace? Will be thinking we are still alive and well on a planet that was turned into a wasteland, need I remind you about the world in the Movie "Matrix", so we think it is still 2017? Or was that 2019?

With AI maybe the home computer will begin to play all the games for us, just like slide shows were turned into motion picture shows shown in theaters until someone invented the TV so we could watch them at home. Only monitored by the TV Stations and given to us free with advertisements.

Again the rich go out and pay to see the premier in theaters while the poor stay home and wait for to see if the local TV station will play the full 3 hour version of Paint Your Wagon.

Dark0ne isn't going to buy a cheap little toy like that. He's probably already got, one or more of the $150,000.00 DGX-1's blowing the doors off his gaming experience. All packed neatly into the business machine learning from all the people posting in the forums.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/dgx-1/

I wonder what playing Skyrim on that would look like?

DGX-1: *Bahahaha! I laugh at your pathetic 255 plugins! I eat scripts for breakfast! Moar!*

:P

I think AI will become more and more integrated into Beth's games, and probably be implemented into old classics through updates, so better AI behavior is a given, but even refinements to the game engines themselves will likely come, too. In the next five to ten years, we will see video games revolutionized by AI. I can't wait. lol

re post#5 of this thread - indeed!

I like that enthusiasm,

and look forward to seeing your papers at the journal of AGI,

OpenCog, AGI sans frontieres and thisweekintech etc!

there are many ways around those 'hard limits' hehe.

inter-language interoperability and read-write stuff is no problem for memristive, optronic, spintronic or AGI routines.

AGI is probably going to be exceedingly awesome,

why, folks might already be using it in a variety of applications,

and working with awesome AGI systems...

as to these titan cards,

Yeah, these are fairly awesome,

they'll primarily be utilized in Game-Making and in LAN club,

rather than individual private PersonalComputers etc (one would hope).

look at who makes Memristive/PCIe compatible little suites

and look at their cost-v-performance-v-lifetime... vs that.

-----

we then need to discuss cloud-distributed computing,

and access to those networks.

it'll be hard to access the hardware shortly. not just in terms of cost,

but, you try finding folks who'll sell to general public and aren't wholesaler only.

the code will be behind a "level10 paywall" on their side, and we won't be able to access it what-fer-the-modding.

Net-neutrality has been lost for a while,

folks don't seem to care at all.

the only thing preventing some nasty futures, is benevolentAGI and techadvocates,

bulwark against the Technocrats and Transhumanists, who want to go down that

'anthropocene' path...

Uh, there'll be no papers this quarter. I'm retired. lol

I don't know what all that is, but...I do know that these types of GPUs are often the test bed for stuff they use in PC-enthusiast models. I want to see MSI's version. I have an MSI 980Ti G2, and I love it, but I'm beginning to suspect it's having problems as it has trouble rendering sometimes when multiple scripts are running. Of course, that could be the faulty RAM module I'm using, but I don't have the money to replace the RAM right now. Soon, hopefully.

Preliminary benchmarks courtesy of WCCF (take with pinch of salt obviously):

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-titan-v-volta-gaming-benchmarks/

Firestrike: Stock GTX 1080 Ti with 28,300 vs Stock TITAN V with 32,773

A 15% performance increase over my 1080ti but at nearly 4x the cost? No thanks. :tongue:

Nvidia love doing this. People shelled out for TXP's only for them to be spanked by 1080ti's on price and performance a few months later. Volta is coming people...

Dark0ne isn't going to buy a cheap little toy like that. He's probably already got, one or more of the $150,000.00 DGX-1's blowing the doors off his gaming experience. All packed neatly into the business machine learning from all the people posting in the forums.

Last time he mentioned it he said he had a couple of 980ti's in SLI iirc.

I ditched the 980 SLI a couple of months back. Used one of them to build myself a steam machine for the TV and sold the other to a friend. SLI is a complete waste of money now, which is a real shame. Great if all you do is benchmark in 3DMark, awful in application, especially if you play Unreal Engine games.

So I'm plebbing it up with a single 1080 Ti, though I've kept my water cooling loop in tact.

I heard SLI causes stuttering in games. As someone who is unfamiliar with the reasons behind that, can you explain that, Dark0ne?

I still have my 980Ti, and it works for what I use it for. I could run two monitors off it, but I don't have the space for the second monitor that's sitting in the box, collecting dust. lol

Do you use pcpartpicker at all? That's how I ended up building mine. Only part of it that sucked was finding out that I had a bent CPU pin in the socket, and when I tried to RMA the mobo, Asus didn't have any in stock. So I ended up having to send this one back for repair.

I think if I get my money right in 2018, I'm going to replace the GPU and the RAM, and then add a bigger SSD.

Edit: Also, Dark0ne, what liquid cooling set up do you use? I have a Cooler Master Seidon 120M that's closed-loop--no mess, no fussiness. Works like a champ and keeps my CPU in the sub-65C temperature range even when under full load. I don't think I've ever seen it get higher than 65.

Edited by twowolves80