Heavy Traffic ×

PS4 Gift Help: Skyrim Special Edition or Fallout 4?

tm2dragon

I'm looking to get a friend of mine into some of these fun, open world Bethesda games. Christmas is around the corner, and I'm thinking this is my chance! He lacks a PC or even a laptop, though I HAVE managed to "sell" him my old Playstation 4 (in all honestly I really just wanted him to have a decent current gen gaming system, and selling mine to him for cheap did the trick). If I want him to play one of these games, it'll have to be the Playstayion 4 version. I'm curious where to start though! Skyrim is of course the more popular and epic game, but Fallout 4 is newer and a bit more on the fun side when it comes to tone. I believe both have limited mod support on the PS4, but I'm not sure whether Skyrim: Special Edition or Fallout 4 is getting better attention in that regard. Which would you recommend I stuff in his stocking (does that sound like a euphemism to anyone else), and why?

Yeah they are very limited, I own both of those for PS4 and I get more out of Fallout 4 to be honest. I like Skyrim on PS4 because I get more close to the core game than on PC due to less mods. Which makes me actually play the game for what it is. Same with Fallout 4 but that I have never played on any other console. So I like Fallout 4 due to the base game offerings. But depends on what he's after :)

I think the PS4 version of Skyrim is a bit more promising on the modding side of things. Fallout 4 has some mods too - but they're not really that interesting in my opinion. If you want, you can browse what mods are available for PS4 for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim SE from Bethesda's own mod hosting site. Just navigate to the mods tab on Bethesda.net and you should be able to filter the mods to just show PS4 stuff. From there you can see which version you think is better. If you do get Fallout 4 though, I highly suggest getting the GOTY edition that just came out. If you're friend is going to play Fallout 4, he at least deserves to get a chance to play Far Harbor (the only truly good DLC for that game, and Bethesda's only attempt to redeem themselves for Fallout 4).

I agree with DaddyDirection. Fallout 4 is a great game. It's the one that I'm currently playing. But Skyrim SE is better in my opinion. Also the available mods are much, much better for Skyrim SE. For the basic game If you like shooters it would be Fallout 4. If you like a great adventure it would be Skyrim SE. The mods just make it even better.

The Rabbit

That's true, if it's mods you're after you should go with Skyrim SE. They're pushing it to the limits on PS4, real great stuff seeing how limited the mod authors are with what they can do. Fallout 4 has a lot less mods.

Edited by Niborino9409

• 2 months later...
Sony doesn't support external assets and I hate it because I can't use the become high king mod witch is a rilly big disappointment man I wish it was on ps4 cuz that's what I have bin usein since it first came out o well one day... Edited by Godmods1649