Fallout VR configuration tips

REDRDRSBRO

Hello fellow modders,

Redrdrsbro here long time video gamer and mod user, never a creator other than in the twisted mashup of everything I can slap together. A few tips to help my fellows out. If you are a rift user, let it be known fallout 4 vr works just perfectly with a rift and touch setup. Ok maybe that is a bit of an embellishment.

I'm going to throw 3 or 4 things out there for anyone wanting to get into this game with some mods right away.

Number one, fallout 4 vr does NOT have any dlc from the "factory". You can however copy a couple things and totally enable dlc in the game, verified working earlier today you will have to copy the DLC files into your falloutvr data folder and create a file under your user appdata local fallout vr that can be easily copied from the fallout4 local folder.

number two, no mod software will work with fallout 4 vr cause the filenames different, one option to resolve that could be renaming falloutvr.exe, however I am unable to verify at this point, I just jumped straight into modding manually.

Before I get to engrossed with that though there are a few things about configuring this game for your HMD. Be prepared to tune EVERYTHING through the configuration INIs. Veterans probably thinking at this point that that is not news, because its nothing new. if you want an easier time trying to make your touch controls work with the game you will have to go into the vrcustom INI and REDUCE the percentages for activating your quick menu and your pip boy, this will make navigating the menus a lot less frustrating. I reduced mine from a 5% zone to a 2% and its a lot easier to deal with, haven't tried 1% yet, I have nerve damage so its incredibly hard to get a 1% tilt on my joysticks, remember that this game is designed to be sensing thumbs on touch pads. I would also disable optional filtering a bit, I reduced AA to 8x and turned off a few items I consider extra for pretty ness, god rays and I think ssao. If you look closer I am not certain but I think this is a updated fallout 4 with no hd pack, no dlc, but otherwise the same game engine we have used for years.

You are also going to want to reconfigure the resolution of the game to MATCH your HMD, in my case I used a resolution of 2160 x 1200. I also have the steamvr interface set up to a 2.0 SS setting BTW all of these changes are valid for a setup on a VIVE as well, except for the controller sensitivity thing, not sure how that would work out.

There are a few things about the steamvr interface you may read up on, basically it does the same frame smoothing while rendering that the oculus software does as well. My cure for double smoothing, which made my game laggy as hell was to disable the oculus interface so that only steam vr is running while im playing fallout. this can be done by going into the settings on the oculus home desktop general>disable rift and touch safety. once you have watched their little video and disabled this option, you can navigate to the home directory of the oculus software and set it to require admin rights to launch. This is the simplest workaround I found for this problem.

I am currently running about 35 loose and ESP mods at this time. Everything from custom weapons, armors, companion mods, vivid landscapes and a few other favorites from my old fallout 4 setup. Pay attention though if you are doing this manually like I am, load order and whatnot have to be configured manually.

In a nutshell at this point I am running fallout vr in basically 4320*2400 resolution with mods, native TAA from the game engine and touch controls. I'm averaging about 85 FPS. and a very reasonable 20ms response time, Ideal that is 90 and 15ms, but its very playable from my perspective at this point. I will outline my pc specs at the end of this, but I'm not gonna lie it should be very reasonable to expect similar performance from a 1070 equivalent.

If you have any issues modding or configuring, hit me up, I would love to help out, this is something I thoroughly enjoy doing.

REDRDRSBRO

CPU: FX-8350 4.0 Ghz 8 core(4 physical 8 logical)

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-z

RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR3 2300 @ 1866

GPU: #1 EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid With 2 NOCTUA 140mm Fans strapped front and back for maximum airflow(idles around 24 C)

GPU: #2 (PHYSX no sli in vr) )EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW (runs hot as it can, usually taps out around 80 C)

PSU: EVGA 1300W Gold rated modular

HDD: #1 Seagate 2TB SSHD, 64 MB cache (windows)

HDD: #2 Seagate 4TB SSHD, 256 MB cache (large shitty games)

HDD: #3 PNY 500GB SSD (VR games and GTA 5 cause thats how I roll)

CASE: ROSWILL THOR V-2 (best case I have EVER used, highly recommend this for maximum airflow!)

-EDIT-

just fyi another mod that massively helped is the optimized distance textures, find a mod like that if you want vr to fly

Edited by REDRDRSBRO