Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56082786.

Robbie922004 wrote: This is absolutely wonderful. The whole Nexus team has been nothing short of fantastic for many years, and this new way of giving back to the authors who contribute is truly appreciated. It's such a gesture of goodwill that you just don't see often these days.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you guys for always being great.

Thank you too! <3

How would a "mod" page that contained, for example, a BodySlide or an FO4 LooksMenu preset (or presets) be handled? (I put mod in quotes because of my personal opinion that these are more like designs than actual modifications to the game. The underlying mods, like LooksMenu for example, is a mod because it changes the way the original game allowed you to design your character.)

I can see that if real world value is involved then this type of "mod" is opening up a can of worms - starting with flooding the site with a multitude of preset "mods". Why group six presets into one "mod" when you could get a greater download count from six separate "mods"?

Also, if one mod requires another mod to be able to function, is it technically using assets from the required mod? If yes, then the authors of a mod like BodySlide or LooksMenu or MCM are going to be inundated with requests to use their assets with the possible result of discouraging them to create such mods. If no, then the "mod author" (myself included here) could ,theoretically, be getting real value on the back of their very much more difficult work. I am aware that many people do work long and hard on their character designs or, as in FO4, settlement designs, and feel that if they publish them, they should get some credit. But, those underlying mods should get some credit, too. Will you be able to accommodate them in this system?

Maybe I'm rehashing issues already debated and, if so, I apologize. :sad:

Edited by hammersmcp

In response to post #56082096. #56082186, #56082681 are all replies on the same post.

Niborino9409 wrote: At first I was a bit against this system but after reading it all my fears have subsided. I only mod for fun so I have no wish to get paid for it, that would ruin it for me. That's why I like how it's set-up. Micro rewards sounds very good and since my mods are small scale it will still be for fun.
nesbit098 wrote: My mod is a full time job day in and out..for both versions and I get people wanting an xbox version too...I was against paid mods for a long time but now my viewpoint has changed...I need to live.
This is why I am branching out to youtube videos with the hope of making some ad revenue...I am not going to hold my breathe though...But this is a nice idea for all type of mod makers....
0Theara wrote: I too also feared that mod authors will no longer allow their assets to be used after this system is implemented. but after fully read this, I think it's fair if the mod authors allow me to use their assets, even if I don't receive any points whatsoever. I kinda enjoyed making mods anyways lol

That does make me wonder a bit, the overall vision may be mine, but what about the assets I used to make it a reality. But read that you can opt out some files from this. :happy: Edited by Niborino9409

In response to post #56081816. #56081971, #56082201, #56082696, #56082916, #56083201, #56083376, #56083496, #56083506 are all replies on the same post.

literallybyronic wrote: I feel like this may cause a bit of strife in mod authors who do large mods or compilations. For instance, my most popular mod is NPC replacers and presets for now going on 11 characters, but they are installed via a FOMOD which is one file on one mod page that lets you pick and choose who you want to install. It's far easier for mod users to use that way but with this points system it actually hurts me to do it that way when I could make a separate mod page for each character and potentially get up to 11 unique downloads from the same user instead of one. This wouldn't really fall under the "milking the patch from a separate page" idea since I'd say at least half of the current NPC replacer mod library on Nexus are single characters so you couldn't really fault someone for releasing them as such. Not just in my own situation either, but let's say the author of Beantown Interiors decided to release their work neighbourhood by neighbourhood instead of an all in one, or like Vivid Landscapes is an AIO now, when they used to be separate downloads for terrain, foliage, roads, etc. Even if these mods were divvied up into categorized segments they would still each be standalone mods in their own right. so not really the same as making a small patch its own page. I don't really know what the best way to deal with this would be tbh but I have a feeling it's going to ruffle some feathers no matter what.
ousnius wrote: Each character individually doesn't necessarily give you more total unique downloads , unless you have thousands of fans that download all of your mods, or all of them get into hot files, in which case it's a good thing for you.
literallybyronic wrote: "The metric we are using is the unique download count for a user's mod pages as a whole. Note that this is different from the unique download counts for the individual files you can download from a mod page. For example, if you have 14 files available to download on a single mod page and a user downloads each of those files, your unique download counter is increased by 1, and not 14."

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, if I have 5 files on one page, and all 5 get downloaded, each file gets 1 unique download but the PAGE only gets 1 unique download for all 5. If I have 5 files on 5 different pages, both each file and each page itself get 1 unique download. As the metric is the PAGE'S unique downloads, having separate pages for each mod (or segment thereof) could increase the unique download count the points system will be using as a metric. If what I'm describing weren't the case and the "unique download" was 1 per downloader per uploader, so if I have 20 files on 20 pages and someone downloads all 20 and I only get 1 unique download because it's counted per user and not per page, the issue mentioned further down the article about people releasing small patches etc on separate pages wouldn't matter.
willyb9 wrote: i'm a little curious how this would work for updated files as well, like updates to fix bugs with mods or add or change things with a new main file for example. if a user downloads the original, and later the new file, would those be considered separate unique downloads i assume?

anyways, seems like a great idea imo. very well thought out and seems more comprehensive than anything i've seen suggested before.
literallybyronic wrote: From what I understand of the system, as long as they are on the same main mod page, one user can only ever produce one unique download for anything on that page in the metric the points use (per page), even if each file on the page gets its own unique download for each new file. Unique downloads per file and per page are two separate metrics. So you'd have to make each update to a fresh page which I'm sure wouldn't fly with staff. But if it's something that can be divided into standalone segments that could potentially each warrant their own page (different characters, different areas, ENBs with multiple presets like CFL or Grim & Somber, etc), it's not something you could really argue against but would obviously benefit the author to release each segment on its own page.
willyb9 wrote: ok that makes sense. thanks for clearing that up for me!
literallybyronic wrote: Yeah, it's a bit easy to muddle up which is why I'm asking for clarification, I could still be wrong but hopefully Robin or someone from staff will jump in and clear it up if I am.
literallybyronic wrote: Also, mod authors could potentially receive a "new" unique download if a user who has already downloaded a file before the mod was opted in downloads a new version after the mod has opted in, that would seem more fair as some bigger mods have crazy amounts of downloads already that they would lose out on. But, from how it's being described it seems like they wouldn't receive any further credit from the same user if that user already gave them a unique download in the past, although I'm not 100% sure on this part either. That may be something they just can't track.
literallybyronic wrote: edit: oops, double post

The chosen method isn't fair to everyone. It's as fair as possible to as many people as possible. I remember the thread where we were all discussing this idea and how best to implement it, and there simply isn't a better way to handle it, unfortunately.