Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #57154366.

blackrat99 wrote:

I have no problem with the basic concept. My main issue is that many good mods get missed because users tend to look only at the biggest and most popular, which makes them even bigger and even more popular, meaning that the rewards are unfairly concentrated in a few hands.

My only other worry would be that this sytem might further encourage modders to desert the older games and just go and mod the latest game. The few modders still supporting older games are likely to miss out on any rewards.

I wonder if it would be possible to add to the reward system, whereby new mods get a small set points reward if they reach a certain download number, just to encourage people to keep releasing mods for less popular games.

You raise a good point!

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #56769386.

Thandal wrote:

It's really pretty simple. Anything that happened *before* the system is implemented would be irrelevant. If your mod's file gets 26K UDLs *after* the system is implemented, you would get full credit for 26K downloads.

As Dark0ne has said several times, there is no intention to make it retroactive in any way.

I think that goes against the intention here.
If the intention is to give back to modders for their hard work then making the system account for all unique downloads received before the system is implemented as well as after makes more sense.
Think of it like this.
A modder released a great mod in 2012. It's received 200,000 unique downloads. It's now 2018 and that same mod author has no new mods to release because they already released it back in 2012. So that modder who deserves recognition and appreciation for their widely loved and used mod gets nothing or a pittance of what they should receive. Because the majority of people who will ever download this great mod have already done so between 2012 and when this system is implemented this means the system only rewards new mods. So what is that mod author to do?
The only option I see for them is to take down their original mod and reupload in the hopes it will get more exposure by being 'new' and hoping it goes to hot files.....which is just ridiculous.

In response to post #56725021. #56725451 is also a reply to the same post.

Xcytress wrote:

So here is my question on all this: Lets say I have 25k unique downloads before the system goes live. I opt in, I release a new version of the file because I care about the quality of my mods and get 26k unique downloads for that file. The "total" count for the hole mod will change by 1k.

a) Do I get my share for 1k because 25k of those who downloaded did this also before the system..?

b) Or do i get my share for 26k because all these are from after the system, even though part of them had my mod before and just got the new version?

Hope my question is clear enough. If a) is the answer, I would be very disappointed because that would mean quality matters not a single bit. My mods consist of hundreds of changes and I update them from time to time to improve the overall mod quality. a) would pretty much counteract that.

Dark0ne wrote: You'll only get DP from when the system goes live, and any unique downloads you have on your files before that will not be counted.

There's a very simply reason for this. Between them, all the files on Nexus Mods have over 1 billion unique downloads. We can't go back over the course of 16 years and provide $5,000 - $10,000 for every month since 2001, as that would cost between $960,000 and $1,920,000 to us! So we can only start counting things from when we put the system live.

Similarly if all those 1 billion downloads applied to a single month (e.g. the first month) then each unique download would be worth 0.00001 DP. That would mean you'd need to have 100,000 unique downloads on your file to receive one dollar's worth of DP. Not worth it either.

Yes Dark0ne that would be unreasonable to expect a sudden million dollar payout from nexus mods.
However I suggest an alternative that allows nexus mods to stay within their budget and also rewards hard working modders who released their mods years before this now DP system and have accumulated thousands of unique downloads (which if I understand the intent of this system properly is to give back to modders for their hard work)
So I propose this:
Each month you reward mod authors with unique downloads from before the system a percentage of what they should have received if they had uploaded the mod after the system. So If mod author 'a' has a mod published back in 2012 with 100,000 unique downloads which equates to 200,000 donation points. You reward that author 5% of the donation points they should receive per month. Meaning they receive their earned donation points in small chunks. This in turn allows you to honour the intent of this system whilst not making unreasonable demands on Nexus Mods to provide a massive output of funds at once. Effectively this allows fair opportunity for both old modders/mods and new modders/mods

Hi sorry if I repeat something already been debated, from the OP and the responses so far I didnt see anything covering it.

So - as I understand it this system will reward number of downloads, each download worth equal regardless if its a 5 hour made mod "sexy woman outfit" or 5000 hour made mod like "Maxwell's World" right?

The new super mega bazooka is easy to make and has high mass appeal (and only a few mb to download), a new land story driven quest mod takes a long time to make (many mb, probably a few glitches etc) and might be popular - but if both have the same number of downloads both get the same part of donation revenue, right?

Weighing in the time it takes to make a bigger mod it its quite obvious that its "better" to make 500 "sexy woman ass" mods than one long story driven mod. If you want to benefit from the donation system that is.

Or am I missunderstanding the system?

Edited by jointit

In response to post #58656156.

jointit wrote:

Hi sorry if I repeat something already been debated, from the OP and the responses so far I didnt see anything covering it.

So - as I understand it this system will reward number of downloads, each download worth equal regardless if its a 5 hour made mod "sexy woman outfit" or 5000 hour made mod like "Maxwell's World" right?

The new super mega bazooka is easy to make and has high mass appeal (and only a few mb to download), a new land story driven quest mod takes a long time to make (many mb, probably a few glitches etc) and might be popular - but if both have the same number of downloads both get the same part of donation revenue, right?

Weighing in the time it takes to make a bigger mod it its quite obvious that its "better" to make 500 "sexy woman ass" mods than one long story driven mod. If you want to benefit from the donation system that is.

Or am I missunderstanding the system?

Your passive aggressiveness aside, it's a valid question.

But I think the main thing to keep in mind is that this isn't a job. It's a hobby.

But let's say it is a job. A house painter can work 80 hours and week and still never make as much as a fashion model. Some people have 2 or 3 jobs and don't make as much as some people with one job. The hours someone puts into creating something can't be determined accurately here. Only supply and demand. If you spend 100 hours creating something you can sell, you can set the price accordingly, but that's not how it works here. There's price to set. Only what users see as worthy.

If this were a perfect world, the balance would be that, yes, there are a ton of waifu followers and a lot of people download them, but people would donate to the bigger quest and new land mods. However, people here don't even do a simple endorsement. Look at any mod here on the nexus and it's usually 1% or less endorsements when you look at the unique downloads. Ever fewer people donate. But in a perfect world based on years of economic study, more people are going to donate to quest/new lands mods or followers who have content rich quests included and not the hundreds of waifu followers.

So there's no real problem with a system like this. The problem is that there are a lot of people saying modders should get something, but no one is actually donating to them. I've only donated to about 4 or 5 modders so far, and 3 of them have said they've never gotten any donations before mine and these are prominent modders we're talking about.

Anyway, this system doesn seem to be designed to help modders pay their bills. There's also the question of using assets. All those waifu follower mods use other people's assets in some shape of form. So the who thing gets muddy, which is why I'm sure this system hasn't been implemented yet.

In response to post #56769386. #58645586 is also a reply to the same post.

Thandal wrote:

It's really pretty simple. Anything that happened *before* the system is implemented would be irrelevant. If your mod's file gets 26K UDLs *after* the system is implemented, you would get full credit for 26K downloads.

As Dark0ne has said several times, there is no intention to make it retroactive in any way.

themaster19 wrote: I think that goes against the intention here.
If the intention is to give back to modders for their hard work then making the system account for all unique downloads received before the system is implemented as well as after makes more sense.
Think of it like this.
A modder released a great mod in 2012. It's received 200,000 unique downloads. It's now 2018 and that same mod author has no new mods to release because they already released it back in 2012. So that modder who deserves recognition and appreciation for their widely loved and used mod gets nothing or a pittance of what they should receive. Because the majority of people who will ever download this great mod have already done so between 2012 and when this system is implemented this means the system only rewards new mods. So what is that mod author to do?
The only option I see for them is to take down their original mod and reupload in the hopes it will get more exposure by being 'new' and hoping it goes to hot files.....which is just ridiculous.

But you also have to consider how ridiculous it would be for the nexus to spend over a million dollars and get absolutely nothing in return.
Remember. They don't have to do this at all. They could just forget about doing this completely.

If you feel modders deserve something, you can donate them yourself very easily. Some even have patreons.

I agree that trying to make the donation system retrospective just opens a can of worms. Apart from whether it is affordable, mods that have used other mods' assets/ideas/permissions would be impossible to sort out fairly. You just have to say, these are the rules and it starts on this date.

As far as rewarding better or more involved mods, maybe you could split up the pool (I suggested something similar before to support old games). A certain percentage for downloads, then a percentage based on a monthly user poll. Or something similar.

There isn't going to be a perfect system, and whatever system is put in place can always be tweaked if it isn't working right, so let's suck it and see.

• 2 weeks later...