Playing evil in Mask of the Betrayer

Tchos

I've heard some people recommend the evil path in Mask of the Betrayer, but I'm finding the good path to be very satisfying, myself. Without getting into spoilers, what would be the appeal of the evil path? Edited by Tchos

I've heard that the evil path doesn't reach its best until the very end. In two words: power overload.

Personally, I prefer the good/neutral path.

I know that you can get a different companion if you're evil rather than good, but I wouldn't have been using that one, anyway, because I'm not using the good one, either. I like Safiya, Gann, and Kaelyn, and the party's full with them.

As for power, it's hard to imagine being more powerful, considering it starts at level 18. Fights already seem pretty chaotic and easy with all these spells and abilities available, and so many hit points.

You know what happens to the spirit eater person/curse if you follow the good path? Swing it all the way in the opposite direction and you'll get a good idea of what happens on the evil path.

I know I'm being a little vague, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. :P

No, I don't know yet. This is my first time playing it. :) Don't tell me anything about the end! I just wondered if there was something very different about the gameplay or feel, or perhaps alliances. Like perhaps as an evil character you start working with one of the factions that oppose the witches of Mulsantir.

I'll be honest, I tried to play the evil path to see what it was like.

I don't think it really has that great of an effect on factions. It does, however, have an effect on your play-style.

It also presents different types of morality issues.

I couldn't complete it. It was so extreme, I didn't think it was worth it. :(

Perhaps I over-thought it, though. You may not have an issue with it. :)

Well, when it comes to morality issues, I would have a hard time making an evil choice. If it's as extreme as you say, then I doubt it would be worth it to me, either.

Plus, devouring everything like a rabid vampire would probably make it impossible to complete the game, since it increases your craving, and lowers the amount of time you can go without feeding, according to the feat descriptions.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, when it comes to morality issues, I would have a hard time making an evil choice.

In the unmodified MotB even the good side has to do some pretty immoral acts in order to advance the plot. This was an issue for people playing Paladins (or even just good people) and is one of the reasons I wrote the MotB Makeover SoZ Edition. If you haven't gotten too far you may want to consider using the Makeover since it allows alternative ways to advance the plot. It doesn't eliminate any options nor change the ending, just gives you a little more flexibility in getting there.

Regards