Playing evil in Mask of the Betrayer

Tchos

Hmm, to tell you my current place in the plot, I have just

reached Thay, and am exploring its academy.

I wouldn't want to start over at this point, if that would be required, but even so, I'm definitely not opposed to making some difficult decisions. It's not playing evil if my only choices are between two evils, and I just do the best I can. Playing evil, to me, means actively seeking out the evil path and doing it gladly, even when there are better options available. So what I meant was that I would have a hard time playing in that style.

Still, I'll keep that makeover on hand for potential future replays. :)

Edited by Tchos

Hmm, to tell you my current place in the plot, I have just

reached Thay, and am exploring its academy.

I wouldn't want to start over at this point, if that would be required,

You are just reaching the time when those decisions have to be made. The Makeover doesn't require starting over for most of its functionality, but if you decided to use it you would probably want to go back at least a little bit. My suggestion is that if you find yourself saying "they want my good character to do what?!?" then give the Makeover a try. Or if you really liked having Neeshka, Casavir, Shandra, or Ammon Jerro.

Regards

Okay, that sounds like a plan. I'll see if it starts feeling like that. And it would be nice to have some of those old companions back. Gann in particular is rather intolerant of my diplomatic behaviour, and I'm losing so much influence with him, I'm getting concerned he might turn on me.

Okay, that sounds like a plan. I'll see if it starts feeling like that. And it would be nice to have some of those old companions back. Gann in particular is rather intolerant of my diplomatic behaviour, and I'm losing so much influence with him, I'm getting concerned he might turn on me.

And Amie, how could I forgot about her. In the Makeover she is also a possible companion.

Even if you don't decide to try the Makeover you should at least download my Enhanced Dream Weapon fix for MotB. The weapon in MotB is badly bugged.

Regards

I never could play as evil in neverwinter, every time i tried i ended up as lawful good, especially in mask of betrayer, where you suppress your hunger or only devour the undead =)

• 1 month later...

Immoral decisions? Oh right, the

stuff with the souls?

. Didn't really have any issues with that, I tend to roleplay my Good characters as "practical", at least to some extent, and you don't always have the luxury of choice. I agree with post #11.

But I haven't tried the Makeover, and I'm sure an alternative way is enjoyable. On the occasion I'd like to thank Kaldor Silverwand for his great Dream Weapon Fix.

In any case, if you approach the Good-Evil stuff from a power gamer perspective, both sides have their advantages.

Items: if you kill and

devour

everything, you'll get far more and better items. Evil characters also get feats to help them with that. There's one very good item only good characters (?) can get though.

Good characters can get one feat that is the best healing feat in the game.

It's like a mass greater restoration/ressurect spell, and thus incredibly powerful. you get it after healing Wood Man, and gives +2 good every time you use it

. The way combat was designed and implemented in MotB means it's more for kindergarten than anything else, so you may not need it. Unless you're "dedicated" like me and modify your game.

Good and evil get different companions. The good companion you can only give certain kinds of equipment, so it takes more effort to keep him alive. Although his offense is "okay", but in general, I'd say he's not worth having. Evil companion I have no experience with, apparently it can change forms

into a rogue, barbarian and warlock.

Also whatever you do, try to keep influence up, as it gives some nice bonuses. I've also seen people (partly) go the "evil" path for the bonuses, but stick to a good aligned character (for the ending I suppose).

That's probably not all of it, I could hardly be bothered with one MotB play-through, and some reading about the evil path.

Edited by GFallen

Same here. My arcane trickster used it as a short sword.

GFallen, you're right that the special items weren't necessary, even at the highest difficulty level, so there's really no need to powergame or play evil just for items. I reached the end some time ago, and I have to say the ending was very satisfying and rewarding for the "good" play style. :)

• 1 month later...