New Vegas crashing both startup and in-game

ARC133738

I downloaded NVSR and when into the .ini file and changed bHookCriticalSections=1 into 0 then repackaged it and installed with Nexus Mods Manager. That seemed to have solved both crashing and kept my game at a decent frame rate. I also redid my merge patch with fnvedit because there were still unresolved conflicts between mods. My game gave me the warning that there were missing files when I loaded up my save and I am unsure if that will affect my game.

No. That's just from merging mods or whatever- I don't think it will hurt anything unless you left out a mod or something. Have fun and Merry Christmas.

Thanks dubiousintent and Fkemman11 for the replies; but I still stand by my original comments. When it becomes a lot of work figuring out how to get mods to play right in a game that's twitchy to start with, it begs the question 'is it really worth it?' I regularly play Skyrim SE with over 120 mods installed and don't have anything like the crashing problems I had playing FNV with less than 10 mods installed. I was able to get an improvement by removing the anti-stutter mod. That seemed to be the primary culprit for the constant crashes and lock-ups, and I'm guessing it had to do with the Win 10/Oct Win update incompatibility that's mentioned elsewhere on these FNV forums; so I guess if I decide to continue playing FNV I'll just live with the stutter inherent in the game as it comes from the maker. But ..... I'm still wondering is it worth it to try and install some other mods and spend time working through the issues with those, or just shelve the game and move to something else?

"Is it worth it?" That is totally subjective and personal. Don't understand what you hope to hear from anyone here that will convince you, but I can address the technical issue currently bothering you.

"Stutter" is due to the game requiring more "art assets" (images) to come from disk than have been queued up in the video stream cache. (Fetching from disk is orders of magnitude slower than from memory of any type and there are several types of speed available in memory (at a price). VRAM is generally the fastest.) The game design has limitations in it's video cache design. There are several entries in the wiki " Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide regarding "heap size" and "stuttering" that may help.

Another is that some people running Win10 have found disabling "superfetch" (intended to predict what will be needed next) actually decreases stutter for them in this game as well. (This is also an entry in that guide.)

"Mods" in general don't cause stutter, except when you install "texture replacers" that increase the size of the image from the default of 512x512 pixels. A larger sized image can provide more detail, but it takes up more VRAM to display each image, which increases the load on the video cache stream to display the same number of images per frame. If you have stutter with the default size images, you will have more and worse with larger sized images. Get a playable, stable game before attempting to "pretty things up" with texture replacements.

Many people get fixated on faster "frames per second" (FPS). This game is designed for a maximum of 60 FPS, but is still playable as low as 20 FPS. It is always fluctuating up and down if you track it constantly, so it is best to not try to do so (just adds to the processing overhead). (Movie film industry standard has been 24 FPS for decades. Even the latest "improvements" are only switching to 48 FPS. But film FPS does not translate directly to video monitors. Read "Modern video standards" section in the linked article.) FPS is directly related to "stutter". The faster the FPS, the more images that have to be displayed per second, which means more images have to be fed through the video stream. One of the advantages of NVSR was that it seemed to be more effective in clamping the FPS to 60, but there are settings for that in the game INI files as well.

All of which gets around to the point: the "stutter" is not inherent in the game. It is inherent in the combination of the age of the game and your newer, faster "system" (software and hardware). Accommodations have to be made. Others have made them and enjoy the game. Whether the effort to make those accommodations is "worth it" to you is a personal decision.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

• 2 months later...