Nexus Mod Manager is not set up to work with Skyrim. If Skyrim is installed, rescan for installed games from the change games toolbar item.

Cinderellaeid

I want to strangle someone because the error message "Nexus Mod Manager is not set up to work with Skyrim. If Skyrim is installed, rescan for installed games from the change games toolbar item." keeps popping up whenever I try to download a mod from Nexus with the Mod Manager. I bought the Skyrim Special edition from steam, installed and successfully ran the Nexus Mod Manager, and successfully scanned for the Skyrim Special Edition! But whenever I try to download mods the damned error keeps popping up. But it doesn't make sense, since Nexus Mod Manager already recognises my Skyrim Special Edition. Pissed. Please help.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue, only I am tryng 2 get skyrim vr modding working. There are no skyrim vr versions out 4 that, so I tried it with a guide to trick the nexus mod manager into thinking that the game I am getting the mods for is skyrim SE.

It should have worked according 2 the guide, but it keeps saying that I have no skyrim SE ini file pleas run skyrim SE be4 installing any mods. I don't even have skyrim SE, but that shouldn't matter, I downloaded the ini file, but not sure if its in the right spot, because it still says the same.

Also when I try 2 get mods in anyway by using nmm it says the same thing "nexus mod manager is not set up to work with skyrim. if skyrim is installed rescan.... and I don't even understand what it mean by that or how to 2 it. This is my first time tryng 2 use mods!

I have the same issue as well. Just bought SSE, ran it up until unbound quest completed, then quit to install NMM. It detects SSE and opens NMM properly, but whenever I go to install mods to NMM, it reads the message everyone here is getting. Please help, this is really aggravating.

• 1 month later...

I want to help, but no one's answering me. If we don't know what mods you're trying to install, then how can we figure out what's wrong?

The most likely answer was already given in the first two replies, but I'll repeat it anyway: If you have SSE, then you have to install mods from Skyrim Special Edition Nexus, NOT Skyrim Nexus.

If you really want to install Oldrim mods into SSE (doesn't always work), then you should download them manually and add them to NMM. Doing that without converting them can cause problems though, so I'd recommend against trying to install Oldrim mods if you're a beginner.

OP says that they successfully scanned for Skyrim Special Edition, but the error message says "Skyrim"! They're different games. If your error message actually says "Skyrim Special Edition" then that's a different problem, and you probably just have to get NMM to detect your games again.

Note: "Skyrim" and "Skyrim Legendary Edition" are the exact same game (LE just comes with all three DLC). NMM never calls it Legendary Edition though.