The Serana Deception

varkonasnorse

Oh that beatch! After you and Serana defeat Harkon at Vokihar cathedral, you have this conversation with Serana about getting cured of the vampirism. The fact that she gives you an argument right a way gives you an inkling of insight that something just may be amiss here. So anyway, you convince her to get "cured" and she takes off for a few days to go and see Fallion the wizard in Morthal. When she re-appears in your life, she is cured of her vampirism. But wait, why are her eyes yellow?

A lot of folks like to believe that it's just a texture fix they can correct in CK or with a mod. But the truth of the matter is that Serana is not cured at all. Yes, she is loyal follower, but she does things that are contradictory to her so called 'cured' state. Even though she assists you in killing numerous vampires, it is a false association. Look at these facts:

She STILL uses the drain life spell on all her enemies.

She is always blocking doorways and corridors in order to hinder your progress.

She needlessly attacks other NPCs without a valid reason thereby thwarting your best efforts.

She defies you and refuses to follow your instructions.

These factors make Serana a less than desirable follower (in my opinion anyway). But what really made me cut her loose was what happened when I once took her to visit Valerica at Volkihar and left her there for a couple of days. When I came back, Valerica was walking around normally, but I couldn't find Serana anywhere. After searching for her, and going back to Fort Dawnguard a couple of times, I had given up. Back in Volkihar, I followed Valerica to a room where there was half a dozen gargolyes. Valerica was hovering around this open coffin like she was trying to decide whether or not to take a dirt nap. Right next to it was a closed coffin. I approached it and the caption said 'Sleep Coffin', so I clicked it just for curiosity. The lid opened and lo and behold, there was Serana sleeping the dead person she is!

Well, that clinched it for me. Serana was NOT cured and she never will be. I left her with her mother. I really have no use for her anymore. I think it's quite hypocritical to go around killing your own people and then do exactly what they do. Anyone else feel that way? :mad:

Edited by varkonasnorse

The problem with Serana is mostly they kind of left her unfinished and rushed so a LOT of these quirks was because Bethesda didn't really take care of Serana.

Just general laziness/wanting a DLC to be released ASAP were the culprits.

Valerica is ok, but she won't shut up about taking care of her daughter. I really don't like yakky followers anyway. I love Rigmor, Tish the Blade, Melissa the Dark Elf, and Heidi from Hartmere Isle. No flap-jawing from any of them. They do the job and fight like maniacs. :devil: