Anybody have and ideas for new interesting underground locations ?

kirloper

I am currently working on many new hand made interiors and was just interested to see if anyone has any ideas or information on new underground locations which could be added.

I would also be willing to recreate areas from other games as at the moment I am recreating the Japanese tunnels from Dead Island Riptide and any feedback would be appreciated.

A secret alien base, some huge science facility like CERN and the LHC, a large vertical cavern to build a city into, volcanic tunnels, underground water reservoirs, hell for next year's halloween mods, mutated ant colony tunnels with egg chambers etc, some Silver Shroud villain's lair, some archeology dig site with fossils uncovered on the walls, catacombs, a hangar...

Dude , The subways of the base game could use alot of love work.

Also I don't know much about Real world Boston but i'm assuming fallout 4 has ignored few underground locations like some catacombs maybe?
it would be brilliant if this turns into a lore friendly underground overhaul

Dude , The subways of the base game could use a lot of love work.

Also I don't know much about Real world Boston but i'm assuming fallout 4 has ignored few underground locations like some catacombs maybe?

Some catacombs sound cool. There are plenty of old churches dotting the landscape, maybe even connect a couple of them.

Dude , The subways of the base game could use a lot of love work.

Some catacombs sound cool. There are plenty of old churches dotting the landscape, maybe even connect a couple of them.

how can I upvote a post in this forum? xD

---Edit---

Forgot to add , catacombs could be really interesting , some would be crawling with the ghoulified humans who tried to find shelter from the bombs , some would have interesting lore about the suffering people endured while trying to survive the apocalypse with weirdly placed skeletons and torture tools and what not , and some would have prewar lore of how some of these catacombs were used to hide communist child slaves maybe and some prewar treasures like gold and uranium/fusion cores

Edited by MrPandaz

I've immensely enjoyed "Mothership Zeta" addon for Fallout 3. In FO4, we have damaged alien recon ship shooting through the sky, right after we leave the Vault, which allows us to find Alien Blaster later. But... that's it, unfortunately. Seems like a missed opportunity to me. Given that Fallout games have post-apocalyptic, sci-fi setup, the more science fiction weirdness they contain, the better. I mean, if I wanted to run around with sword or axe, I can always play Skyrim (which I kind of like). If I wanted to murder hordes of zombies all the time, I have "Dying Light" for that. I don't care, that Bethesda calls them "feral ghouls". They're zombies, period. I miss ghouls from FO2 - funny, friendly, great drinking buddies at the "Harp"...

But back on topic, I had this idea that would utilize alien presence some more, while also hinting a possible connection between aliens and the Institute.

The crashed alien recon ship should be just a beginning. Following clues spread across the game world, player would eventually find an entrance to alien mothership, just like in FO3 - except this time buried deep underground; an ancient relic rather than fully operational base.

If there was one thing, that really made an impression on me in vanilla Skyrim, it was the appearance and atmosphere of underground cities. That's why I imagined such a mod made just like this: long, dark descent through empty caves and rocky corridors, that would eventually end in a massive cave, with only a minor fragment of enormous spaceship sticking from the rock bed.

Now, how to make things interesting:

- Finding mothership shouldn't be too easy. For example, the alien survivor from the recon ship could have a transponder of some sort on him, signifying that the recon ship was, in fact, sent to find something (gameplay - wise, it can work like an ordinary locator beacon, such as the one you use to find Institute courser). Using this transponder would lead the player to - say - Institute related/controlled facility, where one would find (using a terminal) an info on Institute's archeological dig, which in turn would directly start a quest to explore the dig. That's just a suggestion, possibilities on how to lead player on track are many.

- The direct approach to mothership should create an atmosphere of isolation and make player feel uneasy. No big fights there, but to avoid tedium, there can be an occasional Deathclaw hiding somewhere in caves. The approach to the dig can start wherever - through the hole at the end of metro line, in the ruined part of some Vault or inside some mining facility (The Dunwich Borers has great, spooky atmosphere already)

- Entering mothership may require a prerequisite - like having extensive knowledge on synths, or being already in possession of courser chip

- The direct area outside mothership should bear evidence, that Institute in fact was involved - equipment scattered around, maybe a skeleton wearing plain old lab coat, but with Institute's logo

-Mothership interior. Obviously, no alive aliens, since we're talking about a relic here. The point of exploration for the player is to find out, that Institute's technological superiority and achievements are (at least partially) thanks to reverse-engineering alien tech. For example, there can be a room that is completely emptied of alien technology, with some severed cables sticking from walls, and Institute's tools and equipment, lying on the ground. Hell, to spice things up, the player could actually also find a cryo-chamber room for the alien crew, with evidence, that at some point even Vault-Tec was there... ;)

-The challenge. Having no enemies would be boring. As I said, the mothership is old. But player's actions can trigger response from automatic defense systems. For example, the courser chip can be the only way to enter the ship, but it's signal also awakes dormant systems... As enemies, I imagine...synths. But obviously NOT Institute synths, alien ones. Based on alien anatomy, BUT in the same time bearing some resemblance with Institute prototypes. That would be the most glaring evidence, that aliens were trying to introduce their spies into human societies (for whatever purpose, like simple scientific study), and Institute just stole the idea, when they found mothership

-Player rewards. Well, apart of ruining FO4 canon? ;) The usual, I think. Unique "alien synth" armor, in light and heavy flavor. Some unique weapons, further suggesting, that Institute based their technology on alien finds. Like an alien synth rifle, that works basically same as Institute's rifle, but it's more accurate, has better damage output etc. Maybe also some recipes for alien grenades, that can be crafted from normal (but rare) resources, and have specific effects (like being extremely powerful, but working purely on high-tech electronics, shutting down synths and power armors...even the player's). In-game weapon models can be created from the grounds up, or they can be simple reskins, resized, with different sound effect etc. I leave that to modders :)

Ssooo... yeah. That was my crazy idea. Since I'm not a modder myself, I don't know if all that is possible to create and properly code. I wonder if it's even possible to use existing game assets, like mothership interiors from FO3 DLC... But yeah, if it IS possible, I would definitely love to see more "alien stuff" in FO4.

I've immensely enjoyed "Mothership Zeta" addon for Fallout 3. In FO4, we have damaged alien recon ship shooting through the sky, right after we leave the Vault, which allows us to find Alien Blaster later. But... that's it, unfortunately. Seems like a missed opportunity to me. Given that Fallout games have post-apocalyptic, sci-fi setup, the more science fiction weirdness they contain, the better. I mean, if I wanted to run around with sword or axe, I can always play Skyrim (which I kind of like). If I wanted to murder hordes of zombies all the time, I have "Dying Light" for that. I don't care, that Bethesda calls them "feral ghouls". They're zombies, period. I miss ghouls from FO2 - funny, friendly, great drinking buddies at the "Harp"...

But back on topic, I had this idea that would utilize alien presence some more, while also hinting a possible connection between aliens and the Institute.

The crashed alien recon ship should be just a beginning. Following clues spread across the game world, player would eventually find an entrance to alien mothership, just like in FO3 - except this time buried deep underground; an ancient relic rather than fully operational base.

If there was one thing, that really made an impression on me in vanilla Skyrim, it was the appearance and atmosphere of underground cities. That's why I imagined such a mod made just like this: long, dark descent through empty caves and rocky corridors, that would eventually end in a massive cave, with only a minor fragment of enormous spaceship sticking from the rock bed.

Now, how to make things interesting:

- Finding mothership shouldn't be too easy. For example, the alien survivor from the recon ship could have a transponder of some sort on him, signifying that the recon ship was, in fact, sent to find something (gameplay - wise, it can work like an ordinary locator beacon, such as the one you use to find Institute courser). Using this transponder would lead the player to - say - Institute related/controlled facility, where one would find (using a terminal) an info on Institute's archeological dig, which in turn would directly start a quest to explore the dig. That's just a suggestion, possibilities on how to lead player on track are many.

- The direct approach to mothership should create an atmosphere of isolation and make player feel uneasy. No big fights there, but to avoid tedium, there can be an occasional Deathclaw hiding somewhere in caves. The approach to the dig can start wherever - through the hole at the end of metro line, in the ruined part of some Vault or inside some mining facility (The Dunwich Borers has great, spooky atmosphere already)

- Entering mothership may require a prerequisite - like having extensive knowledge on synths, or being already in possession of courser chip

- The direct area outside mothership should bear evidence, that Institute in fact was involved - equipment scattered around, maybe a skeleton wearing plain old lab coat, but with Institute's logo

-Mothership interior. Obviously, no alive aliens, since we're talking about a relic here. The point of exploration for the player is to find out, that Institute's technological superiority and achievements are (at least partially) thanks to reverse-engineering alien tech. For example, there can be a room that is completely emptied of alien technology, with some severed cables sticking from walls, and Institute's tools and equipment, lying on the ground. Hell, to spice things up, the player could actually also find a cryo-chamber room for the alien crew, with evidence, that at some point even Vault-Tec was there... :wink:

-The challenge. Having no enemies would be boring. As I said, the mothership is old. But player's actions can trigger response from automatic defense systems. For example, the courser chip can be the only way to enter the ship, but it's signal also awakes dormant systems... As enemies, I imagine...synths. But obviously NOT Institute synths, alien ones. Based on alien anatomy, BUT in the same time bearing some resemblance with Institute prototypes. That would be the most glaring evidence, that aliens were trying to introduce their spies into human societies (for whatever purpose, like simple scientific study), and Institute just stole the idea, when they found mothership

-Player rewards. Well, apart of ruining FO4 canon? :wink: The usual, I think. Unique "alien synth" armor, in light and heavy flavor. Some unique weapons, further suggesting, that Institute based their technology on alien finds. Like an alien synth rifle, that works basically same as Institute's rifle, but it's more accurate, has better damage output etc. Maybe also some recipes for alien grenades, that can be crafted from normal (but rare) resources, and have specific effects (like being extremely powerful, but working purely on high-tech electronics, shutting down synths and power armors...even the player's). In-game weapon models can be created from the grounds up, or they can be simple reskins, resized, with different sound effect etc. I leave that to modders :smile:

Ssooo... yeah. That was my crazy idea. Since I'm not a modder myself, I don't know if all that is possible to create and properly code. I wonder if it's even possible to use existing game assets, like mothership interiors from FO3 DLC... But yeah, if it IS possible, I would definitely love to see more "alien stuff" in FO4.

Oh, hell yeah. That's a great Idea. I really like the concept, and the multiple paths the story line could take. If only I knew more about modding, but I would be willing to help make it happen.

I actually do have an idea for that, but it's going to be a while. After looking over some of the Vault pieces in Fallout 4 I kinda thought that it "might" be possible to synthesize some alien interiors. One project idea that I do have is to have a huge part of the Beta Mothership (that's the one you blew up in Mothership Zeta) crashed underwater off the coastline of Boston. But don't be getting your hopes up, the test build phase for something like that is still like... 2 weeks away.

Also.

Aliens.