Final Fantasy

Slaiv

This is just a thread for general Final Fantasy discussion. I know there is a thread on Final Fantasy: Advent Children, but this is FF in general. I'm simply choosing to discuss this particular part of Final Fantasy now.

Final Fantasy: Advent Children. Awesome. If you guys haven't seen it, go to http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dvd/ff7ac/. Watch the trailer; tell me if it is not awesome....

I have only one problem with the movie- Cloud's face structure is too Japanese. [No offense.] Watch it, you'll see. And Japanese people don't normally have white skin and naturally blonde hair.....

What do you guys think?

Oh, and what is your favourite FF? Mine's either VII or VI.

white skin....not in a racist way...but isnt it yellowishy?

but uhh...look at it this way, and i have; ever since FF6, things have gone downhill, the term RPG does not belong in the FF games anymore, its just used as an excuse to run around fighting alot for no real reason, look at zelda, it wasnt fully RPG, it had small elements of it into it, increasing your health, different swords/tunics/shields, and the theme to it was a bit typical.

but the FF series...gee...lucky for me, i get a headache when playing those games...i literally get sick, so that means i miss out on all the crap games, resident evil was a great one...for the 10 minutes every hour i tried playing it <_< and the new one on gamecube is a nice remake...pity i vomited...and i dont get to play the resident evil tryhards, silent hill for example, get someone who can write a decent storyline, throw in a crap game, we have a cheapo cash in!, sounds familiar to final fantasy 6 and onwards to me!

Personally my fave FF game has to be IX (9) with FFX coming in a close second.

As for missing out, yes, you are :P and the games do deserve the genre RPG IMO. It's not just pointless killing, the games have very involving storylines (except when it comes to FF11, that has no real storyline since it's a MMORPG :P) and are really interesting to play, and you actually start to care what happens to the characters, not to mention the areas have real atmosphere. The battle system can be fun too, but I prefer the one from IX :P

Yes, the random battle thing can get a little annoying (just walk around and suddenly get attacked without your enemy ever being on screen at random times). But all in all, they're great RPGs, I think they really pick up from FFVII onwards...

Only problem is they're mostly for the PSX and PS2, though there are PC versions of FFVII and VIII.

if you're new the the FF series 8 and 9 are awesome to pick up. I started on the series back at FF1 and they're all good but if you wern't a gamer way back when and 8 bit sprite graphics aren't your thing than you will be dissapointed. FF7 had an awesome story but the graphics were kind of cheese (although at the time they were mind blowing). Also Chrono Cross and Chrono trigger are worth your time if you can find them.

As for which one for the PC would be good, I'd probably go for FFVII, but to tell you the truth I haven't actually played FFVIII yet :P it may be better.

And yes, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross (also by Squaresoft), are definately worth your time. You might be able to get a SNES console + Chrono Trigger from E-Bay or somewhere similar, or you could always go down the path of roms and emulators, but can't talk about that here (not legal) :P

Chrono Cross might be ok to find if you're in the states... unfortunately I don't think it was ever released in Europe... so you'd have to get an import copy, which can lead to problems when trying to use it on a Europian PSX, unless you get a chip (which might also be illegal, and I don't know much about 'em). Personally I managed to get an import disk thing that you just put in with this special copper coil, and it'll fool your PSX into thinking it's American or whatever. Entirely legit, AFAIK, but I got it from some small business gaming shop in Cornwall. :P So probably not widely available.

[/ChronoFanaticMode]

Ahem. Anyway yes, FF9 would be the best to start with, but I don't think they ever did a PC version of that...

if you're new the the FF series 8 and 9 are awesome to pick up. I started on the series back at FF1 and they're all good but if you wern't a gamer way back when and 8 bit sprite graphics aren't your thing than you will be dissapointed. FF7 had an awesome story but the graphics were kind of cheese (although at the time they were mind blowing). Also Chrono Cross and Chrono trigger are worth your time if you can find them.

VII's character models were awful (One word: Buckets)..but the hand drawn environments are sweet! And, for the time when it was released, VII's battle graphics completely stomped the competition. Some of the battle models can beat Dreamcast graphics..........

Love the old school ffs......

And you can pick up a copy of Final Fantasy Chronicles for PSX, it has Final fantasy IV and Chrono trigger on it....

Archived