Newbie being lost in skyrim modding, need advice.

Mejster

To answer that last one.

NMM is easy to use. Just click to install. All mods on Nexus site use it. (Not sure what you do to install with MO)

Mod Organizer- is complicated but has more options. You would have to learn to use it.

NMM is self explainatory. The new version should be fine despite people saying they don't like it.

Make sure you let the mod install ONE at a time. And all functions are done ONE AT A TIME. Or else it will freeze up.

For instance, don't download a mod from the Nexus and try to install another already downloaded mod all at once. NMM does things ONE AT A TIME.

Mod Organizer I have never used due to it being a bit complicated.

There are a ton of options with it though. I think you set flags to de-level enemies. Allowing the boss -tier ones to show up early in the game.

There is already so much to learn as it is, so i never used MO. There are mods to do that too on the Nexus AKA Rogue-like Encounters, Wryebash lets you do that too.

FINAL WORD

Honestly, when it comes down to a mod manager. The more options, the more ways the game can crash. So I either manually install or use NMM.

READ UP MAN LOLOL

The list is perfect, more on that later.

Yes, that's true with ENBs. All based on what the author says to use

Either way, you will be installing a lighting mod and THEEEN a weather mod BEFORE installing an ENB. can only use ONE weather and one lighting mod at a time. No mixing two of the same mods together. (already tried that) two weather. Two lighting. doesn't work

The best looking ENBs require a weather mod and a lighting mod. No doubt about it. but thats just me... maybe try some vanilla weather and lighting enbs first for ha has. The performance will be like butter for sure becuase of less resources being used.

(Reshades are already included in an ENB. You have a good computer so no need to skimp out. ENB is the new standard.)

The best lighting is ELFX. The best Weather is Natural Lighting Vivid Atmospherics

Yes, they are the most complicated because they need patches. AKA more files to download on their mod pages. but, other mods will have compatibility files for them due to their popularity.

Yes, there are only a few ENBs that use it. Which also sucks because we want to try different ENBs out

----------> but Truth is:Sure you get more options with the other lighting and weather mods, but no doubt they are mediocre, or run bad due to using outdated code.

Relighting Skyrim

Realistic Lighting Overhaul

are just waay to bright. Most enbs can adjust the lighting intesity anyways in their menu, but ELFX has sound, particles, and realistic lighting shodows that make a big difference to overall polish

THE "TO DO" LIST.

"where in this list should I put weather, gameplay overhaul, effects ( spells etc.), water (waterfalls etc.), new lands ( Falskaar ), body-face-textures, mechanics, followers-armor-weapons, audio, animations ?"

Effects (blood/spells)

body-face-textures

followers-armor-weapons- anykind of retex for these, or re-mesh- (AVOID anything by Jaysus, or Jet's mods that made changes to the leveled list)

Animations

These are highly compatible and can be added or removed at anytime.

They will be overwitten or enhanced by better mods of your choosing as you go along.

Game mechanics -should be done AT THE VERY END. They add scripting. Like Dyndolod, make sure you are COMPLETELY satisfied with the ones you got and KNOW for a fact that they will be compatible as said in their mod description. Changing Perk trees, anything that changes how the game works beware and do at the end. Read up on what they are compatible with on their modpage.

Combat Mechanics - are OK to add and overwrite.

Water is landscape. Thus, part of Dyndolod

New lands are complicated, Most work great with Dyndolod,

Others will get messed up by Dyndolod:

New Lands that get messed up by Dyndolod and have their own custom LOD that works as is.

AKA New Lands that work outta the box as is.

-----------------> Summerset Isle- (avoid this one anyways, most likely will mess up your save game) or backup your save if you try to get it to work

>World of Rudra by Bee9999 (not on Nexus)

>Rochester by Breti (get the german 100% done version)

>Shumer and the fall of Allagard by agerweb - Falskaar on steroids

>Maslea - a large tropical province like Summerset Isle

These New Lands need Dyndolod

Falskaar

Wyrmstooth- if you can find it on the internet

Beyond Bruma

Beyond Reach by razorkid (you go to High Rock Tameriel province)

Darkend

I use all those New Lands listed at the same time, except for Summerset Isle. So just a heads up. You can use a lot of New Land mods but they have to be done as suggested above.

Audio is also ok to add or remove.

EXCEPT

Audio for Skyrim overhaul 2

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43773

this is an optional but immersive polish. it is my advice to do this AFTER any New land mods.

It just takes a long time for NMM to install. So you want to be happy with the new lands you have before doing so.

Enjoy :smile:

Edited by Leadpipejustice

BTW That "To DO" list is really good and worth a mod file post for other noobs.

Maybe send them to this topic forum for "additional info"

We were all noobs once!

This is what I've done:

Clear Skyrim

SKSE

SMIM

Ruins Clutter Improved

Project Parallax Remastered

Noble Skyrim + Parallax Patch

Skyrim HD

Vivid Landscapes

Skyrim HD Terrain Parallax

Tamriel Reloaded HD

aMidianborn Whiterun

Realistic Water Two

Watercolor for ENB

aMidianborn Book of Silence

aMidianborn Caves and Mines

RUGNAROK

Skyrim Flora Overhaul - no grass

Project Parallax Roads and Bridges

TreesHD_Skyrim_Variation

Trees HD

Simply Bigger Trees

Realistic Aspen Trees

The Pines of Whiterun

Superior Rock Textures

Deathbell HD

Ultimate Fire Effects HD

Realistic Smoke and Embers

Ember HD

Dust Effects

Burn Freeze Shock Effects

Smoking Torches and Candles

Hybrids HD Herbs and Plants

Unique Flowers and Plants

HD Ivy

Tree and Parallax for Pines

Real Snow

Immersive Fallen Trees

Solstheim Genesis
Grass on Steroids

Transparent and Refracting Icicle and Frost Atronach

Veydosebrom - Grasses and Groundcover

Deadly Spell Impacts

Enhanced Blood Textures

Footprints

Inside the Nebula

Terrific Talos

HD Imperial Tower

Rustic Windows

HD Lanter Posts

Fences of Skyrim

Little Things

Book Covers

Spriggan Redone

High Res NPC clothing

HQ Food and Ingredients

HD Misc

Glorious Daedric Retexture

Falskaar

Beyond Reach

Darkend

SkyFalls and SkyMills

Enhanced Landscapes ( I'm not sure about this one, does it only add objects or installs textures and grass plugins? )

I was installing those mods in this order and Is it the good installation order? And do I need some other texture mods or those will cover whole? I'm going to use Aeon ENB, Natural Lighting Vivid Atmospherics, and Vivid Weathers - a complete Weather and Visual overhaul for Skyrim.

Edited by Mejster

-----------------> Summerset Isle- (avoid this one anyways, most likely will mess up your save game) or backup your save if you try to get it to work

I use all those New Lands listed at the same time, except for Summerset Isle. So just a heads up. You can use a lot of New Land mods but they have to be done as suggested above.

Not sure where you're getting your information from son. If you have trouble installing my mod it because you didn't follow the simple instructions.

Hello Guys,

I'm completely green in the meaning of how modding works in Skyrim. Which mods have compatibility problems with other etc. is a black magic for me. I was playing mostly on vanilla Skyrim, then used some minor mods. Now I would like to start experimenting with those more demanding mods (better-looking graphics mostly). And here comes the problem, I don't know which mods are highly recommended for "Sunday players" and which are which are highly customizable but difficult to grasp. I've seen a lot of lightning mods, ENBs, texture packs etc. but I can't decide which to use. I would like to get the look similar to those screenshots I've attached. I presume those shots are further processed graphically but at least something similar. I know I might be asking for too much but I would like to get more precise answers than "check those mods you would like to test and just use the one which you like the most". It might look like I'm asking for a ready load order but I'm only asking for advice.

Thank you for the reading of my scribble and have a nice day :happy: <3

I'm not sure if it's even the right subforum so If it's the wrong place just point it out.

There is a really informative guide here with a step by step walk through on how to get the most out of skyrim Skyrim Ultimate Modding Guide Its listed as for mages, but it works well for play-styles other than mages. It includes 5 quest mods including mine and no, using my mod won't crash your game or mess up your saves for unspecified vague reasons. Just make sure to follow the installation instructions. My mod adds about 60 hours of gameplay and has a number of worlds to explore in it as well as quests. Summerset Isle, my mod, has been rigorously tested will all lands mods and works just fine with all of them and a heavy load order. There is a guild on S.T.E.P. if you want to use Dyndylod with it. Again, just make sure you follow the installation instructions. All of the negative comments I received about my mod Summerset Isle is due to the users not following my instructions. I also have no problem offering support if you run into any snags ;)

I've got a problem. I'm starting new game ( modded start ) game runs smoothly, created a character. "I want to escape the cell" option, ok runs great, cleared the prison. I'm trying to leave "to Skyrim" by the ladder. Loading screen and bah, crash. I'm sure it's about exteriors. What might cause this?

Edited by Mejster

THERE IS a lot HERE MAN. But it is the truth.

First you need LOOT. This program will sort your load order for you. You absolutely need it or else the game will crash. Your load order is all jacked up.

LOOT

https://loot.github.io/

that's the site I remember getting it from.

Once installed click the first icon (near the magnifying glass icon) on the top right corner of the program window. (should pop up as "sort plugins" with your mouse hovered over it) Looks like bars. then hit "Apply" when done.

EVERYTIME you add a mod to the game you have to run LOOT after. Just a part of the process for advanced modding.

Clear Skyrim is from 2011. I'd say uninstall and avoid. Pick something else. Mods BEFORE 2012 avoid due to existing BEFORE the Skyrim Creation kit. Trust on that one

Enhanced landscapes will most likely conflict with grass mods and Skyrim Flora Overhaul. Looks like they added grasses in there and trees. Not good if using SFO or a grass mod. ONE AT A TIME and whatnot.

I did SFO with the right billboard options for Dyndolod. and of course no grass option to allow for veydosebrom. THE BEST grass replacer lol. gotta fit the puzzle pieces together.

Project parallax remaster conflicts with Noble SKyrim. Been there done that. It looks freakin awesome though!

I decided I liked how Noble Skyrim hit almost everything with buildings and then installed Vivid landscapes on top of everything else. (no grass in here or anything SFO does so vivid landscapes is safe. Again, Enhanced landscapes does waay too much. can't use a grass mod or SFO with it.

Skyrim is a delicate puzzle. make sure all landmods fit together nicely. usually they overwite eachother accept for trees and grasses. This crap is why it's called "advanced modding" becuase after landscapes are done it is required for you to run dyndolod. Or else you will crash becuase no landscape billboards will be made. Dyndolod is a requirement after every landscape change.

Bare with me here: Skyrim is a delicate game. Texture and landscape overhauls, "advanced modding" requires Enboost, Skyrim Stability Guide

Skyrim Stability Guide

https://rd.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244?tab=files

(enable the skse patch file. look in files section always in mods)

Enboost

https://rd.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38649?tab=files

Select the ENBlocal file for YOUR system. most likely the 6 mb for now

then change your memory settings in the enblocal.ini to this: (just copy the settings, not the explanation next to it)

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false - if set to "True" memory blocks will NOT be set up by ENB and you run the game on shitty vanilla memory that crashes.
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true - True= memory blocks will do their job. reduces memory to blocks instead of all at once which crashes your game
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false - keep it false, unless you see in google that your system uses this. most DO NOT.
DisablePreloadToVRAM=true - Keep True or else you can seriously mess your computer up. Your computer might not start up again if set to false. NEVER preload to VRAM be warned.
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true - True =smooth gameplay might crash after an hour. False= never crash but a bit stuttery gameplay
ReservedMemorySizeMb=64 - the amount of memory buffer in megabytes, can increase to 128, 264, 512. For now, just keep at 64 because ENB is optimized for a very small buffer.
VideoMemorySizeMb=16256 - your total memory block size in mb
EnableCompression=true - True= smooth performance. False = more smooth performance, possible crash though. Depends on the power of your machine. For now, keep True.
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false - Keep false or else VideoMemorySizeMb block will be shitty vanilla of 0 mb. which means you crash.

If that doesn't work set EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true instead of false.

The beginning is a very delicate time.

New chars sometimes crash the game in the char creation. I have a large load order so I can no longer start a new char. INSTEAD

I suggest using a vanilla save from the nexus. They skip past the boring dialogue and just cut to riverwood.

NOW TO DO CHARACTER CREATION.

USE Race menu or Enhanced Character Edit. Although RM is waaaay better with more options.

With Race menu you can type "~" to bring up in-game console and type "showracemenu" where you can edit your char anytime, anywhere.

Vanilla save game

https://rd.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31650?tab=files

this save should be ok too, remeber stay away from mods from BEFORE 2012

https://rd.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78891?tab=files

Racemenu

https://rd.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29624

Also needs precache killer to prevent crash

https://rd.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33526

TOO LONG DID NOT READ. it looks like you played for 10 minutes and then crashed. Remember the microsoft visual C fix?????

VERY IMPORTANT.

TRY THIS:

type ~ to bring up console and type "setstage dlc1vqsaint 200",

the game will crash EVERY damn 10 minutes if you have Dawnguard or Legendary Edition installed (all the official DLCs.)

must do this command for EVERY new character started.

WHAT'S IT DO?

Doing this command in console makes you autocomplete a little side-quest that causes this bug.

Worth it to cheat and miss out on this lame easter egg fetch quest by NPC Jiub (Morrowind fans), than to crash every ten minutes!

Again good luck.

@Yourenotsupposedtobeinhere

I'm a mod junky.... I went too far dude.

Here's what it would take just to get Summerset Isle to work for me.

1. Ditch veydosebrom grass (what I was using at the time) for your recommended one and run Dyndolod a second time in order for the required grass to work with the rest of the game...

2.run through wryebash and re-patch the mods I use that conflict after.

3. Can't cheat through the mage's guild quest using setstage or else scripts won't work. SPOILER--> After getting questioned and searched at the gate, now I can experience that MANDATORY College tour again with Mirabelle Irvine telling me the rulez. Better hopeTolfdir throws that spell at me during lecture, otherwise I get to hear his amazing speech on wardens again lol. (it is by pure luck when the script fires) Then we can crash going through the door at Saarthal.

4. No cool flying mods allowed or else the quest marker will break. So walking everywhere is required for Summerset Isle to work.

Once on Summerset, Fight trees with legs (those were actually pretty cool), and skeevers with shrooms on them and health pools larger than Alduin.

(grummites were cool)

Crash on same part of the map. probably because I cheated and somehow broke a quest via using toggle no clip or tgm.

FINAL WORD

The mod is beautiful and I wanted to see more. The architecture and set up is amazing. The voice acting was impressive. All things to be a dlc are there.

You just have so many conditions that have to be met in order for it to actually be enjoyed.

The mages guild requirement, grass mod, and no cheats are what kill it for me, otherwise it would be up there as the best.

Maybe one day I will slow down and get lost again in the giant mages guild story it was meant to be.

Good luck, and truly you are a genius to have made it that far doing most of it yourself.

I don't wish to derail this thread. Truly.

I'm a mod junky.... I went too far dude.

It takes a humble adult to admit they were wrong. I know I make mistakes all the time. Thank you for that.

Ditch veydosebrom grass (what I was using at the time) for your recommended one and run Dyndolod a second time in order for the required grass to work with the rest of the game...

recommended, not required. The only reason I recommend it is because that is the mod I use, but Summerset Isle will work just fine with any grass mod or no grass mod.

Run through wryebash and re-patch the mods I use that conflict after.

Not required for Summerset Isle. The only mod Summerset Isle is incompatible with is the Shire and that is only because the Shire is incompatible with the base game. The only edit to Skyrim is the exterior cell on the Winterhold bridge area so the player can travel back to Skyrim. It's even compatible with mods that edit that area too as my edit is so minor.

Can't cheat through the mage's guild quest using setstage

Well, you can, technically, but there is a chance things won't work properly. I've experienced this myself. You have to remember that I have tested this mod at least 50 times from scratch, which required me to go through the whole mages guild each time. That is how this mod was born. https://www.patreon.com/posts/mod-better-augur-15955717 Anyway. My suggestion would be to discover what is causing your game to crash at saarthal. I have never had a crash there myself. I would say that it sounds like it is mod related and likely an overhaul mod. If I were you. I would systematically remove mods until I found the culprit, then report it to the author and either find an alternate mod, or try to fix the mod author's error.

No cool flying mods allowed or else the quest marker will break. So walking everywhere is required for Summerset Isle to work.

That's more of a heads up. I only wrote that because some dumb dumb complained that quests wern't firing. After a few days troubleshooting they informed me they were flying everywhere. Like in the base game, there are trigger scenes, like in the base game, a flying arch-mage wasn't considered. All it means is that if you are going to fly, just don't be a dumb dumb. If you have a quest where someone is following you, don't be a jerk and fly around.

Crash on same part of the map. probably because I cheated and somehow broke a quest via using toggle no clip or tgm.

What part of the map?

In conclusion. I really do appreciate all the nice things you've said. I'm happy that you've taken the time to explain the issues your having, but if you contacted me when this was happening I would have gladly done what I could to help you.

From my own experience I would say that flying mods will eventually cause problems with your game for the above mentioned reason. Sort of like Enai Siaion's spell Entomb from his apocalypse mod. It is a fun spell, but like many mods, if they are not used being very careful, they can mess up the quests in the game and sometimes cause crashes. Summerset Isle really only has three requirements. Arch-Mage title, ENB Boost and SKSE with memory patch. The other things I say are just strong recommendations, not restrictions.