CRC Error

Dullahan

Hey everyone, having a problem with my game..

I am installing it, but when it goes to the oblivion.esm section, i get the following error.

CRC Error: The Oblivion.esm file does not match the one in the Setup's .cab file. The medium may be either corrupt, or unsupported. Please contact your software vendor.

I am then given options to either a)abort. b)Retry. c)ignore.

I choose the latter options. (This is a recurring error)

The game will launch. I have heard of others bypassing this with ease and playing this game. However, when I go to play a New game, it does not do anything. It doesn't stop responding, it just doesn't launch anything.

If I load a new game, it will crash.

Background info -- My disk drive scratches disks, therefore I had to extract the info from the game itself and create an image with emulation software (so i can play the game, and not scratch the disk.)

Any advice?

More background info:

There are currently zero mods installed. However, they are on my PC in zipped files.

I am installing it, but when it goes to the oblivion.esm section, i get the following error.

CRC Error: The Oblivion.esm file does not match the one in the Setup's .cab file. The medium may be either corrupt, or unsupported. Please contact your software vendor.

The game will launch. I have heard of others bypassing this with ease and playing this game. However, when I go to play a New game, it does not do anything. It doesn't stop responding, it just doesn't launch anything.

Background info -- My disk drive scratches disks, therefore I had to extract the info from the game itself and create an image with emulation software (so i can play the game, and not scratch the disk.)

Any advice?

Are you trying install over a clear folder? for your information I don't know (yet so seems) the installer is saying your current ESM is different from the one it is trying to install. If So the advice is you doing a complete reinstall. Use the CD installer to this. remove or rename your actual oblivion folder "and" the one in C:\My Documents....

So if this message reappears it indicates being a Internal CRC failure and so the only way is getting another media (DVD).

PS. CRC stands for Cyclic Redundancy Check and is meant to verify if the file is not corrupted (someway similar MD5 algorithm).

PS Edit: Based in your background information, you saved the image too late. you can aways try to make another and "don't skip errors". If this can't be done your DVD is already lost.

Anyway, don't use the actual image if it have CRC issues.

Any advice?

Are you trying install over a clear folder? for your information I don't know (yet so seems) the installer is saying your current ESM is different from the one it is trying to install. If So the advice is you doing a complete reinstall. Use the CD installer to this. remove or rename your actual oblivion folder "and" the one in C:\My Documents....

So if this message reappears it indicates being a Internal CRC failure and so the only way is getting another media.

PS. CRC stands for Cyclical Redundancy Check and is meant to verify if the file is not corrupted (someway similar MD5 algorithm).

Tis noted.

However, I've tried this already. I always delete the Oblivion folder after the install, as well as the on located in c:/my documents/my games.

I cannot use my DVD-ROM drive. A mate was cleaning it a few hours ago, and he somehow damaged the drive, so that the DVD-ROM drawer will not slide back in.

So installing it via that method is a no-go.

But how could there be a .esm file on my PC, when i have deleted the Oblivion files from my hard drive?

Could it be my drive letter? I am not using my computer's disk drive, as i cannot.

And is it still possible to play this game, somehow? Even if, that is, it refuses to launch a new one?

Any advice?

So if this message reappears it indicates being a Internal CRC failure and so the only way is getting another media.

PS. CRC stands for Cyclical Redundancy Check and is meant to verify if the file is not corrupted (someway similar MD5 algorithm).

Tis noted.

However, I've tried this already. I always delete the Oblivion folder after the install, as well as the on located in c:/my documents/my games.

I cannot use my DVD-ROM drive. A mate was cleaning it a few hours ago, and he somehow damaged the drive, so that the DVD-ROM drawer will not slide back in.

So installing it via that method is a no-go.

But how could there be a .esm file on my PC, when i have deleted the Oblivion files from my hard drive?

Could it be my drive letter? I am not using my computer's disk drive, as i cannot.

And is it still possible to play this game, somehow? Even if, that is, it refuses to launch a new one?

The message says the CRC calculated don't match the informed, file is corrupted. The better is you fixing or changing the DVD driver since running Oblivion from cracked exe will prevent you using things as OBSE. Well beyond this point only creativity can help you finding another media.

If your CD/DVD player eats disks, the only solution is to replace the player. A replacement player can be cheaper than a new copy of Oblivion. Then try to salvage the scratched disk by cleaning it. Google for a procedure, or there are some commercial disk repair gadgets available. Minor scratches can be fixed, but really deep ones cannot.

edit: I found a CD copier that might help with a scratched disk - http://majorgeeks.com/Unstoppable_Copier_d2623.html

This will not make a full usable copy of the cd, but it may help you recover the info from the scratched part.

• 2 years later...

I Have Exactly the same problem :cry: except i downloaded a torrent and got the error... probably something to do with validation and all that shiz. :wallbash: :down:

Yeah that is probably your issue.....but it is not a problem that we can help you with. THis family of sites and community have no time for pirates and we make them walk the plank.

Bye now.

Buddah