Texture Optimization & apparel modding?

Hi hi hi. I'm looking to get started on modding--I'm interested in doing some standalone clothing retextures, and some outfit mashups. Starting small and working up.

I have F4 on a bootcamp partition, and I used the Texture Optimization Project. Obviously if I'm making mods for myself I'd extract whatever I have--these smaller image files and so on.

However, if I want to share mods here, should I be extracting the original texture files (and go dig them out of backup)? Will the mod look bad if I use the optimized smaller files? Conversely, will my own use of the mod be affected negatively if I use a bigger texture?

Or, a simpler question, what do people here default to for apparel mods, because I've downloaded a few here and they work fine on my modest potato of a system.

Sorry for a newb question. I would prefer to find out first before making mistakes. Hope somebody with experience & common sense can help. Thank you!

If you don't create textures for the existing meshes from scratch it's advisable to use either the HD texture pack or the vanilla textures as a starting point, modify them and see if it runs well.

I'm not involved in apparel making, but generally, 1K textures are performance neutral on all systems that meet minimum specs. If your rig meets recommended specs, you can go 2K or higher all the way. Apparel is typically fine with 2K textures or lower. You really don't see much difference to 4K textures because the meshes are rather small. 4K makes the biggest difference for landscape textures, those meshes are far bigger and "stretch" their diffuse map more.

Texture sizes don't really have a big FPS impact if the system has sufficient RAM on the video card. They will make load times longer obviously. I can't measure a relevant FPS difference between 2K/1K mixed and 4K/2K mixed. My video card has 4 GB RAM.

Edited by payl0ad