[TW3 XML files] Recommended parser/Xquery processor & settings?

I don't have any issues when I edit the game's xml files with notepad++ line by line and make a mod of it, that's ok for small changes.

However for big changes (like crossreferencing and changing loot lists) I need something more efficient yet with my xml processor of choice(baseX) all the files it ouputs end up ignored by the game, even if I didn't make any changes to them.

They look identical to the originals when viewed through notepad++ aside from the whitespace between attributes, as the original sometimes has a random amount of whitespace between attributes (for legibility I assume) whereas the baseX processed file only has 1 space, which AFAIK shouldn't influence xml processing behavior.

Simply opening up and outputting def_loot_containers.xml through baseX and making a mod of it makes nearly every container empty, as though the file didn't exist/returned nothing.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Partoutatix

I believe it's an encoding issue since when I replace the contents of a copy of the uncooked file through notepad++ with the text that baseX put out and make a mod of that it works.

Setting baseX's encoding to UTF-8 UTF-16 or UTF-16LE hasn't made any difference towards getting its directly outputted xml files to work with the game however.

Edited by Partoutatix