Quick question about blood decals!

trashgarbage666

Specifically, the kind of blood decals that get placed on living things when they take damage! They fade a little too quickly for my taste, but I can't seem to find the timer that tells them when it's time to fade. I was hoping somebody here might know where to look.

Thanks!

I tried that, but didn't have any luck.

I was editing "PoolCueFleshImpact" while testing. The duration is initially set at 0.0600. I tried raising it by a little and saw no visible change. Then I raised it by a lot, and it still faded at the normal speed. I started suspecting that maybe PoolCueFleshImpact wasn't the correct Impact Data for my test weapon, so I doubled the minimum and maximum size of the decal, and sure enough that worked just fine. So either the Duration field doesn't work, or doesn't control what we think it does.

Mod: "Enhanced Blood textures"(EBT) by dDefinder.
See also: "Fallout New Vegas Default Values for All Valid INI Settings"

[Display]
fDecalLifetime=[def: 10.0000] ; the lifetime of all decals. The number can be changed to further increase or decrease the duration. EBT increases this to 800.000.
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=[def: 10] ; maximum number of decals (mainly blood splatters on the ground) visible on screen at any time (FalloutPrefs.ini).
fDecalLOD0=[def: NA] ; increases the distance that blood decals appear. EBT adds & sets to 70000.
fDecalLOD1=[def: 1000.0000] ; undefined functionality but FNV default setting
fDecalLOD2=[def: 1500.0000] ; undefined functionality but FNV default setting
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=[def: 10]
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=[def: 3]

[Decals]
uMaxDecalCount=[def:100] ; This variable seems to determine how many decals will remain on screen for longer than a few seconds. It won't prevent multiple decals from being shown, but if you lower the number, additional decals above the value you set for this variable will fade out very quickly (FalloutPrefs.ini).

-Dubious

Edited by dubiousintent

Thanks for all the responses!! It's a shame it's handled by an .ini as opposed to something that can be edited in the GECK and packed into an .esm, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Edited by punchbattle

You can actually script it to do so, but I would say it's probably not worth it. However, if you want, well, it's intriguing enough that I'll come along for the ride. I've never done it before, and it looks a bit complex, but it's pretty clearly possible.

You would want to use the FalloutCustom.ini from JIP, which will override (but not overwrite) all other settings from all other .ini files if JIP is installed. At that point, you'd essentially want to use a script that finds the .ini setting as a string, and replaces it with what you want. That is, unless there's a better way that I'm not aware of.

Here's all the JIP functions:

https://geckwiki.com/index.php/Category:Functions_(JIP)

I've done a cursory look and this seems doable, if not quite a bit more complex than simply instructing others to modify their .ini files.

Edited by EPDGaffney

• 2 years later...

My apologies. I hadn't realize the link to the "Default INI Values" article was bad. I've fixed it. You should be able to follow that now. Use a "text editor" such as Notepad (not Write) to edit the appropriate INI file. Please see the 'Game INI files' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article for their location and purposes. Be sure to back those files up before you starting making changes.

You should first search for a specific entry from that post to see if it is present in the indicated INI file, and then add it to the end of the designated section (e.g. "[Display]") if not found. Anything after a semi-colon (";") on a line is a comment and ignored. It is useful to "comment out" the original values so you know what to restore if a change doesn't work out as expected. Everything shown as "[def: <somevalue>]" in the post should have been placed in the comments. Just place the new value there as a number (e.g. "fDecalLifetime=800.000 ; [def: 10.0000] the lifetime of all decals. The number can be changed to further increase or decrease the duration. EBT increases this to 800.000.")

Notice the numbers used are 6-8 digits, with the decimal point being placed as appropriate (e.g. "800.000"). I don't know if that is significant, but always use the number of digits given for the "default" value just to be safe. The "STEP Project Default INI Values" article gives vanilla INI values.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent