CK loads default face for NPC instead the formerly exported geometry

Conquestus

Hi there,

sorry to bother, but maybe you have some answers or even a solution for my problem.

So it seems, that my Creation Kit doesn't load the associated FaceGeom meshes from "meshes\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceGeom\[modname].esp\[filename].NIF"

and the FaceTints from "textures\actors\character\facegendata\facetint\[modname].esp\[filename].dds"

whenever I try to edit the mod when I reopen it with CK and try to preview the face or the whole character,

I get some errors like:

"TEXTURES: femalehead.nif : FemaleHead is missing a facegen tint map"

"TEXTURES: femalehead.nif : FemaleHead is missing a facegen detail map"

"TEXTURES: Should have been converted offline"

and it shows me some sort of default face, instead the formerly exported FaceGeometry... And the same happens in the Render Window - Just some weird default face, instead the correct one.

Is there a solution? I'm pretty new to modding SSE and I never had such problems with first Skyrim and it loaded those FaceGeoms without problems, so it's annoying me beyond imagination especially because I couldn't find a solution or at least a work-around...

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is already answered somewhere... I searched the hell out of this forum and google but couldn't find anything that worked.

Edited by Conquestus

I've not really tested loading custom facegen data much, honestly just never looked. Always did basic creation in CK, exported, then went and made head in ECE or something else. From the errors you cited it looks the file files aren't on disk as loose files. If they're packed in a bsa then that explains it. CK won't load some (all maybe?) files from a bsa unless you add it to the ini list to load. This is contrary to how the game loads bsa's related to the plugin being loaded.

Something to be aware not directly related to your question, but specific to SSE CK, is that every time you save the active plugin it will re-export facegen data for all NPC records in the active plugin file. So if you have custom facegen data you'll want to save it elsewhere until you're ready to pack your mod.

Had the same issue, i fixed it by simply overwriting the facegen created by the CK with the original one.

An easier way would be to keep the original mod in a folder, do the nif optimizing, only move the mod.esp to your data folder, open it in CK, save it, move the newly made esp file to your old folder and overwrite. Repack the old folder and install it.

It worked with follower mods.

I've not really tested loading custom facegen data much, honestly just never looked. Always did basic creation in CK, exported, then went and made head in ECE or something else. From the errors you cited it looks the file files aren't on disk as loose files. If they're packed in a bsa then that explains it. CK won't load some (all maybe?) files from a bsa unless you add it to the ini list to load. This is contrary to how the game loads bsa's related to the plugin being loaded.

Something to be aware not directly related to your question, but specific to SSE CK, is that every time you save the active plugin it will re-export facegen data for all NPC records in the active plugin file. So if you have custom facegen data you'll want to save it elsewhere until you're ready to pack your mod.

Wow, that's a pretty stupid thing to do by CK... I really do not understand, why this seems to be a good idea for the developers.

Had the same issue, i fixed it by simply overwriting the facegen created by the CK with the original one.

An easier way would be to keep the original mod in a folder, do the nif optimizing, only move the mod.esp to your data folder, open it in CK, save it, move the newly made esp file to your old folder and overwrite. Repack the old folder and install it.

It worked with follower mods.

Yeah I already came across this... Yet it doesn't help when I try to edit my mod. Ingame it works, the NPC has the correct headmesh/-texture, but when I want to edit the face a little bit more in ck, I have to start at zero, because it loads some sort of preset or default head...

• 3 months later...

So this problem seems not only about my PC . It is not matter, the NPC race is custom or default .

t I see same problem happen , when try to some edit for NPC s offered by SE ported mods from nexus.

It is really annoying, everytime I need to keep all facegen in another folda. then after edit and save in CK,

I need to copy and paste from the directory.

Or there is some strict rule, avoid to CK re-generate face gen mesh and textures ?