H.A.S.T.E. gone?

COMBATFUN

People really need to check themselves when they complain about stuff that is made for free. I really hate this happened and I am worried more and more mod authors will follow suit. Please, everyone who enjoys the mods of skyrim, please be sure to show these mod authors your appreciation! They don't have to make this content, they choose to do it.

That's one way to look at it. But there are two sides to every story. I think it's incredibly obtuse to post an idea on the internet and expect everyone to like it. A holes will always have access to the internet. If you don't want your ideas to be criticized then don't put them on the internet. It's that simple.

People really need to check themselves when they complain about stuff that is made for free. I really hate this happened and I am worried more and more mod authors will follow suit. Please, everyone who enjoys the mods of skyrim, please be sure to show these mod authors your appreciation! They don't have to make this content, they choose to do it.

That's one way to look at it. But there are two sides to every story. I think it's incredibly obtuse to post an idea on the internet and expect everyone to like it. A holes will always have access to the internet. If you don't want your ideas to be criticized then don't put them on the internet. It's that simple.

To add to that - Also, I'm beginning to see signs of the Snowflake Mentality to creep into sights like this. The " expectation " that your idea - mod and such will " just be accepted ", is naive to say the least.

A while ago, I had a mod creator tell me, " I don't understand, dammit. The mod works fine on my computer .... " For which I tried as kindly as I could, " Well, not everyone has your computer. Thus you have to be willing to tweak here and there to get the mod more ' user friendly ' within the community. "

Sadly, he too, took his ' ball and went home ' ....

And you are absolutely right, there are definitely two sides to a story. You do have to be strong and resilient if you are going to post an idea or creation for everyone to see.

To add to that - Also, I'm beginning to see signs of the Snowflake Mentality to creep into sights like this. The " expectation " that your idea - mod and such will " just be accepted ", is naive to say the least.

A while ago, I had a mod creator tell me, " I don't understand, dammit. The mod works fine on my computer .... " For which I tried as kindly as I could, " Well, not everyone has your computer. Thus you have to be willing to tweak here and there to get the mod more ' user friendly ' within the community. "

Sadly, he too, took his ' ball and went home ' ....

You're also correct, and I hope the snowflake trend doesn't grow anymore but as we are seeing that may not be the case. From my view, from what I saw on the threads in regards to the mod was a lot of people complaining how the mod author did something with a magic school group by adding paralysis I believe, and making it to where it wouldn't trigger hostiles. I can't remember the exact details but I just remember a lot of people complaining how the author altered the magic issue and I'm thinking "if you don't like it don't download it". That's the view I'm coming from.

I can't remember the exact details but I just remember a lot of people complaining how the author altered the magic issue and I'm thinking "if you don't like it don't download it". That's the view I'm coming from.

Correct, that's the way a mod author should also think. Especially if he doesn't have the time, skill, or desire to fulfill everyones wishes. That's impossible anyway, even if he had the possibility. There are simply too much diffrent opinions/tastes. I think Horrible Andy totally overreacted and he is not the only mod author doing so.

Edited by COMBATFUN

I can't remember the exact details but I just remember a lot of people complaining how the author altered the magic issue and I'm thinking "if you don't like it don't download it". That's the view I'm coming from.

Correct, that's the way a mod author should also think. Especially if he doesn't have the time, skill, or desire to fulfill everyones wishes. That's impossible anyway, even if he had the possibility. There are simply too much diffrent opinions/tastes. I think Horrible Andy totally overreacted and he is not the only mod author doing so.

I was following that MOD as I liked the direction it was going. I also remember that the Author asked for Input and Suggestions.

The thing is, if you are going to ask for input and such, you better have a backbone to deal with it. No, agreed not everyone is P.K.T. ( Polite - Kind - Thoughtful ). Some just " put it out there " and have the diplomacy of a Zombie or Bull in a China Closet.

I was following that MOD as I liked the direction it was going. I also remember that the Author asked for Input and Suggestions.

The thing is, if you are going to ask for input and such, you better have a backbone to deal with it. No, agreed not everyone is P.K.T. ( Polite - Kind - Thoughtful ). Some just " put it out there " and have the diplomacy of a Zombie or Bull in a China Closet.

Same, I really liked the fixes the mod had in it as they are things that really should have been put in to begin with, I mean a chicken being a witness to a crime? Really? But yea I did have high hopes for this mod and I do wish the mod author had been stronger in enduring some strong and harsh criticism. I must have missed the asking for input thing but yea you're right, if you ask for input you gotta have a strong backbone. All I know at this point is, a really good mod with huge future potential is gone and I do hate that.

If I were a mod author, I would follow the examples of what I've seen on how many mod authors seem to handle negative comments. I've seen it so many times where there will be some negative comment made and nothing more added to the comment - no acknowledgments, no replies. Then a constructive comment or question will get posted by another user at a later time - then suddenly the mod author provides a response. In other words, the mod author ignore the unconstructive comments and only answered the constructive ones.

There is such a thing as using tact and a 'proper tone' when writing emails, messages, etc.. I once worked with a software developer that was the nicest dude to talk to, but whenever he wrote emails - it was often too blunt, too direct, and written in a way that he could do no wrong - very defensive. In the late 90s, I ran a CS (original CS) gaming clan. I provided the T1-rate SDSL connection and the game server PLUS a RAID 5 storage setup to run a clan FTP site - another member ran the website (thank god). I asked for donations from the 40 or so members but ended up paying $150 of the monthly $200 connection fee, the electricity bill to keep things up 24/7, and dealt with administering the FTP site. I'd get continuous complaints from some of the members that the server was laggy (their connection problem most often) or they should be an admin on the server because they gave me a dollar, list goes on and on. At some point I hit harder financial times and really put it out there that I need more donations otherwise I would need to shut things down. No donations came in, so I shutdown - even posted the countdown in days to shutting down - still no help. Once I finally did shut things down, I never heard from ALL the members again.

So yea, I see why he took everything down and I can, in a similar way, identify with how he's feeling. Unfortunately, there's all types out there and in my opinion, based on my own life experiences, there's more of "them" than there are of "us"... so the end solution is, since putting the mod up on Nexus is free to the mod author, and he or she can (and most often does) make the disclaimers on the main mod page that a mod is in alpha or what not then handle the traffic accordingly - ignore the whiners, and build upon some good relationships with the good players that appreciate the mod but may have constructive crit or questions.

To be fair, if a person finds certain criticisms sufficiently inconvenient, there is nothing wrong with them withdraw their files and / or presence from the community with little to no explanation. There's nothing inherently unreasonable about that. Whats uncalled for, however, is to encounter a few disagreeable individuals on the Nexus and proceed to make disparaging remarks regarding the entire community. A "Community" doesn't function as a monolith outside of a cult.

Chances are you've encountered authors that are incredibly pompous and condescending to users, but they don't define the community. It's a trade-off. Sure, the Nexus can implement strict criteria regarding who is allowed to post or upload here, but this would create a platform that is less accessible to the types of people that can and will make meaningful contributions.