Skyrim no music :S

Xahstur

1. Go to a town. (I went to solitude)
2. alt-tap to your desktop and return to the game. You should be haring the "dragon fighting" music
3. open the console with the ` key (next to the "1" key)
4. type: removemusic MUSCombatBoss (the dragon tune should fade out)
5. wait a couple seconds and the town music should start playing
6. Once you hear it, fast travel to a different town to see if the music still plays, then go to a dungeon or outside to see if the other music works.

from steam forum

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I figured out the problem. This thread is at the top of google search with "Skyrim no music', so I figured I might as well post the solution here to anyone else who might have stumbled upon it.

If you've googled, it's likely the only response you've seen was to type 'removemusic MUScombatcivilwar' in the console command.

That's almost right, but if that doesn't work, obviously it's some other file that's causing the problem. So you'll have to find it:

It's a bit cumbersome, but type in 'help mus' in the console command. You'll get a long list of information, but use the Page Up button to scroll through the list. Eventually you'll start to see a whole section of 'MUSC: MUS[name]'

That's it, really. Now you've got to go through the list by doing 'RemoveMusic MUSCombat', 'RemoveMusic MUSCombatBoss', etc etc, until you finally start hearing music again. For me it was MUSDungeon that got stuck. By the way, you'll have to close the console before music starts playing again, so close it after every 10 commands or so, to see if you got it.

(To save time typing, use the Up-arrow key to see your previously/last typed command again).

Good luck!

Thank you that helped me :D

• 1 month later...

I removed everything and nothing

I figured out the problem. This thread is at the top of google search with "Skyrim no music', so I figured I might as well post the solution here to anyone else who might have stumbled upon it.

If you've googled, it's likely the only response you've seen was to type 'removemusic MUScombatcivilwar' in the console command.
That's almost right, but if that doesn't work, obviously it's some other file that's causing the problem. So you'll have to find it:

It's a bit cumbersome, but type in 'help mus' in the console command. You'll get a long list of information, but use the Page Up button to scroll through the list. Eventually you'll start to see a whole section of 'MUSC: MUS[name]'

That's it, really. Now you've got to go through the list by doing 'RemoveMusic MUSCombat', 'RemoveMusic MUSCombatBoss', etc etc, until you finally start hearing music again. For me it was MUSDungeon that got stuck. By the way, you'll have to close the console before music starts playing again, so close it after every 10 commands or so, to see if you got it.
(To save time typing, use the Up-arrow key to see your previously/last typed command again).

Good luck!

Thank you that helped me :D

removed all music files like in the comment still no music :(

• 3 months later...

2. alt-tap to your desktop and return to the game. You should be haring the "dragon fighting" music

6. Once you hear it, fast travel to a different town to see if the music still plays, then go to a dungeon or outside to see if the other music works.

from steam forum

This worked. You go to a town (this is for forcing a city default music), then alt+tab to your desktop.

When you return to skyrim (using mouse is better, but alt+tabbing again works the same), you should hear the music that is stucked.

To me, in example, it was a combat music of The Wheels Of Lull mod. I removed via console the music in question (removemusic _lull_MajerMusic) and BANG ! City music was back again without flaws.

I needed to clarify this because it's not necessarily one of default combat music that is stuck: it could be any kind of music, especially if you mod your soundtrack with mods like Sounds of Skyrim or install mods that has their proper music (like Wheels Of Lull).

Just My 2 cents

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Figured I'd add my solution, as it seems to be a common problem, and Google searches invariably point to this thread as well. In my case, as has happened to countless others: some music was still playing in the background. An earlier post suggested going through all music, and stopping them individually. It can be a pain, especially if mods add a ton more songs, but it worked in my case. However, I saved myself a bit of time by honing down exactly WHEN my problems started. I was able to bring it down to two possible mods that had caused this to happen.

Thus far, the two mods I've had to stop music for: Forgotten City (endless loop of one song) and Maids 2 - Deception (the culprit this time, with a track that was LITERALLY entitled "Silence").

So it comes down to general rules of Skyrim: play mods out from beginning to end, and stagger your saves accordingly. I generally keep one save before I start a mod, and then cycle 2-3 saves during the course of a mod. I keep a save from several questlines back, and of course the base save on exiting the cave after Helgen. By cycling through saves, I was able to realize it wasn't a file integrity issue. I happened to luck out, in terms of saving time, but the core solution boils down to: some song is playing in the background, even if you can't actually hear anything.

TL;DR: if you just finished Maids 2 or Forgotten City, go down the list of songs for either mod, and stop each of them until the music starts back up.

• 2 years later...

Thank you very much!!! I have the same problem with the same music! You have saved my life.

from steam forum

This worked. You go to a town (this is for forcing a city default music), then alt+tab to your desktop.

When you return to skyrim (using mouse is better, but alt+tabbing again works the same), you should hear the music that is stucked.

To me, in example, it was a combat music of The Wheels Of Lull mod. I removed via console the music in question (removemusic _lull_MajerMusic) and BANG ! City music was back again without flaws.

I needed to clarify this because it's not necessarily one of default combat music that is stuck: it could be any kind of music, especially if you mod your soundtrack with mods like Sounds of Skyrim or install mods that has their proper music (like Wheels Of Lull).

Just My 2 cents