[WIP] I need your idea for interesting encounters

SetteLisette

Hiya.

I've been working on a mod that adds new random encounters. Random encounters are events which you'll come across as you travel through the wilderness of Skyrim.

I'm here because I need your creative minds to come up with some interesting ideas for new encounters. So far I've already made about 30 and I intend to make many more, which requires ideas to make them interesting.

Just so I can give you better insight on what I'm making, I have videos from my testing which shows a few of them in action. :smile:

VIdeo 1

Stormcloaks taking a Thalmor as their prisoner. The prisoner will try to escape if you free him, or the group is ambushed.

Video 2

This mod does not only add wilderness encounter but what I call city encounters. This is one of the city encounter where you'll see a thief picking pockets of randomly-chosen civilians.

Video 3

Many of the newely-added encounters involve with faction encounters, including Dawnguard, Vigilants of Stendarr, and more.

What I'm trying to show you here is that my idea for this mod is to add more interesting, genuine elements of surprise to the game; not to make your game more difficult by adding more enemies you just bump into.

In fact quite a few of the new encounters will simply add friendly travelers and merchants in a little bit different fashion than vanilla.

And here are the encounters I'm currently trying to create.

• Witness your fellow Dark Brotherhood members killing their contracts!...I've already made an encounter with Cicero. I have an idea for Nazir. I'd also like to make one for other members such as Gabriella and Veezara but I'm struggling to come up with ideas for creative scenes.
  • Solstheim encounters...I'd like to add more variations for random encounters in Solstheim. So far I've only made 3. Like I mentioned, I don't wish to add encounters where you simply bump into some random hostile NPCs, which most of vanilla encounters in Solstheim are, sadly. I'd like to make encounters that somehow reflects the history or culture of Morrowind.

Any ideas you can give me regarding these two will be most appreciated! Also if you guys have ANY ideas for what encounter you'd like to see included in my mod you're most welcome to share them as well.

Cheers :smile:

Edited by SetteLisette

I'll try throwing a few ideas your way , see if any are worth the time and doable

maybe have a random hostage situation where bandits take someone hostage , and you can try to save that hostage for a reward (which depends on the "class" of the hostage)

or something like raiders\pirates along the coast lines of Skyrim or Solstheim , unloading some booty (or hunting for it)

maybe try an encounter where Rieklings capture and transport NPCs like the Civil War variants (you can also try the same with Vampires or Werewolves , or even Dawnguard or Vigilants doing the same)

another interesting prospect is maybe have NPC dragonhunters who , after the rise of dragons , try hunting them for trophies or such

maybe have mages\necromancers performing some ritual which you can interrupt

these are the random ideas that came to mind right now , maybe I'll have some more after thinking about it some more

the problem I have with more specific encounters is I can't really think of any interesting named NPC in the game that has enough personality to assign an encounter with (though I haven't played the game in a few months now , so I don't remember everything about it)

hope these are at least somewhat decent , would love to hear your thoughts :)

I'll try throwing a few ideas your way , see if any are worth the time and doable

maybe have a random hostage situation where bandits take someone hostage , and you can try to save that hostage for a reward (which depends on the "class" of the hostage)

or something like raiders\pirates along the coast lines of Skyrim or Solstheim , unloading some booty (or hunting for it)

maybe try an encounter where Rieklings capture and transport NPCs like the Civil War variants (you can also try the same with Vampires or Werewolves , or even Dawnguard or Vigilants doing the same)

another interesting prospect is maybe have NPC dragonhunters who , after the rise of dragons , try hunting them for trophies or such

these are the random ideas that came to mind right now , maybe I'll have some more after thinking about it some more

the problem I have with more specific encounters is I can't really think of any interesting named NPC in the game that has enough personality to assign an encounter with (though I haven't played the game in a few months now , so I don't remember everything about it)

hope these are at least somewhat decent , would love to hear your thoughts :smile:

I've made hostage situations for various factions such as Forsworns. I'm so far happy with the result and will expand it to Falmers and possibly Rieklings in Solstheim.

I've also made necromancers and mages from College performing magic on the road. I'm willing to do something similar for Solstheim where eccentric mages are experimenting some weird spell.

I'm not so sure about dragonhunters in terms of lore-friendliness, but I can certainly do things like a group of bounty hunters/mercs or trollhunters on the road.

If you have more throw them at me anytime :happy:

hope these are at least somewhat decent , would love to hear your thoughts :smile:

I've made hostage situations for various factions such as Forsworns. I'm so far happy with the result and will expand it to Falmers and possibly Rieklings in Solstheim.

I've also made necromancers and mages from College performing magic on the road. I'm willing to do something similar for Solstheim where eccentric mages are experimenting some weird spell.

I'm not so sure about dragonhunters in terms of lore-friendliness, but I can certainly do things like a group of bounty hunters/mercs or trollhunters on the road.

If you have more throw them at me anytime :happy:

I got a request for bar fights between NPCs the other day. Honestly, its not something I'd normally make, but since it was from a voice actor who's helping me with a quest mod, I told him I'd do it. Granted, though, it would be much better to make it part of this mod as opposed to making it a standalone. If you'd take the torch from me on this, I'd appreciate it.

I got a request for bar fights between NPCs the other day. Honestly, its not something I'd normally make, but since it was from a voice actor who's helping me with a quest mod, I told him I'd do it. Granted, though, it would be much better to make it part of this mod as opposed to making it a standalone. If you'd take the torch from me on this, I'd appreciate it.

Actually, I've already made a tavern brawl as part of the city encounters. :smile: Every time you enter a tavern there is a chance where drunks are at fist fighting.

How about having some of the lesser known named NPCs out in the world, rather than just standing around doing nothing important once you finish their quests? Like for example, vanilla has that one hunter who runs the market stall in Whiterun out hunting in the fields beyond the city sometimes. A few things like that could be good. You could have, for example, that priest in Dawnstar go looking for recruits for his new temple. Or maybe have that warrior gal who sits on the 700 steps and later disappears from the game entirely (Kartia? something like that) as an encounter somewhere.

I remember seeing another encounter mod that had some of the mercs you can hire as followers and members of the Companions show up randomly on the road, possibly fighting bandits. I thought it was pretty neat that I'd be walking down a road in Riften and run into the dark elf merc from Whiterun, or a road in Falkreath would have Aela show up out of nowhere.

How about having some of the lesser known named NPCs out in the world, rather than just standing around doing nothing important once you finish their quests? Like for example, vanilla has that one hunter who runs the market stall in Whiterun out hunting in the fields beyond the city sometimes. A few things like that could be good. You could have, for example, that priest in Dawnstar go looking for recruits for his new temple. Or maybe have that warrior gal who sits on the 700 steps and later disappears from the game entirely (Kartia? something like that) as an encounter somewhere.

I remember seeing another encounter mod that had some of the mercs you can hire as followers and members of the Companions show up randomly on the road, possibly fighting bandits. I thought it was pretty neat that I'd be walking down a road in Riften and run into the dark elf merc from Whiterun, or a road in Falkreath would have Aela show up out of nowhere.

That is an interesting idea. Although I've already made more than a few encounters where you'll come across underappreciated NPCs hitting the road, I haven't made or thought of anything to do with Karita (the pilgrim). Thanks for the idea!

The other encounter mod you mention must be Extende Encounters by Jonx0r, which I took inspiration from. My mod will have encounters with hirelings, too.

At one point I was going to make a tavern brawl mod but left it be, but I made wieldable tankards for them to fight with, not the best models but if you're interested let me know (pic are on my profile, "When Mead Is Life")

As far as idea's, maybe a Riften encounter where you see a corrupt guard hassling other npcs for a tax, just like he did with you.

For Solsteim, maybe some Rieklings attacking that mead hall(assuming the player didn't let the rieklings take it over), another idea, maybe revelers, except ones that are dark elves, and give the player drinks native to Solstiem.

Edited by Guest

So far you seem to have a really cool mod.

If your interested I've been able to create standalone, non-scripted bards that actually play new music. It just uses packages and a magic effect on the NPC. Maybe you can have a random bard walk throughout the town playing music.

Perhaps when the player is in the castle you can have a random mercenary walk up to the jarl or steward, the jarl/steward then says "thank you, you've done us a great service, here is your reward". mercenary then sandboxes at the inn until he's cleaned up.

A random priest that walks in the hold's "market square" area and the NPC would have the same voicetype as Heimskr then starts preaching the same lines of dialogue as Heimskr. Actually this would be difficult and possibly annoying.

A random NPC runs into town or from the inn, has the drunk voicetype, wears no clothes and just starts randomly running around until the guards capture and arrest him, then cart him off to jail.