[ASK] How to fix Black Face bug?

celebriton

I was having a two different face bug problems that needed different solutions:

The first was with a follower mod that the orc followers' head was brown. Using the CK face gen export command (Ctrl-F4) corrected that problem.

The second was more difficult to solve it was the vampire face bug affecting the female lumberjack at the Half-Moon Mill named Hert. I had tried using the CK, Skyrim NPC Editor, certain bug-fix mods, console commands mentioned in the Skyrim NPC Editor readme file and none of them solved the problem.

While reading again The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Page list of console commands a line in the notes for the setnpcweight caught my attention "Saving and re-loading a game after it's been used on an NPC may result in neck seams, as NPC head meshes are pre-modeled and not procedurally generated to the new weight value". An idea formed from (head meshes, pre-modeled and not procedurally generated new) and a post I had read sometime ago (that the game can forget part of the data on the NPC's appearance) and the order the games gets data (In Game --> Save Game --> Mod Files --> Skyrim Data). So I just tried the setnpcweight command and see what happens.

I had used the Skyrim NPC Editor to find her weight which is 10 and then used the targeted console command SETNPCWEIGHT 10 and the face bug had disappeared. Her head is back to normal with her facial scar and the vampire eyes. Saving the game made the fix permanent even when I loaded from a much earlier save than the one I used to fix the error.

When using the Skyrim NPC Editor, everything must be corrected using TESVsnip since Skyrim NPC Editor duplicates many things that have to be manually removed. Unless you are versed in TESVsnip iit is unlikely your problem will ever be solved by exporting the facegen data. The Skyrim NPC Editor and TESVsnip are old programs and out of date, neither should be used to manipulate the appearance of an NPC.

• 1 month later...

Yep I have that problem now after adding a few mods, I always thought it was a tintmask conflict, as once the forhead tint is removed problem is solved, except no makeup on the character!

LOL

alt-tab come back to game?? see a black face??? ding dong ring a ling door man is here

just save your game and go back to the main menu - and continue - FIXED!

Yes Jasmerd! That s true, no need to do 15000 manipulations (it s the best way to do big mistakes! so please don t)... Sometimes when the game loads the files (after a door or a teleportation or simply when you start to play), a pb happends. Reload and that s all.

Edited by GePalladium

• 1 month later...

I was having a two different face bug problems that needed different solutions:

The first was with a follower mod that the orc followers' head was brown. Using the CK face gen export command (Ctrl-F4) corrected that problem.

The second was more difficult to solve it was the vampire face bug affecting the female lumberjack at the Half-Moon Mill named Hert. I had tried using the CK, Skyrim NPC Editor, certain bug-fix mods, console commands mentioned in the Skyrim NPC Editor readme file and none of them solved the problem.

While reading again The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Page list of console commands a line in the notes for the setnpcweight caught my attention "Saving and re-loading a game after it's been used on an NPC may result in neck seams, as NPC head meshes are pre-modeled and not procedurally generated to the new weight value". An idea formed from (head meshes, pre-modeled and not procedurally generated new) and a post I had read sometime ago (that the game can forget part of the data on the NPC's appearance) and the order the games gets data (In Game --> Save Game --> Mod Files --> Skyrim Data). So I just tried the setnpcweight command and see what happens.

I had used the Skyrim NPC Editor to find her weight which is 10 and then used the targeted console command SETNPCWEIGHT 10 and the face bug had disappeared. Her head is back to normal with her facial scar and the vampire eyes. Saving the game made the fix permanent even when I loaded from a much earlier save than the one I used to fix the error.

"setnpcweight xx" is also the solution i have been using it works 90% of the time for me, if that fails then sometimes "resurrect" then going through a loading screen works. on the odd occasion nothing works and i have to reload from before it happened, it is most annoying.

ive been experimenting with a procedure i saw for fixing neck seems which often fixes this semi permanently.

setnpcweight xx (xx being the actual weight of the npc)

disable

enable

then save

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Stop using programs over skyrim, for example Overwolf, Skype, etc. Browsers are fine.

Yes they do screw up the game and can cause glitches such as your main character having a black face.

That's why when you alt-tabbed it would glitch out, because some programs will not re-activate after you alt-tab.

You're welcome :)

Edited by JetBoom21

• 3 months later...

Stop using programs over skyrim, for example Overwolf, Skype, etc. Browsers are fine.

Yes they do screw up the game and can cause glitches such as your main character having a black face.

That's why when you alt-tabbed it would glitch out, because some programs will not re-activate after you alt-tab.

You're welcome :smile:

Thank you sir, You're a hero, I haven't signed onto the fourms in years, but I did just to say thank you to you for telling me what I already knew, Overwolf sucks and needs to go away. Thank you sir!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I solved the problem deleting 3 files .nif of 3 character.
way
Data / meshes / actors / character / FaceGeom / Skyrim.esm

Inspired by this idea, I deleted named folder completely (sheer desperation...).

It worked!

No dark faces, no problems so far!

(Just to be on the save side...don't delete the folder, just move it to a save place! So you can restore it, the moment you encounter any problems! ;) )

• 2 months later...

Also a lesser well known magic trick is with SKSE and HDT. You'll exchange loading times for no more black faces. In file hdtSkyrimMemPatch.ini :

[Exception]
AutoSaveGame = true
MiniDumpWithFullMemory = false
ReportToWindows = true

[Memory]
RecordFormHeapAllocateFailed = true
FormHeapAllocateFromLargerSpace = true
FixInfiniteLoad = true
ReplaceDefaultHavokHeap = true

[Optimize]
FasterLoading = false

You change Fasterloading to false. It is normally to true. Perhaps it helps someone...