I want to retexure Lavender help me noob Skyrim/Oldrim no DLCs

Bones1x7

Hello there fellow traveler! Might I interest you in helping me understand how to retexture said Lavender? I'm in great need of help for I'm a NOOB! I can't find a retexure anywhere except the "Hybrids HD Plants and Herbs Retexture". This retexture set is fine and all but is outdated. So, I decided I would try to make my own.

I have a basic understanding of GIMP. I have the .dds and .nif plugnin's IDK on how to use these.

I have Nifscope IDK.

I have Creation Kit IDK.

I know that .dds files are the textures. IDK the difference between the two .dds's that come in most texture packs. I know that .nif's are meshes. I know where to put the files.

BUT!!!! If someone is already planing to release a retexure of Lavender; I would like to know and just wait for that instead. Or maybe direct me to one that has already been created that's on a foreign site that I can't find.

Thank You for your time.

P.S. If I'm on the the wrong forum let me know

Edited by Bones1x7

If you want to only retexture the lavender, then this shouldn't be hard since you had a basic knowledge of GIMP. no nifskope or CK is needed for this.

First, make sure you install your .dds plugin correctly ( very important ) if you already did that, then you good to go. if not, this video should help ( skip to around 3:50 of the video )

For simple retexturing, just drag and drop your lavender .dds to GIMP (if a box pop-up, make sure everything is tick then click OK) next click on Colors > Hue-Saturation, move the color slider around to get the right color that you wanted ( Hue is a quick slider to start with ), click OK when you're done.

After that, click on File > Export As > export it as .dds with it original name ( lavenderplant01.dds ) to your desired location.

Export setting should be something like this, click OK, Done!

tS8qeV7.jpg

Now copy your newly made lavenderplant01.dds and overwrite the old vanilla one inside your Skyrim folder.

A quick way to see the in-game result is to coc whiterun, there should be some lavender there.

I made a dark pink lavender retexture for this tutorial, you can download and use it as your file structure.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xPdB-WvrpIWd-xPmCuLWIpky947Cd9yy/view?usp=sharing

w19M6M1h.png

Doing a retexture of other should be the same process unless you want to paint it from scratch.

Thank you for the help, but I forgot to mention that I want to paint it from scratch. Could you tell me how to do that too?

Edit: I edited the texture you offered and when I went to Whiterun it was invisible. So, I made sure your texture(non-edit) was working and that I didn't put it in the wrong location, it worked. Then I was like,"Maybe I missed something?". I retextured yours again, every mipmap, and tested. Still invisible. What did I do wrong?

Edited by Bones1x7

If you want to paint from scratch, there are many different ways to do it, from Photoshop to 3D programs. I personally use Mudbox, you can create stencil from a real picture and paint your mesh with it.

This should explain how you could do it, from export your mesh as .obj and import it to Mudbox, then photoshop and in-game.

The title of the video is ''creating custom tattoo'' but the process of painting another object is actually the same. just imagine it as a lavender instead and you're using a stencil from the actual lavender picture to paint on it, also a basic understanding of the object UV map will help you paint better on a more complicated mesh.

But I recommend you use GIMP first until you familiar with how texturing work, edit UV map .etc.

For your texture problem, maybe you can upload your texture here? I might able to help out more. make sure you export it with a correct name and setting.

You don't need to retexture on mipmaps, only the main surface.

I was successful at creating a retexture. Now I would like to know how to easily get my hands on the other plant texture's in the game so I can change them. Many of the Reach plants bug me badly.

What I mean is that in order for me to create a retexture I need the vanilla base.

Edited by Bones1x7

You want to know which plant texture belongs to which, yes? if that the case, you'll need nifskope.

For example, if you want to retexture the red mountain flower, go to Data > meshes > plants > floramountainflower02red.nif ( many other plants also located in this folder )

After you open your floramountainflower02red.nif in nifscope, follow along with this quick 30sec video.

Basically, click on the mesh > NiTrishapeData > BSLightingShaderProperty > BSShaderTextureSet > you'll see the location and name of the plant texture at the bottom. for this one it's " Mountainflower01red.dds " first line, ignore the second and third.

You want to know which plant texture belongs to which, yes? if that the case, you'll need nifskope.

For example, if you want to retexture the red mountain flower, go to Data > meshes > plants > floramountainflower02red.nif ( many other plants also located in this folder )

After you open your floramountainflower02red.nif in nifscope, follow along with this quick 30sec video.

Basically, click on the mesh > NiTrishapeData > BSLightingShaderProperty > BSShaderTextureSet > you'll see the location and name of the plant texture at the bottom. for this one it's " Mountainflower01red.dds " first line, ignore the second and third.

Well this will help in the future, but I don't have nor know how to get the vanilla textures. I was able to make a retexture out of one I downloaded. I can't find vanilla textures in my skyrim folder either.

I forgot to tell you, that you need to extract those meshes and textures from the .bsa file first with BSA extraction tool, my bad!

You'll only need Skyrim - Textures.bsa and Skyrim - Meshes.bsa both could be located inside your Skyrim Data folder.

It's pretty easy actually, just a basic drag and drops then click on extract. I've put some tutorial links here

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Skyrim_BSA_Extraction

Once you're done extracting the .bsa file. go to the folder that you extracted the files to, you should have all the plants texture that you need.

BS2pZDA.jpg

Thank you so much!!!! You've been such a great help!!! I can wait to get started on this long journey!!! I won't be able to get to this for a while though because come to find out one of my mods is giving me random CTD's. I'll be sifting through 247 of them depending on how many I've downloaded in the last 6 months; who knows when I'll be done.

Once again if I run in to any issues I'll post here!