What Happens to werewolves AFTER they go to the hunting grounds?

PET6235

Ok this is something that has bothered the living heck out of me ever since getting attached to the companions.

Everytime I ask what happens to werewolves after they die I'm left with the same answer (They go to the hunting grounds) My question is what happens to their souls when that happens. Do they remain sentient, do they keep a human form, or do they essentially become just pet hunting hounds? I could see the appeal of the hunting grounds if it was essentially a wild man's sovngarde where people hunted both in a human and werewolf form I could see the appeal but if it's the latter I don't see how Hircine would get this reputation of being any more honorable than any of the other princes, getting exactly what you paid for/wished for is not a strange and new concept for daedra you get exactly what you pay for. it's always a case of be careful what you wish for.

Plus again if it's the latter I can definitely see the prejudice if you find out your fiance is a werewolf why would you give your heart to someone who when all is said and done will become twisted into little more than a glorified hunting dog? Especially if you are a nord that has a guaranteed spot in what is essentially the elder scrolls equivalent of heaven waiting for you Dragonborn or otherwise?

Again something that I can't get a clear answer on. what do you guys think?

Also note: I pair my Dragonborn with Aela all the time so if that whole marriage scenario seems oddly specific, it's because well...it is. And yes I do get into my Rping I like to think about how my character would react as if he were a real person.

Edited by PET6235

Hircine's Hunting Grounds are his particular sphere of Oblivion. We know that you can enter Oblivion physically, but it's also an abiding place for spirits. I liken it somewhat to Dragon Age's Fade -- a spirit can take on a form which can interact with persons who enter the realm (although in Dragon Age this is extremely rare). So, I see the Hunting Grounds as a place where the souls of werewolves are given a physical form in order to serve Hircine as part of the Wild Hunt. The body is dead, so the only way to serve Hircine is for the spirit to go to the Hunting Grounds. This is why Kodlak wants to be cured of his lycanthropy -- he wants to go to Sovngarde with the Honored Dead rather than serving Hircine in the Hunting Grounds. The little bit that we hear about Hircine's realm is that people report being attacked by creatures, not men, so I take this to mean that werewolves keep their beast form. Hircine is believed to have created werebeasts, so having his pack in beast forms would only make sense.

I'm like you. I like the RP aspects of games like TES games and Dragon Age. My characters will often do things that I wouldn't necessarily do myself. For me, that's half the fun; I get to be someone different. :D

The werewolves are Hircine's own "hunting hounds" when he enters the grounds, it's filled with other creatures, were-beasts and hunters at all times.

They have the beastform bodies during his personal hunt, but It's never specified whether they keep their own minds or submit to pure beast, I would expect Hircine to leave them with their thoughts though, since he appreciates intelligent, resourceful and surprising hunters.

What form they have when he's not partaking in a hunt is unknown, but I would take a guess at them perhaps reverting to something close to their original mortal form in order to rest before the next chase.

Figured that was the case. then by all accounts this is how i'd play out if I were doing a tabletop.

Alea: Why won't you marry me? We know we are both interested in each other

Dragonborn: How can I give my heart to a woman that I know when all is said and done will become twisted into nothing more than a wild dog?

Alea: E-Excuse me?

Dragonborn: Did I stutter?

Aela: (snarls) So,,,you do hate what I am.

Dragonborn: No Aela this is not what you are. This is what you choose to be. You weren't born a werewolf, you dipped your blood in the cauldron the same as I did, but the difference is when given the 2nd chance I chose to embrace my humanity rather than forsake it,

Aela: Going to the Hunting Grounds is not the curse you're making it out to be. Are you angry that we'd be separated in the afterlife because of sovngarde?

Dragonborn: it isn't about sovngarde. Maybe for you the hunting grounds are a paradise but I am not content losing what makes up who I am, my independence, my humanity. I lost that once twice before. I never want to lose it again.

Aela: So what are you going to do? are you going to expel me from the Companions because I'm the one that's still a werewolf?

Dragonborn: And what good would that do? Even if I did it wouldin't be for the right reason. Oh I could come up with a sorts of excuses but in the end my reasons would be entirely selfish, no being a werewolf does not change the fact you are still a shield-sister, but I want you to understand why I could never give myself to you with the knowledge I have. Maybe something will happen happen maybe Hircine himself will swear a vow that it would not go that way, but right now, I just, I just can't

Aela: I-I guess I understand, but it hurts knowing you feel that way about me.

Dragonborn: Trust me it hurts just as bad on this end.

I know this was long, but what do you guys think?

Aela would not admit to being hurt. She would be, but what you'd see is anger. I'd also even out the argument a little more so that the reasons he gives for understanding are her lines to say. But then, that's how I'd edit that dialogue. However, the outline is pretty accurate for what you're doing. :)