F4SE causing constant crashes on main menu, need help please!

trakmiro

Ever since the 1.10.64 update, the latest version of the script extender (build: 0.6.5) designed to work with the update causes crashes every single time I reach the main menu, or a few seconds into the intro video. I've tried disabling and/or updating every mod that I can find that uses the script extender, but that doesn't work. The one thing that actually let me get to the menu was launching the game without the script extender.

I think this has something to do with the script extender not liking the creation club. Whenever I get to glimpse the main menu while running the script extender, I notice the "ADDONS" and "CREATION CLUB" options are greyed out and when the news would normally pop up and connection to them has been established is when the game crashes. I tried the "No More Creation Club News" mod, but it's not the news module, it's the actual connecting to the CC that happens on game startup the script extender is interfering with.

This has been happening since yesterday, January 25th, when the update to the script extender was released and I seem to be the only one having this problem. I've tried verifying the integrity of my files, redownloading version 0.6.5 of the script extender and installing it 3 times, reinstalling the game and restoring my load order, and nothing works. Since the only thing that even got me to the main menu was not using the script extender at all I'm convinced it's the problem, or at least some rogue mod I missed is interfering with it secretly, but I disabled the mods I have that use scripts or that would affect the main menu/UI and nothing worked.

My other more far fetched theory is something changed or added in the 1.10.64 update is corrupt, like maybe a creation club package downloaded incorrectly and the game is trying to read it but can't, but I don't want to just start deleting things or installing those mods that overwrite the files with empty ones, especially since I have bought a couple of items. This also prevents me from downgrading to the previous version of the game because the 1.10.64 update apparently added significant functions that are used by objects like the Slocum's Joe settlement pack that I bought and was really hoping to use.

Here's my load order, sorted and checked for errors with LOOT: https://pastebin.com/qf7YPZfs

I posted this problem on the Fallout modding subreddit because I thought I could get some help there but people just keep telling me to update mods I don't have like DEF_UI so none of them are actually reading my load order. Hopefully someone here can help, I'd love to get back ingame.

LOOT is an excellent tool, but it's not perfect. :)

So, you're going to have to do a little sleuthing here. I don't play FO4, but I have modded Beth games since Morrowind, and the basics hold from game to game. Don't try all this when you're in a hurry -- be prepared to be patient and take your time. Make a sandwich, get some snacks and pull up your favorite comfort item.

First of all, be prepared to start a brand new playthrough that you use only for testing mods.

Now, disable all your mods. Do NOT disable FO4SE. See if the game will launch. I am betting that the problem is caused by a mod which is trying to load and access the script extender rather than the script extender itself.

If the game loads, then make your Test character. Now, save and close the game. If the game does not load, then the issue is indeed the script extender itself. If you are running an alpha version, see if there's a more stable beta or final version available. At this point, you should also verify your game cache through Steam. If you have made edits to your .ini files, make a copy of them and put them somewhere safe. Start the game from the basic launcher to generate new .ini files, then put your modified .ini files back into place.

Re-enable mods which do not require FO4SE in any way, shape or form. If the game loads, then you're good. Load in your Test character and run around a bit or do whatever. Save, then close. If the game does not load, then you've rooted out the group that contains your problem mod. Disable mods a few at a time until the game loads, then you should be able to identify the culprit.

If everything is still good, then you are going to re-enable your FO4SE mods no more than 3 at a time. Start the game, see if it loads, open your Test character, run around, then save and close. Rinse and repeat until you find the little group of mods that's causing your issue. Disable those mods one at a time until the game loads.

One thing I have learned about modding is that the problem isn't always where you think it is. I spent three days chasing down what I thought was a texture or body mod issue only to find out that the problem was a mod which varied characters' weights by race. :pinch: The process was painful.

Good luck! :smile:

If the game does not load, then the issue is indeed the script extender itself. If you are running an alpha version, see if there's a more stable beta or final version available. At this point, you should also verify your game cache through Steam. If you have made edits to your .ini files, make a copy of them and put them somewhere safe. Start the game from the basic launcher to generate new .ini files, then put your modified .ini files back into place.

:)

Okay, you may have skipped some steps. I have found that things run smoothly when you do a couple steps. Run the launcher outside of your mod manager. Set your graphics up, etc. Second, hit play, and go to the main menu. Load a save, or start a new game. Just let it get to where you can do something. If loading a save, move around. If a new game, just until you can set up the characters. Exit the game from there. Third, run F4SE, again outside of your mod manager. Make sure everything is set to run as admin. Once you get in game through F4SE, drop out again. Then run your mod manager, and start the process from the start there, as well. This all can help, or not, but it's worth a shot.

found a real solution ;) there is a Problem with the data/fse Folder - so delete it and it will run. Do not Forget to reload the mods or presets which are in it (presets ect.)

my game is on again - without all the big searching and Clearing and deleting stuff - just one step :)

Well just in case, if you find the game still crashing after "press any button to play" - independent wether you start the game through F4SE or not - try blocking Fallout 4 in your firewall.

This is definitely what fixed the perma-crashing in the main menu for me - seems to be an older problem from back in december, got the solution in Steam forums.

Edited by ScrollTron1c

• 1 year later...

found a real solution :wink: there is a Problem with the data/fse Folder - so delete it and it will run. Do not Forget to reload the mods or presets which are in it (presets ect.)

my game is on again - without all the big searching and Clearing and deleting stuff - just one step :smile:

<3

• 2 months later...

found a real solution :wink: there is a Problem with the data/fse Folder - so delete it and it will run. Do not Forget to reload the mods or presets which are in it (presets ect.)

my game is on again - without all the big searching and Clearing and deleting stuff - just one step :smile:

You deserve a fu****g MEDAL !

Edited by NiatlCZ