consistently inconsistent FPS performance

EQBallzz

So I recently started playing Skyrim again because I never finished it the other 2 times I started. Decided this time I would start fresh and heavily mod the game before even starting so I had a good and consistent experience from the start instead of tinkering with stuff throughout. I'm mostly using this Predcaliber walk-through: http://www.predcaliber.com/skyrim-1 except that I'm using the Antique Dragon ENB instead of the one in that walk-through (and some of the suggested mods from the Antique Dragon ENB).

I have everything installed and it looks good and all but I am getting really poor FPS when I initially load the game. I suspect this is due to the large number of high res textures that I added and once they all get loaded my FPS goes from 15-20 up to a pretty stable 55-80. If it ended there I wouldn't mind but as I move around it seems to drop again from time to time before getting stable again. As an example I was in Bleak Falls Barrow and my FPS would be great until I go into a new room and then it drops again for a while before stabilizing again.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any mods or .ini tweaks that will improve my performance so that I'm not dropping FPS so often to load textures (assuming that's what is even happening). Maybe if someone knows any particular load order issues (or just mods) that cause or can remedy this?

My system should be adequate to run a modded Skyrim so I don't think it's that:

1070ti

i7-4790 3.6Ghz

16GB RAM

Windows 10

I read somewhere that W10 has some issues with fully utilizing video cards with more than 4GB of memory (or something) so maybe that has something to do with it but not sure if that is true or even applies to me but maybe someone else knows about this.

BTW, I can post my mod list/order if need be but it mostly follows the list/order in the link above for Predcaliber.

Unfortunately this sounds like an engine bug. The engine Skyrim runs on (the Creation Engine) is an in house engine created by Bethesda but is based off of an old (and I believe unsupported) version of the Gamebryo engine which itself is (being old and unsupported) pretty unstable and crash prone. Top that off with the fact that the Gamebryo engine saw heavy modification by Bethesda even before the Creation Engine came along. It's sort of like the source engine becuase they're both sort of like a "pillar of duct tape", making the Creation Engine prone to glitches, bugs, crashes, and a myriad of other things. The Creation Engine is simply not well equipped to handle a f*#@ton of mods and is very unstable because of that.

I know it's not the answer you want to hear but unless there's a workaround (which there might be; think FNV 4GB or NVAC or USKP) the only option is uninstall some mods.

Also, I like the title "consistently inconsistent performance"

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm still searching for a solution and have been trying various mods and ini tweaks and it has gotten a tiny bit better but I still at times suffer from very low FPS in certain areas. The ironic thing is the game has been quite stable. I am not crashing at all or experiencing anything unusual other than continuous FPS drops. I'll keep experimenting I guess and then maybe start uninstalling mods until I find one that is maybe taxing my system more than it's worth having.

Well I have tried so many tweaks and ini settings but nothing really helps! Sometimes I think it's improved but then my FPS tanks again later. I guess it's stable enough to play as I'm usually between 40-60 FPS but it's just unbearable when it dips down to 20ish at times. Blarg!

Slowly went through all my mods and loaded them in sections and did some re-ordering of my load. Found a mod that was redundant (2 mods doing the same thing pretty much) and removed a couple other extraneous mods. I am still seeing little dips when I load or move to a new area/room/cave but it's just for a second before it goes back to 60 FPS. No sustained FPS drops that I have seen yet and that was my biggest issue so I guess my load order was the biggest issue (or maybe the redundant mod).

Skyrim is looking and running good now! Now I can just focus on the game and enjoy it without having to worry about...hey I wonder if there is a mod that will...