Fallout 3 Freezing/Crashing while Playing...

NicholasVickers

Hello everyone, This year I just got back into Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3, and was unable to get them to work when they were previously installed. I got New Vegas to work again, but I'm having a MAJOR problem with Fallout 3. I've done a good amount of the troubleshooting steps that you expect to do when running the game so far. My main issue is that I can get the game to run, but between 5-35 minutes of gameplay, I end up crashing/freezing to the point to where I have to forcibly close FO3. Here are my specs, and my load order.

Load Order: https://imgur.com/a/Wuoy6

Specs: Intel i5-4670

GTX EVGA 1080 SC

16 GB RAM

Also, I would like to note I do install FO3 on another drive other that my Local Disk, if that has any significance.

Hello everyone, This year I just got back into Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3, and was unable to get them to work when they were previously installed. I got New Vegas to work again, but I'm having a MAJOR problem with Fallout 3. I've done a good amount of the troubleshooting steps that you expect to do when running the game so far. My main issue is that I can get the game to run, but between 5-35 minutes of gameplay, I end up crashing/freezing to the point to where I have to forcibly close FO3. Here are my specs, and my load order.

Load Order: https://imgur.com/a/Wuoy6

Specs: Intel i5-4670

GTX EVGA 1080 SC

16 GB RAM

Also, I would like to note I do install FO3 on another drive other that my Local Disk, if that has any significance.

Your load list is a mess. If you go to the FWE mod page and scroll down, there is a sample load order there. Compare it to yours and make the changes.

Compatibility patches must load after the last mod that is being patched.

You do not need the RH_EVE_Bridge with the Blackened patch.

You do not need the RH_FWE_Bridge with the Blackened patch.

Do not try to play through the tutorial with mods active. Wait until you are in the vault tunnel, make a save, activate your mods and exit the tunnel to the wasteland.

Make another save after you are in the wasteland. This will allow you to start a new playthrough without going through the character creation or the tutorial.

If you want to change your character, use the save you made in the vault tunnel.

DO NOT USE LOOT to sort your load order if you want a playable game.

I updated the mod list, and followed it pretty similarly. I can tell where I should put some of them though, here is the updated load order, but still with crashes.

https://imgur.com/a/nkyaC

That WMK Bridge is actually moved to the end of the load oder also.

You should completely remove the unused patches.

Use only one of the FWE Restore Tracers.

The DLCs and FWE plugins need to be corrected.

The correct order is:

Fallout3

Anchorage

ThePitt

BrokenSteel

PointLookout

Zeta

with the plugins for any mod that has plugins for the DLCs in the same order.

Did you ever have the game running without mods?

What M48A5 meant is you should REMOVE the esp. files that you're NOT loading from the data folder. Merely deactivating them means they are still loaded, but not referenced.

You may also want to use FO3Edit to create a merged patch... Or WyreFlash to make a Bashed Patch, if the above tips haven't helped.

You should move the RH_WMK bridge to the bottom, AFTER both RH and WMK.

Edited by kschang77

I was going through the same thing and found this fix.

Admittedly, I've not yet played a very long game, but when/where the " usual CTD / Locks " would happen, they have not. :smile: So, so far so good and other's posted that it worked for them:

In:

< dir > \ My Games \ Fallout3 \

You will find a FALLOUT.INI

Back up this and/or do what I did and make these changes:

; added 01/29/2018 was bUseThreadedAI=0
bUseThreadedAI=1
; added that was NOT in the ini
iNumHWThreads=2
bChangeTimeMultSlowly=1
Yes, the notes ; added ... are indeed saved in any and all of my .ini files so I have a track of what I did .. and the commands to fall back onto if something should go wrong.

I found out my issue actually today. I was messing around with the mods and the order of them and it seems like there is a problem with Windows 10 and Fallout 3 stutter remover. Currently until I figure out the fix for it I'll just keep it out of my game.

I found out my issue actually today. I was messing around with the mods and the order of them and it seems like there is a problem with Windows 10 and Fallout 3 stutter remover. Currently until I figure out the fix for it I'll just keep it out of my game.

Okay, so what was your " Fix ", in case other Win 10 users ' run into the same issue '? :)

Glad you got it figured out. :)