Adding Collision to Static meshes.

ArchPhaeton

Hi everyone.

Lately I have been trying to properly add a collision mesh to a simple tower I made, for no avail. Most tutorials are pretty outdated and many tools no longer available.

I make my models as clean as possible in 3dsmax 2018 and export them to nifs using this plugin. They show in NifSkope_2_0_2017-12-27-x64 with no problems.

I managed to get hold on NifToolSuite 1.2.2.978 and ChunkMerge 1.0.0.1, and after properly setting them up and picking the target nif, collision nif and collision template (with all the steps from the niftools wiki), both just crash soon as I hit the proceed button.

My question for those in the know: What is the proper way of doing this for SSE? Which tools should be used?

Any hint will be greatly appreciated.

I use that nif plugin for 3ds max as well. It is supposed to have a collision tool in Create > Helpers > Niftools > bhkCollisionObject but some reason that menu does not appear for me. If you see that option I believe it is there to create custom collision for SSE/Fallout 4. Everything else works fine with the plugin for me, I can import/export my SSE and Fallout 4 nifs just fine, but the helper menu is not present. If anyone knows how to get that menu to appear I would definitely like to know, creating custom collision for objects would be nice.

- It is supposed to have a collision tool in Create > Helpers > Niftools > bhkCollisionObject -

I don't have that option either.

I find it odd that for something so common it's this difficult to dig up the proper method. At least one up to date.

Usually you just take a collision mesh from an existing vanilla nif and try to make it work. I do agree documentation./an easier way to make custom collision would be nice though.

I can take literally 5 seconds to create a mesh that covers my model to act as collision. The challenge is how to convert said mesh to the collision format SSE works with. I was hoping that nif plugin would be it but the helper menu is sadly missing. If you translate this page to English you can see the nif plugin has the collision tools needed: http://apertureit.blogspot.ru/2017/05/bhkcollisionobject.html unfortunately I can't get to those menus for some reason ... so close yet so far.

- It is supposed to have a collision tool in Create > Helpers > Niftools > bhkCollisionObject -

I don't have that option either.

I find it odd that for something so common it's this difficult to dig up the proper method. At least one up to date.

Usually you just take a collision mesh from an existing vanilla nif and try to make it work. I do agree documentation./an easier way to make custom collision would be nice though.

I can take literally 5 seconds to create a mesh that covers my model to act as collision. The challenge is how to convert said mesh to the collision format SSE works with. I was hoping that nif plugin would be it but the helper menu is sadly missing. If you translate this page to English you can see the nif plugin has the collision tools needed: http://apertureit.blogspot.ru/2017/05/bhkcollisionobject.html unfortunately I can't get to those menus for some reason ... so close yet so far.

I thought the collision formats for SLE and SSE were the same. Just that the mesh types changed from NiTriShape and NiTriStrip to BSTriShape.

-

Well I'm trying to make a small custom tower with a spiral staircase. While I could put some boxes and planes for the straight parts it wouldnt quite work for the tower part, or doing it wouldn't seem practical at all. I made a simplified model hoping to add it using chunkmerge but it just crashes.

The tower and the collision mesh

Well it's fairly ugly but I was kinda aiming to learn the process.

-

Well I'm trying to make a small custom tower with a spiral staircase. While I could put some boxes and planes for the straight parts it wouldnt quite work for the tower part, or doing it wouldn't seem practical at all. I made a simplified model hoping to add it using chunkmerge but it just crashes.

The tower and the collision mesh

Well it's fairly ugly but I was kinda aiming to learn the process.

Looks nice. You should be able to duplicate the meshes and on the new ones use a modifier to add the bhkRigidBody and then set your properties. At least that's how it's done with my ancient a.f. plugin. Takes some experimenting to get it right though after reviewing I realize it has an option for doing strip shaped collision. I don't think that one is compatible with SSE. I've only done convex and box shapes personally. Though compressed mesh might work for really complex things.

Looks nice. You should be able to duplicate the meshes and on the new ones use a modifier to add the bhkRigidBody and then set your properties.-

Thanks for your reply. I saw the add bhkRigidBody in compressed mesh mode in one of the old tutorials, but I can't find such modifier in my 3dsmax 2018.

Closest I found was MassFx RigidBody, and I didn't find any bhk/compressed mesh parameters under it. I don't even know if what it does would work for skyrim.

Again, I'm reading about using max 2012 and even 2011 which had Havok Tools compatible with skyrim. Getting this stuff seems unlikely at this point.

The max 2018 help says reactor/havok was replaced with the forementioned massFX/physX

After working my way around the modeling and texturing part in max, not being able to get that last simple step is quite frustrating.