Adding Collision to Static meshes.

ArchPhaeton

After a bumpy ride I managed to gather all the tools to create oldrim nifs with meshes, then using the optimizer to make it a newrim nif. Everything works to the point of putting it in CK, it even displays the collision with F4; however when I put it in-game, there's no collision...

Sounds like you might have set the collision geometry but not the physics settings. Like weight, and material type. Do you have screenshots of the settings for the collision in 3ds and/or a link the sample nif to review?

Edited by BigAndFlabby

Sounds like you might have set the collision geometry but not the physics settings. Like weight, and material type. Do you have screenshots of the settings for the collision in 3ds and/or a link the sample nif to review?

I followed the niftools tutorial, which covers material type (STONE for me, picked single type in chunkmerge) and I read somewhere that Weight is better left at 0.

I finally managed to get the collision to work. After using the chunkmerge, I copied a BSXFlags node from another static (integer 130) under 0 NiNode and blam! Here's the working nif if you wanna check it. My only gripe is i can't directly select any custom model i've made it from the preview window, with collision or without.

So to answer myself here, to make statics for Newrim with working collision:

-Get 3dsMax 2011

-Get Havok Tools 2010-2-0_20101115 and install the max plugin.

Make sure both of these match your operating system (32 or 64 bit)

-Model your nice stuff in Max 2011 (I modeled it in 2018 and couldn't open in 2011, had to export as .obj then import to 2011), and a separate collision mesh that coincides with it.

-Follow the niftools tutorial. Remember all reference meshes/templates have to be from oldrim (old nif format).

-When you got this final mesh with the collision added, check if it has the BSXFlag node, under 0 NiNode (the scene root). If it doesn't you can paste it from another static vanilla nif (Integer value 130)

-If the root node is 0 NiNode, right click->block->convert->bethesda->BsFadeNode.

-Run Spells->Sanitize->Re-Order blocks.

-Pass it with nif optimizer

-It should work in CK and in-game now.

So no, no direct creating newrim meshes that I know of.

Thanks to BigAndFlabby for his valuable insight.

Edited by ArchPhaeton

I finally managed to get the collision to work. After using the chunkmerge, I copied a BSXFlags node from another static (integer 130) under 0 NiNode and blam! Here's the working nif if you wanna check it. My only gripe is i can't directly select any custom model i've made it from the preview window, with collision or without.

What do you mean you can't select it in the preview window? In CK?

Custom nifs I've made in 3dsmax show and work well, however in the preview window I can't select them the way you can select most scene elements, let's say if you want to reposition a npc, a light marker, a furniture element or anything, you click on it then use the gizmos - I can't do that with my own nifs, I have to pick them from the scene items list and then use the gizmos.

I thought it was because my nifs had no collision before, but this one can't be selected by clicking on it either. :confused:

Custom nifs I've made in 3dsmax show and work well, however in the preview window I can't select them the way you can select most scene elements, let's say if you want to reposition a npc, a light marker, a furniture element or anything, you click on it then use the gizmos - I can't do that with my own nifs, I have to pick them from the scene items list and then use the gizmos.

I thought it was because my nifs had no collision before, but this one can't be selected by clicking on it either. :confused:

Well the nif you posted isn't properly formed. Open it with nifskope and convert the root node to BSFadeNode type. Then use the Spells | Sanitize | Re-Order Blocks. Then save and try that file. If you already loaded it in CK once you'll need to close it and reopen for it to reload the file and not used cached data. For simple testing you can just rename it, then change your filename reference on your record to get it to load the new one.

Well the nif you posted isn't properly formed. Open it with nifskope and convert the root node to BSFadeNode type. Then use the Spells | Sanitize | Re-Order Blocks. Then save and try that file. If you already loaded it in CK once you'll need to close it and reopen for it to reload the file and not used cached data. For simple testing you can just rename it, then change your filename reference on your record to get it to load the new one.

Well, that worked! thanks a bunch man. You just made my life several hours easier.

I'll add that bit to the answer to myself.

• 2 months later...

I use that nif plugin for 3ds max as well. It is supposed to have a collision tool in Create > Helpers > Niftools > bhkCollisionObject but some reason that menu does not appear for me. If you see that option I believe it is there to create custom collision for SSE/Fallout 4. Everything else works fine with the plugin for me, I can import/export my SSE and Fallout 4 nifs just fine, but the helper menu is not present. If anyone knows how to get that menu to appear I would definitely like to know, creating custom collision for objects would be nice.

Been trying to learn how to make custom collisions for the past week using this same plugin... Anyways I found that you can create the objects by doing Create > Helpers > Dummy > NifTools and then selecting an object type of bhkCollObj. However, I have yet to get the desired behavior in game for my collisions, but that's probably because I still have absolutely no idea what I'm doing lol