My first mod (that I intend to post online) and I would like some help and suggestions on how to achieve it.

Jules927

TL;DR this would require a sh*tload of scripting, but not much of level design. Do you have programming experience?

None really... But that's the thing, when I try to learn something, I tend to block at stuff I don't get rather than doing it then understand why and how it works. And since papyrus scripting isn't covered in a way for me to understand, I thought looking for a scripting "tutor" would be an easier way to accomplish my goals.

Yeah I could get someone else to do it, but what would I learn from that?

You're not really going to succeed in either one. This is really a DIY trial-and-error community. Many of us are perfectly happy to answer questions, kick in ideas, beta test, etc.. but you're going to have to figure out how to tutor yourself. It mostly comes down to that old line, "turn on the juice, see what shakes loose".

If you've never scripted before, I'd recommend three things right now:

1. Download and install GrepWin: https://sourceforge.net/projects/grepwin/

Believe me, this thing is a lifesaver when you need to figure out what you're doing wrong. Just do a fast textual search of the entire game script source filetree. Otherwise it's needle in haystack time.

2. Download and install Mod Organizer 2: https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer/releases

Use this instead of NMM. It'll let you easily segregate your mods and create test beds consisting only of the vanilla game and the mod you're focusing on. Best of all, you can maintain a separate default profile for the game you're actually playing.

3. Find a broken mod and set out to fix it. It doesn't have to be a major undertaking, the mod doesn't have to be actually broken (it may just not do exactly what you want), and you don't have to re-release your fixes to the public. But this will get you some success feedback almost right away, while teaching you the basics of coding and debugging Papyrus.

Seriously, and this is thirty years of programming experience talking, the smaller you start the better. You'll code more confidently, more efficiently, and you'll hit your larger goals more reliably. Make it work as fast as you can. Then make it better. Rinse and repeat.

Everything said above and then some. I'd like it if I could, one hundred times over... if someone had given me this advice when Id started out modding FO4, well, things may have been a lot smoother for my first release. Luckily I am a fast learner and mod #2 is a monster overhaul that functionally is, well, better, for the experiences and challenges of the first.

And even though the other slavery mods may not necessarily be what you were looking for, the suggestion was made so you could perhaps use their esp and scripts as a starting point to gain the knowledge to do some of the things you DO wish to do. :smile:

Edited by joerqc

Seriously, and this is thirty years of programming experience talking, the smaller you start the better. You'll code more confidently, more efficiently, and you'll hit your larger goals more reliably. Make it work as fast as you can. Then make it better. Rinse and repeat.

Thank you for your advices, now I've got somewhere to go with all of this. I'll check those out!