Absurd Texture Colors

onracr

Hello, i've recently begun modding for Fallout 4 and i wanted to create a compensator for M9 standalone pistol mod for personal use only. Anyway, after making some search, i found a .stl file for ALGIMEC compensator (it is open to common usage, downloaded it for *free).

Then i started to create uv mapping with blender to make textures w/gimp, etc. Yesterday, i made material file and made some alterations in nifskope to make this mod compatible with Fallout 4. And finally i achieved to preview the mod in fallout creation kit.

As you can see in the pictures, texture is messed up and when you look from the top of it, you can see the gray plane behind it, which is wrong.

After finished the uv mapping, selected "triangulate faces" option (blender) to export as an .obj , nevertheless this happened. I'll be so glad if you can give me some tips :)

Ps: I do not have much knowledge about making textures or anything about modding, so can you please keep it simple :)

Did you put the specular map image into the diffuse map field of the material editor?

Yes, i put compensator_d.dds, compensator_n.dds, compensator_s.dds (in this order) in the .bgsm file (in material editor which i built from another bgsm file (10mm compensator)).

Still, couldn't find the problem's source. Double triple checked every file's path and everything seems normal.. Btw works fine in the game but as in ck, looks purple/pink also in the game. I wonder could the textures i've made be totally wrong?

You're seeing through the mesh in spots because some normals are flipped the wrong way, that'll need to be cleaned up if you want it to appear completely solid. It appears you may have some faces set to smooth and some set to solid within the same feature, or have some very thin triangles causing weird angles, mostly along the top. I prefer to set all, or most, faces to smooth and use the Edge Split modifier to round things off properly. I usually use an angle from 45 to 60.

The texture MAY be displaying strangely because your specular map and diffuse map appear to be almost identical. From what I've been able to figure out Fallout 4 doesn't use black and white specular maps, but either a pink/blue combo or a green/yellow/orange. Both seem to kindof work, but I think the more green/orange ones are the way it's supposed to be done.

Textures must also be square, such as 1024x1024 or 2048x2048, in order to display properly. With that in mind, it's probably not even the issue I mentioned above, you're probably just getting a generic error texture because the engine won't read the resolution of your current textures.

Edited by jkruse05

Here's a new .obj with all the normals flipped the right way. It should be ready to download by the time you see this. If not, just wait a while and try again. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwr9368cr8nd7yc/New%20OBJ.7z?dl=0

I highly suggest redoing the UV map and making new textures to fit in a square resolution. Before you export again set Blender to Object mode, highlight the mesh, and apply the modifier 'Edge Split'. 45 seems to be a good angle for this mesh. If you are able, try to remove some of the extremely thin triangles (the ones you can barely even tell are there) along the top and adjust the remaining faces, perhaps by combining some vertices. It will help smooth out that curve on the top. Do that first, before anything else. Work in triangles so you don't have to use the automatic triangulation thing on export.

When you export again be sure to check 'apply modifiers'. It is already triangulated, so don't worry about that.

Here's a new .obj with all the normals flipped the right way. It should be ready to download by the time you see this. If not, just wait a while and try again. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwr9368cr8nd7yc/New%20OBJ.7z?dl=0

I highly suggest redoing the UV map and making new textures to fit in a square resolution. Before you export again set Blender to Object mode, highlight the mesh, and apply the modifier 'Edge Split'. 45 seems to be a good angle for this mesh. If you are able, try to remove some of the extremely thin triangles (the ones you can barely even tell are there) along the top and adjust the remaining faces, perhaps by combining some vertices. It will help smooth out that curve on the top. Do that first, before anything else. Work in triangles so you don't have to use the automatic triangulation thing on export.

When you export again be sure to check 'apply modifiers'. It is already triangulated, so don't worry about that.

Thank you very much for your answers and flipped the normals :) now, as you said, i'll make a new UV map, new textures with sq resolution.. But before those, i found a video about removing thin triangles; "ALT + J" shortcut removes all the triangles in the mesh in edit mod. I think this took care of triangles.

Just to be clear, adjusting the remaining faces and combining vertices are the parts of removing triangles, is that right? If so, there is only specular map left to do and i watched tons of videos about texturing but all the specular maps was b&w and sharpened ones.. If i didn't get wrong, "pink/blue or green/yellow/orange" these things are for creating a specular map ?

This helped me greatly, thanks again.