A few tips from the focus group

Thallassa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself rather amused by the fact that I told Vortex to check FO4 mods for updates and it's claiming a mod I know damn well is the most current version is out of date...

...It's MY MOD. Heh...

Yeah, it is doing similar things for me.

Which mod, does the version number follow semantic standards? (1.2.4 etc.)

Is the file vs mod page version/main file correct? Did you install it from the Nexus or manually via archive?

1. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29359

2. Yes (However, I just updated the download and the page to use MO standard in an attempt to bypass the problem)

3. Yes

4. Installed from Nexus, as an easy one to download to unlock MO2 port

LOOT already puts bashed and merged patches last. :armscrossed:

As far as the install ordering (man this is confusing already!) it's not ordered in the order you installed the mods like NMM. It's not ordered at all. It's just a list of the mods and some rules that tells Vortex which files to hardlink in the case that conflicts exist.

Um Loot does not do this. I had 3 merged patches and they were all over the load order. I had ESMs and ESLs both of which should be at the start of the load order throughout my load order, this after both the in vortex sorting and running loot several times, just to be sure. so no LOOT is not the answer. and thank you to NoShotz yes I did figure out about the priority on the plugins tab, however the numbering is convoluted and isnt in order as it goes -127 to 127 but -110 will show before -127 which mathmatically isnt possible if you are using that range. So either the negative is useless and just use 0-127 or that needs to be looked at.

Um Loot does not do this. I had 3 merged patches and they were all over the load order. I had ESMs and ESLs both of which should be at the start of the load order throughout my load order, this after both the in vortex sorting and running loot several times, just to be sure. so no LOOT is not the answer. and thank you to NoShotz yes I did figure out about the priority on the plugins tab, however the numbering is convoluted and isnt in order as it goes -127 to 127 but -110 will show before -127 which mathmatically isnt possible if you are using that range. So either the negative is useless and just use 0-127 or that needs to be looked at.

I should clarify, it loads merged patches after their masters (which is where they need to go, they don't need to go at the end) or if you name it TES5merged.esp it'll go at the end.

I always set my own categories in NMM. Every mod user had different approaches, so the default category system can't fulfill everyone. Yes, "Skyrim flora overhaul" and "UNP female body replacer" both provide models and textures, but they are quite different things. And I don't think they will ever conflict each other. There's no point putting them into same categories form a mod user's perspective in my opinion.

Vortex does allow custom categories. Click on the "categories" button. It brings up this menu

f53gnsH.png

It doesn't allow tagging though, nor arbitrary ordering of mods.

I should clarify, it loads merged patches after their masters (which is where they need to go, they don't need to go at the end) or if you name it TES5merged.esp it'll go at the end.

I always set my own categories in NMM. Every mod user had different approaches, so the default category system can't fulfill everyone. Yes, "Skyrim flora overhaul" and "UNP female body replacer" both provide models and textures, but they are quite different things. And I don't think they will ever conflict each other. There's no point putting them into same categories form a mod user's perspective in my opinion.

Vortex does allow custom categories. Click on the "categories" button. It brings up this menu

f53gnsH.png

It doesn't allow tagging though, nor arbitrary ordering of mods.

i do understand what you are saying, and what loot should do. however, loot is not working correctly. again esms and esls do not go at the bottom of a load order, vis and all its patches traditionally goes at the bottom of the load order. when you make a merge patch that encompasses all of those vis patches (i had over 50) and it loads at the top of the load order, with most of the mods it is patching below it, that is a problem. its as much a problem as esms and esls being loaded last. these are loot issues. i have found my temporary work around by brute forcing using the plugin priority and forcing mods that i need to be in specific places so that they actually function ex esms and esls as well as my merge patches that must be loaded last and no i dont name my bash patch tes5edit i name it something meaningful to me so i leave it alone.

Eventually we will hopefully reach a point where when you install a mod, all it's dependencies can be downloaded installed automatically as well.

Even better would be the ability to recognize that a given mod or series of mods has patches to help them work together.

At the bottom of the main Dashboard pane is a list of the available tools (i.e., .exe files, etc.) for whatever game profile is activated. Click on the big button that says "New Tool" and point it at the xxSE loader .exe; it's as simple as that. If you want, you can even designate that loader with the "Make Primary" menu item so that clicking the run button at the top left loads it instead of the default program.