A few tips from the focus group

Thallassa

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me the correct procedure to change to a different game so I can add mods or start the game?

I have 3 games with mods on Vortex but I am not sure what the best way is to change from game to game.

Click on the large game tile in the upper left and a drop down will open with all the games Vortex is managing for you.

Can someone please tell me the correct procedure to change to a different game so I can add mods or start the game?

I have 3 games with mods on Vortex but I am not sure what the best way is to change from game to game.

Click on the large game tile in the upper left and a drop down will open with all the games Vortex is managing for you.

Thank You.

If i click on the Launch icon i get an error message failed to run tool but if i click on the image it works correctly.

Edited by fchopin

• 1 month later...

I signed up for a premium last night, and immediately started trying to download mods via the NMM button on the mod page, with Vortex installed. It takes me to this error page: https://i.imgur.com/hPBsRqZ.png

I've tried in Edge as well, it also fails.

I have 7Zip installed. I tried setting it as the default app to open the manually downloaded files hoping the association might be the issue, but nope.

I've never installed another mod manager on this Windows install (fresh install this week).

I've run skyrim VR calibration (the three steps to team you to teleport, choose your movement options, etc). Is that enough or do I have to go into an actual game and create a save file? I've copied over my save file from a game I was already running up to level 10, so perhaps that counts?

Any pointers would be appreciated. I can manually download the mods and then drag them into the Vortex box to import them.

I signed up for a premium last night, and immediately started trying to download mods via the NMM button on the mod page, with Vortex installed. It takes me to this error page: https://i.imgur.com/hPBsRqZ.png

I have 7Zip installed. I tried setting it as the default app to open the manually downloaded files hoping the association might be the issue, but nope.

I've never installed another mod manager on this Windows install (fresh install this week).

I've run skyrim VR calibration (the three steps to team you to teleport, choose your movement options, etc). Is that enough or do I have to go into an actual game and create a save file? I've copied over my save file from a game I was already running up to level 10, so perhaps that counts?

Any pointers would be appreciated. I can manually download the mods and then drag them into the Vortex box to import them.

1) Open Vortex

2) View Advanced Settings

3) "Download" tab

4) Set to handle downloads. Make sure it says Download with manager.

Your error message indicates that NXM files are not associated with anyone - not NMM, not Vortex.

As far as I know, the steps I list will fix the associations. If I am wrong, someone will chime in and give the correct ones.

It worked! Thank you!

Adding to the Known Issues thread.

EDIT: Or not. Maybe a mod can. It's not publicly editable, fair enough I guess.

Issue: Clicking Download with NMM button on mod pages opens a browser page with an error that the file type is unknow.

Solution:

1) Open Vortex, go to Settings.

2) Enable Advanced Settings.

3) "Download" tab at the top of the same page.

4) Set to handle downloads. Make sure it says Download with manager. Click the Fix box if using Chrome.

1) Open Vortex

2) View Advanced Settings

3) "Download" tab

4) Set to handle downloads. Make sure it says Download with manager.

Your error message indicates that NXM files are not associated with anyone - not NMM, not Vortex.

As far as I know, the steps I list will fix the associations. If I am wrong, someone will chime in and give the correct ones.

• 6 months later...

Few questions as I oil my noose:

a) I maintain multiple copies of games because of several reasons. NMM has an installation path and a way to store settings inside that folder, so, for example:

I can have D:\Games\FO4-001 for me with a D:\Games\NMM-001 for me too. These would work in tandem and maintain my game.

My girl can have D:\Games\FO4-002 for her with a D:\Games\NMM-002 for her.

These folders may or may not be the same version of NMM OR the game (I keep mine frozen to maintain mod compatibility)

Vortex seems to insta-deploy to C:\program files\Whatever which, no offense, could you not, mate, space on C may be at a premium this is my machine. Other than that, I see it maintains a per-user hardcoded path of settings and the like, making multiple copies impossible as they would share settings (i.e. install incompatible mod versions).

The profile feature seems to handle different mod configurations but not different game paths or mod versions.

TL;DR Question: Can I have 2 copies of a game and maintain them separately or do I need to revert to NMM?

b) The application has detected that a file is missing (I did it, I admit, I moved a tool outside its download location). Vortex refuses to import the profile because inconsistency. I have downloaded the .zip file and replaced it. Then it complained about the exe file (deployed tool). I manually fixed that. Now it still complains. I have deleted and uninstalled the mod from NMM. No use.

Why does it have to autistically refuse to import when it has not only 250 mods it could import and can't import 1, it has a button to "not import" the broken one and still the button is disabled. I'd rather have an incomplete 250 mod list that a complete list of 0.

TL;DR Question: Is there an obvious but easily missed way to partially import a profile? (i.e. salvage what's left of the mod list)

c) Seeing how unwieldy this program is (bordering on Virtual Machine, why won't you let me manually add games as I like?), is there a way to import a list of mods at least, from my account? Say build a list of mods I have downloaded and just one-click re-add them from my download history? Or is that a case of "nobody knows what FILE you downloaded so it's never going to happen"?

TL;DR Question: Any chance of automating the process of painstakingly re-adding all my files in from the web?

• 1 month later...

To be quite honest here, after all the time spent using NMM and having switched to Vortex, I am now back to using NMM. Seriously Vortex is a nightmare for most of us who just would like to play a modded game. It might be great for all of the supercalifragilisticespialidosious, probably spelled wrong, geek types out there but for us simple folk its just a pain in the sitting muscle.