A few tips from the focus group

Thallassa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I give up. I can't read the font, it's buggy, crammed, unstable and so far up its own design it's unusable.

Fortunately, I realized that NMM is still being updated and the only regret I have is that importing things to Vortex made my old setup not work. That's hours of work I am not getting back.

I didn't realize that Vortex is the work of whoever did Mod Organizer, if I did I would have stopped banging on about fonts, colors and bad UI seeing how he's been doing it for years and shows no signs of function over style.

(The ***** font is 4x5 pixels, white on light green. I can't believe this UI was made by someone developing professionally. There is no keyboard navigation. Icons are 14 pixels, white on light orange, 1 pixel line. God damn a regular monitor is 75 DPI, a letter is 5 human hairs wide how do you not understand UI?)

I'm pressing Post on this before I type 2 more pages in frustration.

TL;DR NMM still works, is still being developed.

Basically,vortex has ruined my ability to play my fave game.....even downloading with vortex and using nmm to do all the sorting etc hasn't worked out...vortex is not user friendly

This long time advice holds true now as it did back then - don't use multiple mod managers for the same game(s)!

• 3 weeks later...

What would be the best way of managing edited mods? I used to use NMM and would sometimes manually edit downloaded mods myself. Importing to Vortex from NMM imported the archived versions so the edits were lost.

Should I just delete the original mod and "install from file" the edited version? I liked being able to keep track of where they came from.

If I add my own mod to Vortex from a file, do any edits I make to it while it's in the game's data folder get reflected in Vortex's mod folder?

Edited by Timerider42

What would be the best way of managing edited mods? I used to use NMM and would sometimes manually edit downloaded mods myself. Importing to Vortex from NMM imported the archived versions so the edits were lost.

Should I just delete the original mod and "install from file" the edited version? I liked being able to keep track of where they came from.

If I add my own mod to Vortex from a file, do any edits I make to it while it's in the game's data folder get reflected in Vortex's mod folder?

Yes, your edits will be preserved. If you install a zipped version of the edited mod, then the unpacked version will be found in the Mod Staging Folder.

However, it's important that you first place the edited mod archive into the game Download Folder. Do not install from file. Rather, if your edited mod is unzipped, then zip it, drag and drop it into the Drop File(s) box on the Vortex mods page, and install it. Dropping it into the box will automatically place it into the Vortex Download folder for your game, and the mod will then automatically appear on your game mods page. If the edited mod is already zipped, then just drag and drop it into the box. The result is that you now have a zipped version of your customized mod in the Download folder. It needs to be in that folder if you ever wish to reinstall it.

To summarize: Do not install from file. Always place the archive in the Download Folder and then install from the Vortex mods page.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed most of the mods that were imported from NMM don't show up in the Download folder. Should I be concerned?

Please provide more detail, using the guidelines found here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7332636-how-to-post-request-support-for-vortex/.

Also I would suggest that you open this as a new thread in the Vortex Support Forum.

• 10 months later...

Wow! I just could no longer resist. I downloaded Vortex.

It's an amazing new device! It ALSO should be carefully studied; like any new toy!

I did the usual thing though. I played with it like I was a two year old trying to figure out what a strange object it is I found. Started poking at it to see what would happen. I accidentally turned on Gophers instruction video when I was tired of playing with it.

Yup! It's a really fine toy, tool, and Vortex is a good starter upper for someone with a new game. No mods, never downloaded a mod yet, those who have just got the game they want to play.

If you have downloaded a TON of mods which are already in the games Data folder. You'll suffer after a moment or two of fooling with Vortex< IF you don't study about it and take cautious steps to learn how to use it.> I wrote FOOLING WITH! :laugh:

I'll give you a clue about what will happen if you just jump in and start playing around like I did.

First. I had to set up folders. Wow! Was that ever confusing! I thought for sure it would find my game folder and the mod folder in the off side X: drive I installed it on without having to tell it, IT'S NOT ON C://Drive.

Playing with stuff is so much more fun because I can pretend to panic, knowing full well I am going to. Doing what I do; like a child who has never seen a Sandwich before. Peeling off the bread slices and looking at what's inside. I can go off the end of my rope and say, OH! NO! I made a mess. MOM! What are those black rings? Olives?! Aren't olives round and have a seed in the center?

Next I decided to get cleaned up and start over. Like I had just started school for the first time and it was DAY ONE... Time to learn to listen to the teacher. Do you remember how long your attention span was in Kindergarten? It was time to follow Gophers fun educational YouTube.

About 2 minutes passed and I was sitting there thinking. I thought; I already know how to use a mod organizer Tolfdir when do I get to do some magic stuff?

After 2 minutes I rolled it back to where the teacher taught and watched. Knowing full well I had created a mess having fun with it I watched and listened as Gopher did the best he could to hold my childlike attention to the steps required to begin.

WHAT A MESS I MADE! I paused Gophers YT. Where the first step was completed. NOW FOR SOME MORE FUN! LET'S DO IT AGAIN. I did what Gopher instructed and off I went on another round of play. PLAY uncontrolled unattended, unconcerned... If you plan to work in a Nuclear Power Plant when you grow bigger and look like an adult you don't have my permission to act like a child anymore with knobs and controls which do no harm... Unless you call harm, you not being able to get the game to play when you press the start button because it can no longer find the skyrimse.exe.

SO! Back to watching Gopher's (Kindergarten teachers) YT. After step 2! I had a new toy! I played and played and played always right up to the moment when a message appeared. The SKSE is needed for... The SkyUI isn't running because the SKSE is not installed.

Ha ha haaa ha. Yup! You guessed it. I followed the link to answer the question on how to Install the SKSE without continuing to watch teachers YT. And after I thought I had installed it perfectly I got the message. The game couldn't start because it can't find the skyrim launcher. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Okay! OKAY! I have had enough fun with Vortex. Now, let's get back to Gopher's YT.

And so the child who goes by the name of Pagafyr, fearing other children who have come from families from other countries, with different lifestyles, and home rules, (because they seem friendly until I get to know them better), Pagafyr gingerly begins again studying Vortex.

Study?! I want to do magic Tolfdir

• 5 months later...

vraag misschien hier niet op de juiste plaats maar ik zie door de bomen het bos niet meer ik speelde skyrim met nmm en mo2 maar sinds ik vortex heb gebruikt werkt mijn spel totaal niet zwart scherm

Werkt mo 2 en vortex niet samen heb nu game opnieuw geinstald maar zodra ik vortex aanzet bevriesd mijn personage

via steam start zeg het spel geen skse (staat wel in me vortex) en met vortex start bevriesd personage ????

wat doe ik fout ,goed naar instructie film Gopher zelfde stappen gedaan